“reliable”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Have been a few times whilst visiting my son. It has now become a 'must-do' during my stay. wonderful farm shop with lots of goodies to tempt you. Fab butchers and deli. we always take home something for tea/dinner. staff very friendly and helpful. good food.lge portions. good value. Always look forward to it. loos are amazing!!!!. Early lunch is advisable as they get VERY busy.

2  Thank Angela W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,156)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visited for lunch today on a trip to St Andrews. Despite it being 1.30pm the venue was busy and we had a short wait for a table. The surroundings were pleasant and the staff were polite. There was a nice choice of food on the menu and both my husband and myself really enjoyed our lunch. He had fish, chips and salad which came with amazingly good tartare sauce. I had pheasant, mash and red cabbage which was very tasty. Both were generous helpings and reasonably priced. We also had a scone which was huge! We didn't have to wait long for our food to come out after we ordered and I was very impressed that the food and plates were steaming hot (sadly not always the case when we eat out). We also enjoyed a look round the farm shop and will return.

3  Thank EmmaDundee
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Just been in for a bowl of soup (Scotch Broth) and their sandwich of the day (toasted sourdough BLT). Both good and I would say value for money. The broth was on the cusp of needing more seasoning (and I don't ever usually add salt to my food in a cafe/restaurant) but was a gorgeous mix of the lamb, chunks of veg and barley - really good. Probably a bit too much bread on the side of the soup was actually too sweet. I make bread and know that this is probably a result of too much sugar/sugar substitute (usually added to get a good crust) but it was a sweet as a scone (nice texture though). The BLT was divine, good bacon and a nice side salad.

Husband had a caramel shortbread which was good but probably a bit too heavy on the shortbread (but that's probably more a personal like/dislike) so ignore that comment!

Great place. Nice service. Would definitely recommend.

2  Thank kennymum68
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This farm shop has an excellent butchery department with correctly hung meat - difficult to find nowadays. I always buy meat here now and have never been disappointed Cheeses and shop in general has an interesting variety of produce though wish they would sell bags of potatoes.
Lunches are very good with soups and tarts etc all home made. However the coffee is very poor - not correctly made, resulting in a large cup of watery barely tasting coffee. Great shame as it is the only thing I could fault. Staff very polite and willing to help carry messages if necessary to car.

2  Thank brodgarDundee
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is a popular venue at any time of the day so be prepared to queue for a table but it's usually worth the wait. Coffee and tea are good but beware the Coke - is from a plastic bottle! Those of us who appreciate the demon cola know that if it's not served at 2-3 degrees and from glass or, second best, from aluminium, then it's disgusting. So, warm coke from plastic bottles aside what are the positives about Balgove Larder? Firstly, the atmosphere is relaxed and pleasing. The cakes are generally tasty and moist and the scones are substantial and light. There was one occasion when the scones were dry and tasteless but from ten other visits over the course of last year we weren't disappointed. However, we really don't like the toilet seats in the lady's washrooms: I don't understand why the toilet seat is a bench. Yes, the bench is a beautiful piece of wood but not a good experience.
Service has always been friendly and welcoming.
We've never had a meal at Balgove but the food looks nicely presented and the prices on the menu are better than other comparable farm coffee shops.

2  Thank TripMember102016