“Waste of money”

St Andrews Aquarium
Ranked #12 of 63 things to do in St. Andrews
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Step through our doors and be transported into an underwater world of adventure and discovery. Come face to face with some of the most beautiful, fascinating and dangerous creatures of the watery worlds. From British sharks to spiders, lobsters to lionfish, poison dart frogs to piranhas, loveable seals...... and not to forget our fabulous meerkats. Get up close and personal with our daily interactive demonstrations which include Seal feeding at 12 noon and 3pm, Penguin feeding at 2pm, reptile and snake handling sessions at 11.20am and 2.20pm and an informative talk and feeding sessions with our family of Meerkats at 12.20pm and 3.20pm.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Took my grandson to the aquarium today and was very disappointed at how much it cost and how little there was too see it cost£25 for 2 adults and 1 child of 8 with student discount and we had seen everything in just over 1/2 an hour

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Visited the aquarium with my partner and 7 month old, who was amazed with all the different fish, seals, penguins and strangely meerkats. The selection is amazing if limited and the set-up is great with viewing possible even for a baby in a buggy due to the low windows. It was great to go around but the disappointment comes with how small the aquarium is, took us less that 45 minutes. If the price had been a little lower (we payed £10 each and our son was free) then I would have given it a higher rating.

If you don't mind the price I'd still recommend going, you will be impressed with the selection of animals, just sad there isn't much much more.

Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

My boy enjoyed it when he was younger but now he is 9 he thinks its average
if it was in England I'd rate it as poor but as its in an area that lacks things to do and places to visit it gets an average
if you live here then I'd say its worth a visit once a year when kids are young as St. Andrews is nice in the centre anyway!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My daughter had requested to go for her 3rd Birthday, and as we are local but had never been I thought it would be a good afternoon.
I was astounded at the price, more so when I got to the other end in 15 minutes and realised that was it!

The cafe was being worked on at the time of our visit, as was the toilets. Not ideal with a three year old, but then the time we were there it didn't matter to us.

To give you an idea of what you're getting, you walk in and pay then go through a door and down some stairs to to the first room which is tropical fish, piranhas, frogs, turtles etc. My daughter enjoyed this room as she could see most of the displays.

Once you complete this room you walk through doors to the cold water creatures. It's not great as all the tanks are so dark you can't see half the creatures. This is a smaller empty room, and you very quickly get to the other end. Once through this door you can walk outside to the seals or down to the shark and meerkats. If it's raining and cold the seals are not worth seeing unless it's bang on feeding time as the balcony sits in a position that will get you soaking very quickly.
The meerkats are ok to watch however I personally hated the smell.
The shark was my daughter's favourite, however it's a very small shark. Having been to London aquarium and seeing the sharks I was shocked how small this one was, and it has no choice but to circle round and around... Nevertheless kids enjoy it.
For the shark you can go up stairs to a display platform for a birdseye view.
After this room you're pretty much done, the rest has a few tanks including a snake and a tarantula (I avoided these) and a rock pool thing which was empty.

I also found there was too much stairs, no way at all a wheelchair user would manage. I has my baby in a sling, thank goodess, as it was narrow in places and my pushchair would not have gone around with ease and all the lifting would have really annoyed me.

All in all, disappointing and we won't be returning.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We went to the aquarium this morning, really enjoyed the visit!! it was very closed we miss the visit, our we boy was terrified to go downstairs and see spiders and python snake, but reception girl explain everything so clearly for him, he wasn't afraid any more, we been impressed how kind and compassionate she was. Place was educational for children and adults, we spent two hours and watching the feeding session was great experience, absolutely in love with seals! we definitely be back!