“Birthday weekend to remember!”

Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in St. Andrews
Kinross, United Kingdom
“Birthday weekend to remember!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

My 4 year old boy walked into reception and all he said was "wow".......this is our 3rd visit to the Old Course Hotel and once again a fantastic weekend. We booked a suite this year since it was our son's first visit and we were upgraded to a Deluxe Suite.
The welcome and service your receive at this hotel is second to none.....I'm already looking to book up again for next year!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Finnish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

Popped in for a coffee as it was an extremely cold day and we thought we would treat ourselves. We sat in the library which was very cosy. That's where the experience went downhill as no-one came to take our order as promised by the receptionist, for what seemed like ages. We asked for three coffees and one glass of tap water and waited and waited again.....Our order arrived with lovely shortbread but the coffee was in the saucer and a bottle or mineral water had arrived instead of the tap water. I asked aout this and was told that she (the waitress) was given it by another member of staff and that I shouldn't worry as I wouldn't be charged for it....I checked the bill, (After we had to chase the bill up after 15 mins) I was going to be charged nearly £2 for it, so I'd didnt drink it. The coffee was nearly £4 a cup......

We won't be back....

Stayed April 2012
4 Thank Pinkwindsor
OldCourseHotel, General Manager at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the Old Course Hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to offer you our sincere apologies for both the delay with your service and the error regarding the tap water you ordered. Please be assured that we view customer service as a fundamental key element in delivering a five star experience, and we will be working hard to improve our service in this particular area.

I am sorry that we did not succeed in delivering a positive experience on this occasion and can only hope that you will choose to visit us again in the future, giving us another opportunity to make a more favourable impression.

With kind regards,

Daniel Pereira
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

The service was excellent. I loved that room service breakfast was included and it was delivered perfectly and on time.

Stayed May 2011
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

The massage was wonderful, the spa and hot tub on the roof fantastic, the bedroom (and view of the iconic Old Course) outstanding but the entire experience was marred by poor service and terrible food in Sands restaurant. There were only 8 people dining in the entire restaurant the evening we ate there yet the wait for service, drinks and food was interminable. The attitude of staff was very poor and the food way below the standard expected. Poor show for a hotel of such status. Don't eat here under any circumstances.

1 Thank DuthieDuck
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Old Course Hotel. I am very concerned to read your comments regarding your dining experience at our Sands Restaurant. May I ask you to contact me at the Hotel directly as I would welcome the opportunity of discussing your comments further. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your positive comments.

With kind regards,

Daniel Pereira
Montrose
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband recently took me here for one night for my birthday. It was a surprise and I have to admit that my initial thoughts when seeing the enormous modern building were mixed. However the minute we set foot inside those feelings changed. The service was amazing! We don't normally stay in hotels like this and were made to feel very special from the moment we arrived. We were greeted by a charming man in a kilt (in case you needed to be reminded where we were) and our bags were whisked up to our room. We didn't have to lift a finger. Check in was fast and we were offered a glass of chilled prosecco to take with us. Our room was clean, comfortable and spacious. An enormous bed with stacks of lovely pillows. It all felt very luxurious. I had casually mentioned when checking in that it was my birthday - that evening we were offered more complimentary prosecco and delicious canapes (delivered to our room) as well as a birthday card that was signed by the manager. A really lovely touch. The spa was great and staff all extremely helpful without being obtrusive. We ate in the Road Hole restaurant and again the service was exemplary. We were made to feel so welcome. We are not seasoned 5-star diners, and this probably showed, but the staff were really warm and helpful and helpful without being pushy or obtrusive. We had a window table and the views were magical. The food was extraordinary. When we got back to our room everything was tidy, the bed turned down and teas/coffees etc. replenished. The breakfast the next morning was wonderful. Complimentary newspapers and a choice of a la carte or buffet. Everything was fresh and delicious and again the attention to detail was very noticeable. Staff were on hand at all times, clearing away plates and getting you things. We hung around for a while reading the paper and were not made to feel rushed. Later we went to the bar area next door to continue reading the paper and there was more coffee and tea available there as well as pastries. My husband said that checking out of the hotel was really efficient and organised - no waiting or strange things on the bill. It obviously wasn't a cheap weekend but I would completely recommend it for a special occasion. This was definitely one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in.

1 Thank AMcScotland
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here over the Easter Weekend. It was my first time at this hotel and would hope not my last.
Every last detail was perfect. All staff, without exception, were extremely helpful and courteous.
The gym, pool and spa facilities were great. I had a facial which was a great experience
We ate in the Jiggers Inn which was nice "pub food" and had a nice casual atmosphere and had cocktails on the 4th floor.
My partner played golf twice over the 4 days, on the Old and New Courses which he enjoyed thoroughly.

Room Tip: Ropoms overlooking the 17th hole are very special