“Worth a visit - once.”

St Andrews Aquarium
Ranked #15 of 54 things to do in St. Andrews
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Step through our doors and be transported into an underwater world of adventure and discovery. Come face to face with some of the most beautiful, fascinating and dangerous creatures of the watery worlds. From British sharks to spiders, lobsters to lionfish, poison dart frogs to piranhas, loveable seals...... and not to forget our fabulous meerkats. Get up close and personal with our daily interactive demonstrations which include Seal feeding at 12 noon and 3pm, Penguin feeding at 2pm, reptile and snake handling sessions at 11.20am and 2.20pm and an informative talk and feeding sessions with our family of Meerkats at 12.20pm and 3.20pm.
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Worth a visit - once.”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Bus 99 30min journey from Dundee. Easy to find from shopping area, only a short walk. You could visit cathedral, castle then this, all fairly close together. Enjoyed the pool talk, feeding the seals and feeding the meerkats!!! Same lass did all three. Affordable entrance fee, just about worth the money.

Visited March 2013

• Greek first
lincoln
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Great couple of hours”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

very affordable entrance to a well maintained aquarium complete with meerkats! Great fun to watch & the seals were a delight.

Visited March 2013
Dundee
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“I love it here!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I am a regular visitor to St Andrews Aquarium, I visit for work as part of 1:1 Support with Young People. A wander around the Aquarium is always a lot of fun and even though I tend to go almost once a week during the Winter months, I never get bored. For the last 2 years in a row I have bought the Winter Pass through GroupOn for £16 which allows me unlimited visits between November and the end of February for up to 2 Aduls and 3 Children.

Lately, each time I visit, something has changed place or something new has been added. This keeps it interesting and the variations of the exhibits are great. Some of the signage could do with being checked as the frames cut off some of the writing and there is a lot of temporary signage but I assume this is due to all of the new exhibits and I imagine this will be updated and replaced in due course.

All in all, a great place to visit and definitley worth a trip, especially if you see the Winter Pass offer.

1 Thank Jordana G
Scotland
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Can see most of the attractions for free in my local pet shop”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I can only assume the lack of attractions and staff is because it's out of season however if this is the case perhaps a smaller entrance fee should be charged.
I parked in the car park just down the road from the aquarium and parking is free there until April so that was a bonus.
On entering the aquarium we were met by a polite lady who told us to go downstairs to the toilets and attractions. So far so good.
Although the fish were nice, especially the stonefish, a lot of the fish can be seen and bought from your local pet shop e.g. discus, angel fish, clownfish, Malawi cichlids etc, It may just be because I've been to many aquariums but there was nothing I hadn't seen before, even the bearded dragons are not a rarity these days (but did appear well looked after). There was even a poorly clownfish lying on the bottom of the big cylindrical display that looked like it was ill but there were too few staff so couldn't mention it to them.
When I was looking at the tarantula there were drips of water landing on my head from above. There appeared to be some kind of maintenance work going on near the seals which put us off from going to see them. The shark pool appeared to only have one shark in it and there seemed to be only one mudskipper for some reason. And much to my mothers disappointment the rays she'd hoped to see had been moved to another aquarium in MacDuff.
There were empty invertebrate tanks that said would be filled some time this year as well as a larger empty tank that was left drained.
The meerkats were a welcome albeit somewhat odd attraction to find in an aquarium but they were lovely to watch, healthy and in a well maintained enclosure. Feeding time was most enjoyable to watch and the colleague who did the talk appeared enthusiastic, personable and informative and should be acknowledged as such.
On leaving, there was no staff in the gift shop should we have wanted to buy something and the café appeared to be closed at half past three and as the weather was awful that day we could have been doing with a lovely hot cuppa.
Enjoyed what I saw but left a little disappointed at the lack of things to see and do there and unfortunately with Deep Sea World not being too far away I would urge them to up their game a little.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Meerkats”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Good fun and educational, though maybe a little tired. Meerkats were an extra bonus and staff very friendly.