“Scone again...”

Gorgeous
Ranked #37 of 142 Restaurants in St. Andrews
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Scone again...”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

So, I went in to get a takeaway scone. The scones they have in the window; the really huge, delicious, tempting ones. Yeah, those ones. I got my £1.40 ready and waited in line. There were two people serving, and two people in front of me. One had ordered multiple paninis which were already toasting, and the other a few coffees. The woman behind the counter bantered with the both of them, as they were clearly regulars. She ignored me. Having made the coffees and spent some time wrapping up the paninis whilst i stood like a lemon, she then busied herself not paying any attention to me. I don't ask for much; maybe a 'be with you in a minute'... I suppose I wouldn't have minded if it was a big order that would have taken more than a second, and she probably hadn't noticed I was standing with my money ready. As it was, it grated that mine would have taken a few seconds but i stood feeling awkward for a good 7 minutes (which is a really long time to stand in a tiny room whilst everyone else in it is having a conversation...). Finally the chap, who had returned from upstair, came and asked what i wanted. I asked for the special scone, which was chocolate and strawberry. Turns out it was £2.50 not £1.40 like a raisin scone. Because a strawberry really increases the production cost....

Anyhow, I was offered butter, etc which i turned down. Having finally got out, i tucked in. The bad; the strawberries and chocolate chips had been rolled into the dough, so there was only one very thin layer of them in the middle of the scone. Disappointing; i really hoped it would be dispersed throughout and rich with flavour. The good; the scone itself was utterly delicious, incredibly soft and buttery and awesome. The chocolate and strawberry that was there complemented it wonderfully and simply made the massive scone even moister. TBH, I wouldn't have been peeved at all at paying £2.50 as it was so nice and big, if the regular scone hadn't been quite so much cheaper.

So to summaries; incredible scones, not enough flavouring, large sizes, actually good value (and the sultana ones are great value!) but crummy service. Will I be back? Yes, but I'll resent it as I enjoy my treat...

• Visited March 2013

Aberdeen
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Throw back in time”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stopped in here on Monday afternoon - went upstairs to the dining area, a chipwood painted wallpaper throwback to the 60s badly decorated with old kitchen accessories - cold and lifeless. Equally lifeless was the waitress who appeared at our table 15 minutes after seating and just stared at us - we assumed she wanted an order so placed one and after another 15 minutes my order appeared - a roll with 2 slices of rock hard dry bacon along with a luke warm coffee. Waitress seemed very confused when we requested tomato ketchup. We hurriedly left and I can honestly say I now know why chains like Starbucks have all but killed places like this - for one they know to present HOT food.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank JGT984
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
“great brownies, nice sitting area, cozy and friendly!”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The best thing at gorgeous is without doubt the salted caramel chocolate brownie!!!
My savoury fvourite is the lentil soup, which is their staple soup every day :).
They have a cute retro seating area upstairs which is well worth a sunday afternoon! Friendly staff and cozy! Definitely a great place in St Andrews!

Visited February 2013
2 Thank victoria_chloe
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Good grub, good prices, good service”
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Ducked in here for a quick bite while visiting St. Andrews.
Five of us were quickly seated and served promptly by helpful staff.

While the food we ordered, being mainly bagels and paninni's, hardly stressed huge kitchen, the food was served promptly and was of good quality.
My haggis, cranberry and cheese panini was really tasty!!

Would recommend.

2 Thank dwebb66
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful, fresh food”
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Can't believe how picky people are having read the other review!! You are in St Andrews, it's generally a bit posh a bit pretentious and expensive. This place isn't any of above. Staff fine, efficient, upstairs is not a big area but they are busy with lots of people coming and going and staff are very busy... Coffee lovely big cup, fresh (£2.30). Food homemade and they cater for vegis. My husband had drliciois vegi bagel (£5.60) and i had homemade soup with lovely roll (£3.20) Yes decor not the best, it's a little shabby but its clean! if you want posh, go round the corner to a somewhere posher and pay double the price.