“A great intro to a leading hotel of the world”

Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in St. Andrews
Edinburgh
“A great intro to a leading hotel of the world”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

Expecting a lot from our first stay at a leading hotel of the world and it certainly delivered.

The room overlooked the 17th hole, I think. Large room. Big bathroom. A little aged here and there.

We travelled with our baby son. The touches to provide us with a baby bathing seat and a little tiger puppet was greatly received. To this day nearly 6 months on my son still plays with the puppet.

Lunch at the restaurant upstairs was simply fantastic for £15 per person for 3 courses. High chairs provided...messy baby food...great view....great service.

Breakfast was not in the same standard. It seemed to be quite a stampede of bodies running everywhere and a little disorganised. Ah well its breakfast and everyone is hungry. who cares if we had to wait a little.

The door men were not in the same league of friendliness as a hotel we visited in Lausanne so marking down on this front.

Upon checking out the lady at the front desk knew our names much to our surprise having not met here before. Nice tough.

All in all a great stay. We will be back and hopefully to a more welcome smile at the door.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 8---AW---LW---8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Finnish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

Beautiful room. Beautiful view. (And the windows crack for fresh air). All the best in a bathroom: shower, tub, adequate but not ridiculous space. Helpful staff. Amazing concierge. The best of all the breakfasts we had on our Scotland Golf trip. St. Andrews is a lovely place to visit, and it was easy to walk to town, golf, beach from the hotel. Although I thought at first I would rather have stayed in an older place with "charm" - the comfort and staff completely won me over. And, for charm, there is always the Jigger Inn next door or an easy walk to town for plenty! Our husbands were completely happy with the assistance from the "Golf Department" of the hotel too!

Room Tip: I think the rooms with the golf view are worth it!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

Looking over the 17th and 18th holes of the old course at St. Andrew's in a room that really is a suite. Luxurious sitting area in rich fabric....fabric on some of the walls. King sized bed with the highest quality linens. Beautifully appointed bathroom and the room had a half bath also. Panoramic windows. Truly the highest of quality...we were sad to leave.
The staff, to a person, was incredible.
Wish I could just live there!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hlsgolf
Strathaven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

We were lucky enough to stay in this hotel as a special treat for my husbands 30th birthday. My husband is a keen golfer, I booked a room with a golf view. It was a stunning room and we found the staff very friendly and could not do more to help us. Complementary champagne and canopies were delivered to our room, we were made to feel most welcome. Breakfast was delicious and we again enjoyed the view of the golf course. Hopefully we will be fortunate enough to visit this amazing hotel again in the future.

Room Tip: I would pay that little extra for a golf view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gordonandfiona
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

Great venue and really enjoyable day.
Very well organised and everyone had an excellent time.
Stunning surroundings and special mention to Alan the Barman who looked after a bunch of us with an exceptional level of service!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

Stayed here for a single night after a wedding. I grew up in the town so this was an indulgence. This is a hotel that oozes quality throughout. The staff are well trained the rooms first class and breakfast as well as being delicious overlooks the most famous golf course in the world. I would love to have stayed longer and enjoyed the rooftop hot tub but the pool and steam rooms were a lovely way to start the day. Needless to say all fitments in the bathrooms etc are by Kohler!

Room Tip: Overlooking the golf course and if money is no object then one of the suites would be lovely.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Beaks21
philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

Many if not every golfers dream is to stay here with an Old Course view. I could go on and on about what was very good like the food, service, the decor, but one thing would keep me from returning and it was the bed. Dear God what were they thinking!

We were promptly taken to our beautiful fairway suite with a breathtaking view of the 17th fairway. The room was HUGE with 2 rooms and 2 baths. Amazing. Then i walked into the bedroom and was greeted to a seemingly queen bed. Not appropriate for me and my son, but they assured me " no worries" we will make it into two. ??? Well they did, it was actually 2 single bed put together. They were smaller than my college dorm room bed. When I layed on my back a roll onto your side would promptly deposit you on the floor. No joke. I couldn't believe it. This beautiful room and hotel and these jokes of a bed. It ruined it for me. I got maybe 4 hours of sleep a night going from course to course like a zombie. I have a suggestion for the management. Go to a Ritz Carlton and check out their beds, better yet a Holiday inn in the states have 2 queens!,

So if your staying as a couple I suppose the 2 beds together may be all right but 2 singles.. Forget it. Stay elsewhere

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank gniconovich
OldCourseHotel, General Manager at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay.

I am sorry to learn you did not enjoy a good night’s sleep. The beds in the Fairway Suites are King Size, typical of UK Standards, which can be twinned by separating into two single beds or zipped together to provide a king size bed. I believe US beds may be bigger and I am aware that in the US, double double rooms are quite usual and that some hotel chains in Europe can provide this also. I do apologise if you found the single bed to be too small but unfortunately most of the beds in our hotel are configured this way and our rooms do not have the square footage to hold two doubles.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your positive comments and please contact me directly if you are staying in St Andrews and we can look at customising a room for your comfort.

With kind regards,