“Very special hotel”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in St. Andrews
edinburgh
“Very special hotel”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Old course is extremely special, the service is amazing, and hotel is definatley 5 star! Spa was one of the best Ive been to and my partner had a compimentary round of golf on the Dukes course which he loved

Great hotel x

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Finnish first
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed here for a night to celebrate my Wife's birthday. The service from check in to check out was fabulous. It was exactly the kind of service I expect at a 5 star hotel. The decor is wonderful, the spa is amazing and the location is perfect. However, all of these details are forgotten if the service is poor and the service is anything but poor. The most attentive, courteous and polite staff I have experienced. Well done to everyone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hornbaek, Denmark
Reviewed April 19, 2012

This was my 6th visit to this hotel and as always, I enjoyed the stay. The rooms are nice, the facilties excellent and a majority of the staff is doing a good job. I expect a lot of the international staff is hired in now, when the high season starts. This results in very different levels of service from the staff, which is not acceptable in a five star property. But I am shure they save a lot on the salary account!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NEClausen
OldCourseHotel, General Manager at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Old Course Hotel.

I would like to start by offering you our sincere apologies for any shortfall in service that you experienced during your stay with us.

We do employ a number of seasonal staff each year in line with the start of the Golf season. I would like to assure you, that we view customer service as one of the fundamental keys in delivering the five star experiences that our guests have come to expect from a property of our standard.

Your comments have been helpful to us in terms of our ongoing training and development program for our seasonal associates and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future.

With kind regards

Daniel Pereira
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2012

First off. This is a great hotel. I have only seen service like this at a four seasons or fairmont.

Price: rooms are pricey, but if you want to be on the road hole 17th over looking the course. This is the place to be.

Rooms. Fantastic. Clean, big, and very welcoming. The bathrooms are very nice and the beds are fantastic.

Staff: nothing like it. I have never been to a place where after check in, everybody knew who I was. Everything you need, they are there to make you stay the best.

Food: had lunch at the restaurant on the fourth floor, an the view was amazing. Food was fantastic and prices were reasonable.

I will be back.

• Stayed April 2012
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Just back from a wonderful 2 night stay at the iconic Old Course Hotel. We started our stay with some treatments in the spa - and excellent it was too. The welcome and therapists were delightful and massages excellent. Nice thermal suite and chill out area. Not quite up to the Gleneagles spa superlative standards, but not far off. We had a huge Eden Suite which was just gorgeous. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the huge bathtub was fab. As it was a special occasion for us reception sent up some champagne and canapés which was a lovely touch. Breakfasts were brilliant - superb service and wonderful food cooked to order - the eggs Benedict were the best I've ever had. Sandra - the breakfast manager - runs a brilliant team, she's fab.

Throughout the hotel we found top class and attentive service with one notable exception - Sands Restaurant. Service was rushed and harassed, and at the same time painfully slow - guests were complaining and leaving because their food was taking so long to arrive. The menu is uninspired and really dull and way overpriced. We had a mashed potato side - it was cold so we asked it to be replaced. It cam back cold, again. The atmosphere of the place? Non existent - it's soulless, boring and completely at odds with the rest of the hotel. It's so far from 5 star that it's embarrassing for them. The OCH isn't known for its food - and I don't understand that. Why on earth don't they find a young ambitious chef with Michelin aspirations and give her or him a revamped Sands I don't know. At the moment it's one to avoid.
We'll definitely go back to the hotel (if they'll let me in after this review) as it is wonderful and with superb Scottish hospitality. We'll just avoid Sands!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rmlj
OldCourseHotel, General Manager at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Old Course Hotel. We endeavour to offer our guests a service that is as close to perfect as possible so I am very sorry to learn of your experience at the Sands Restaurant. I have passed your comments to our Food & Beverage Director to assist with our ongoing training needs and product development.

I would also like to thank you for your positive comments concerning the other areas of the Hotel which I will share with my team.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future.

With kind regards,

Daniel Pereira
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We have stayed in the Old Course several times and always found it to be impeccable. The rooms facing the course and the sea are stunning. Fabulous service. Simply cannot fault anything. Love it!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2012

-The best of this hotel is the view of the golf course. We stayed in an "Eden room" (w/o view of the golf course) and found the room experience average of a 4-5 star hotel
-Spa is very good, massage very professional, gym of good size but view is unfortunately not great
-Food and wine are of good quality and taste, but not nearly Michelin. We liked the grill better than the restaurant in the 4th floor (fillet has very good taste but was unevenly cooked)
-Service was very good. Thumbs up people!
-Overall, I guess it depends on priorities, for the same budget I'd rather invest in great food and more boutique experiences (e.g. the Waterside Inn). This hotel is way too big, and beyond view, not special

Room Tip: Make sure you choose room with view to the golf course otherwise not worth it