“Service far too slow”

Ranked #22 of 154 Restaurants in St. Andrews
Cuisines: Contemporary, Bar, Grill
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: In the heart of St Andrews with a fresh take on contemporary dining using the finest locally sourced produce. The perfect place to eat, drink and socialize. Separate contemporary cocktail and wine bar which is open: Monday - Thursday 17.00 - late Friday 15.00 - 01.00 Saturday 12.00 - 01.00 Sunday 15.00 - late
Reviewed August 11, 2018

We have been to the Adamson a few times. Today we called by and decided to have a light lunch outside. Because we were going to sit outside I went in to first ask if the table was free and then to say my wife and I would take it. A couple of minutes later a waitress came out took our drink and food order. The food order, a very simple salad for my wife and eggs Florentine for me. After about 20 minutes a couple behind us received their order of Eggs Florentine or Benedict, they had arrived after us. After 30 minutes our lunch arrived, my dish was completely cold, eggs, hollandaise and spinach. I took it inside to complain and after another fifteen minutes an acceptable replacement arrived by which time my wife had finished her salad. We decided not to order anything else and requested the bill, again this took far too long and so I went inside to investigate to be told that they had no change!

A lady who I took to be the supervisor or manageress came to apologise saying they were very busy, yet there were plenty of free tables inside and out. No one said when we ordered it might be a long wait as they were very busy and it was difficult to keep and eye on tables outside. The message is, if your kitchen is unable to cope with a busy period close off tables don't leave people waiting and if you cannot surpise tables outside don't use them. We were given a small reduction to our bill which I left as a tip.

When I go to a restaurant of any sort whether a burger bar of Michelin starred restaurant all I ask is that each establishment delivers what they offer and provide it in a timely and correctly presented manner. I don't want excuses or refunds.

127theadamson, Manager at The Adamson, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2018

Dear Guest,

Before I respond officially to your review it would be helpful if you could let me know how to contact you.
Please call the restaurant on 01334 479191 or contact us by email info@theadamson.com.

Ken Dalton
Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,245)

Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

Met a great chap on a recent boat trip in Germany from Carnoustie. He treated us to a wonderful dinner here and boy did we have a blast. Had the best old fashion I have ever had, and a wonderful meal to boot. If you like a fun place with character, this is the place to be.

127theadamson, Manager at The Adamson, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2018

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive review. Delighted to hear that you enjoyed our food & cocktails. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 8, 2018

You know you are onto a winner when the olives and bread that are served up as you wait for your drinks, are the best olives and bread you’ve ever tasted! The quality of the food we had as well as the efficient and friendly staff is something to behold. Oftentimes I am disappointed by the standard of food in restaurants as it is not much better than I can do at home....not here though...these pro’s at The Adamson showed me how real cooking was done and I couldn’t be happier. Everything we had was delicious and exciting, not your average stuff here. If you are looking for a treat and are prepared to pay a fair price for excellence, go here.

Dear Garry,

What a fantastic review to receive! When a guest uses words like "Beyond amazing" we can only be very proud. Absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Adamson. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

Being a gin drinker I like to try different gins. I feel this place has limited choice of gin and tonic having only 1 choice Fevertree. Also a bit pricey.

1  Thank Dorothy B

Dear Dorothy,

Thank you for your review. The Adamson Bar takes pride in stocking premium products. Selecting the gin offerings for our guests is extremely important to choose the right quality of liquor both as a perfect serve and within our cocktails. We believe that our selection of 20 premium gins offers an excellent choice and together with mixers of Fever Tree tonic with 4 varieties of: regular, slimline, aromatic & mediterranean provides an ideal combination. In addition, we have 10 gin cocktails available for guests, which change in accordance with international trends. If you have a recommended gin that we don't have, please let us know.

Reviewed August 7, 2018 via mobile

4 of us stopped for lunch and had an enjoyable meal. Two courses for £12.99 a good price for St Andrews.
The starters were all good, hummus with pomegranate was excellent, calamari good and the soup of the day.
Steak sandwich was a little tough but sister in law accepts that ordering it medium rare was never a great idea. My smoked haddock was very good.
Our waitress was very efficient but very busy and did not seem to be getting much support.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks or your review. Delighted you enjoyed your meal with us. The Steak sandwich is a bavette cut and should always be ordered medium and above. We hope to see you again soon.