“Nothing special”
Review of Arran House

Arran House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Andrews
Arran House
Ranked #71 of 73 St. Andrews B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We had a hard time finding accommodation in St Andrews. Spent the whole day on the phone ringing places. So many were full (& it was a Mon night). They are clearly used to golfers who are prepared to pay a bit. We found a room at Arran House. The host asked for 85 pounds & put us in a room through the staff area out the back which was clearly a store-room or something earlier. It was like being in a cupboard, very claustrophobic atlhough the bathroom was large. Definitely NOT worth the 85 quid she was charging for it. We asked if she had another room. She hesitated & 1st said no, then said ok & we had a room upstairs which was much nicer (#7). Had a lovely little window looking out over the historic rooftops. Bathroom was a squeeze but manageable for 1 night. But they only provided 1 towel. Bed was comfy. Had a nice little table with chairs to have a cup of tea. TV small but not a problem for us. Wireless only worked in the dining room downstairs. Breakfast ok but didn't get a lot as in some places in Scotland & England. Although everything was clean, we felt it was quite expensive for what you get, particularly if we had stayed in that first room downstairs. If it were cheaper, yes, might stay here again but not for the price we ended up paying. There are plenty of other better places in St Andrews but you just need to book a little ahead.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room & check before you settle for it.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Good location in the center of St Andrews, close to the golf course restaurants and bars plays to go with the boys on a golf trip not much more

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Spent a night here and really appreciated the location and even managed to park car on the street outside at no cost which was a bonus.Very friendly staff and good sized room.Quiet even being on a street.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GEORGE P
Reviewed May 30, 2012

A three star B&B awarded by the Scottish tourism board, convienently located in the city centre. It is walking distant to the restaurants, shops & cathedral.

We stayed on night in a double room with attached bathroom. The room had a double bed (firm) with two bedside tables, two cane chairs & a small round table, tv & wardrobe, dressing table. Bathroom was small but adequate. Ironing board & iron were also provided in the cupboard.

The options for breakfast are continental or cooked breakfast.

Overall, a clean & centrally located B&B.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I was attracted by the price of the Arran House and by its central location (although nowhere in St Andrew's is far from anywhere else). I was arriving late in the evening and was promised an entrance code by email before I arrived. It never came but there was a mobile number on the door and an invitation (by name) for me to ring. I did so and a pleasant lady told me the code to the key box. She had to repeat it a couple of times as reception was poor. I don't know if it was her phone or mine.

Arran is a classic British B&B - a converted house, a bit rough round the edges but usually that's ok. Arran is just a shade too rough. The bed was comfortable and the shared bathroom easily accessible. There were tea and coffee facilities but the kettle had not been used or cleaned for quite a while. I'm not a stickler for cleanliness but a good once-over with a duster would really have helped the window sills (I must be getting old, in my younger days I wouldn't have noticed a thing like that!)

Breakfast was fine - decent porridge and a grill that was very hot but only barely on the right side of greasy. The lady serving breakfast was surly and it took quite a few of my best winning smiles and compliments to get a smile in return but, she did her job efficiently.

Would I stay here again? I would look for somewhere else at the same price and, If I couldn't find anywhere, I'd certainly stay here rather than pay an extra £20.

Room Tip: All seem much the same
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Great B&B right smack in the middle of town and minutes walk from shops, golf and the beach. Reasonable rates with a full and hearty breakfast cooked to order. The lady that greeted us was very helpful and friendly giving us keys to the room and front door so we could come and go as we please. Definitely a change from hotel life especially when you only want to sleep in the room.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I live in St Andrews, & my Mum, who can't manage stairs, stayed here for a few nights in December as they have ground floor bedrooms with a walk in shower. I chose the twin room, in case she got confused, she did, so I ended up staying too.
We were treated with total understanding, and all in all were delighted with our stay.
The room was very warm & comfortable, there was a comfy sofa to sink into, everything was as it should be.
Many thanks to Anne & her family, & Carol.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet, ground floor bedrooms great for the less able.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family