“Steak barn”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We visited the steak barn on a sunny day having seen it many times from the farm shop. Set in a barn, it is rustic decor, and you are effectively outside so dress accordingly. We both had the burgers and it was extremely good. All the meats are barbequed over a wood fire, and are beautifully cooked. Chips and salad accompany well, and the tomatoe chutney was outstanding. Well worth a visit for first rate barbeque, and a relaxed lunch or early dinner in covered open air

3  Thank Osker17
Write a ReviewReviews (1,219)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is a gem of a place if you love food in general. It has a great eating area plus after you can shop for loads of fabulous food. All the meat is reared by the farm and has an amazing meat section. I've had coffee there and they have lovely home baked goodies to go with that. I also have had lunch which didn't disappoint . Lovel welcome from the staff also.

1  Thank mrsp188113
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Excellent food and meat; found it by coincidence on our way to Dundee and had an excellent lunch! Service was a bit 'bumpy' with some stuff, but the food was worth it! I would buy my meat there if I lived nearby! Price was reasonable. I will definitely pay a visit next time I am in St. Andrews..

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I visit balgove roughly once a month. Wonderful place for friends and family to come, still feel there are issues with the driveway and this time wasn't as impressed with the service in the cafe. Young staff very pleasant but older ones -one middle aged in particular- felt it appropriate to ignore us to talk to male visitors- slightly upsetting.even had to ask a girl for desert orders whilst her workmate laughed with visitors. Never the less, food was spectacular as was the service from the friendly younger staff. Would just like to remind others they are not there for the jolly just to serve customers. Shop layout is brilliant. Love the fresh fish counter and the deli staff are wonderful, lots of samples and knowledge even the young ones. Butchery lovely but often there is a wait for the butchers to surface from their workshop.
Pros- lovely HOT food(a must for me)
Mostly wonderful service
Fresh produce
Large cake selection
bread and butter pudding to die for
Cons- awful driveway
For the first time, less than a average service

1  Thank Anna C
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We had previously eaten in the main cafeteria & enjoyed the food & service. However the barn is a different experience with no staff to welcome you and no menus provided. The steaks are very good but they really need to get their service into order - I overheard the chef on a few occasions & it was apparent that he shared our views.

4  Thank 704Ronnie