“Family friendly”

St Andrews Tourist Hostel
Basel, Switzerland
“Family friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2010

Cute hostel. WE stayed in a dorm but had single beds, which was a treat.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

I stayed at this hostel with a friend for a few nights in June.

On arriving i had to walk around town with all my luggage waiting for it to open (i arrived at 5 and it's closed from 3-6pm). On arrival we were told that the kitchen (which has free teat and coffee) was closed from 10pm until 8am - so we had no way of making any food, drinks from the time we were getting in and then were up and out before being able to use the kitchen in the morning so we had to eat breakfast out. We went to Zest and had porridge - so that turned out ok, inspite of the hostel.

The beds were all bunks and all of them squeaked. my other two friends had mattresses which were so thin they could feel the base on the bunk through them. When we got up on two out of the three days we were so early (7.30-7.45) they hadn't switched the hot water on, so we all had cold showers - although this was refreshing - it's not what we paid for.

Really a very poor hostel for any town let alone the type of town St Andrews is. St Andrews itself was lovely - it could do with a hostel that offer much better facilities.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these St. Andrews hotels

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2009

Ed is the manager and he's awesome, the entire staff was very warm and welcoming. I'd never left the USA before, so I was nervous about everything when I arrived, but I felt very secure there. Internet is a little difficult to deal with unless you have your own laptop, but would totally go back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Lakeville, MN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2009

I stayed in this hostel three years ago and was satisfied with it. Unfortunately, this time that was not the case. When I checked in, I discovered that there were no sheets for the beds. It was explained that because the town was packed due to graduation at the University of St. Andrews, they did not get the sheets back from the laundry. Excuse me, graduation happens every year. Deal with it. There was no hot water in the main bathroom, leaving only one shower for the entire hostel. Apparently the boiler was worked on that day and and the thermostat was set too low. By the time I left around noon the next day, the staff still had not fixed the situation. The staff only stays until about 10PM. The girl on duty was more interested in drinking wine with her friends than helping out customers. The kitchen was a mess. No one had cleaned it up. The beds were unbelievably uncomfortable. Might as well sleep on your box spring at home. I had a front room and we needed the window open for ventilation. Massive party in the street until 2AM. Good luck with sleeping. Fortunately, I was able to leave the next day. I spoke to someone who was also staying there (but trying to leave also) and he said a bunch of drunken Australian lads showed up very late with their girlfriends who stayed over. He was able to escape the next day. The best thing about the hostel was they refunded my advance payment with no problem when I left. I am an experienced hostel visitor, and used to the "colorful" nature of hostel life, but this is the worse experience I have ever had. Too bad, it has a great location and atmosphere, but it would seem that management and supervision has badly slipped from the last time I visited.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
kerry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

Stayed here for 5 nights as part of a group of 4 adult male golfers. we had no problem negotiating the stairwell with golf bags cases etc. the hostel is well run very clean and very secure. the place including the lounge was properly lit and we had absolutely no problems. any requests we had were met in a prompt and friendly manner. the location is absolutely ideal close to all the st andrews trust golf courses, golf shops a few nice pubs and restaurants.
we would use this hostel again without any problem, for 4 lads this was an ideal value stay for our golf trip.
we will be back

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2006

Firstly it was quite difficult to find the hostel. There are no big labels showing the location. I had to go to the TIC to ask for the directions of the place, even then, it was still misleading. It's actually upstairs from the Grill house, and you have to find a narrow alley way to get to the hostel. Not the most ergonomic if you have a big suitcase. And then negotiate a narrow stairwell to get to the reception area. Again, forget large suitcases.

The facilities there are quite decent. Nice clean shower and toilet facilities, bunks are neat, and there is a nice lounge and kitchen. The kitchen facilities I must say are quite up there with the best hostels that I have stayed. Toaster, Oven, stoves that work, cutlery for every imaginable cooking activity. Fridges and even communal items like salt, pepper, coffee, tea, milk, peanut butter, butter, raw pasta and macaroni.

Now the gripes. Rather stingy with the towels. I think I speak for all the hostels in the whole of UK. What's this thing about renting towels? I mean how much can the laundry cost be? Next the sheets, I don't know how anyone can squeeze the mattresses into the sheets. I ended up sleeping on the sheets without properly fitting the mattress into the sheets. And this was after a fiftenn minute struggle in the middle of the night trying to squeeze the damn thing into the sheets.

And what about pillowcases? Apparently pillow cases were not part of the 13 pound tarif. Which leads me to ask all the backpackers out there---anyone routinely carry their own pillow cases? Quite frankly, I though pillow cases were far more important than bed sheets. St Andrews tourist hostel obviously doesn't agree with me.

The lounge is ok in the daytime. That's only because there are no lights!!! There is only one pathetic night light serving the lounge. I guess that's what their idea of romanticizing the atmosphere of the lounge at night. But in a country where the skies are perenially grey, and where the sun sets not long after lunch time, I would appreciate some decent lighting in the lounge, not for anything more practical than to be able to look at what exactly I am eating for dinner! So SATH, let there be more light!

otherwise, the location cannot be beaten. It's right on Market street, just next to a grocery store (Tesco I think) so no worries about going hungry. The store even opens till late at night (12 midnight!!!). At least there are some things that are cheap in this country---dairy products and bread. Important cos eating out in UK costs an arm and a leg.

• Liked — see my review
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Chinaboy