So. It's a dorm. The rooms are plain and a bit small. But, it's very clean, the beds are very comfy, the breakfasts are completely awesome. You can easily park the car in the car park (in St Andrews this is a luxury in itself.) It's good value for money and the staff are generally nice and helpful. OR you can pay an absolute fortune and stay in a soulless posh hotel and spend big chunks of your holiday looking for somewhere to park the car.
Been coming here for years now. St Andrews in the '60's and '70's was awash with good wee hotels doing Full Board or DB&B. These gradually all vanished and those that remained did (and still do) just B&B. And car parking wasn't an issue. That was then, this is now.
So now your options are dig out one of the remaining B&B gems in town and don't come in the car, come in the car take out a second mortgage and go to one of the big posh hotels (assuming they have a car park), or try here instead (in the summer when the students are not here.)
They used to do DB&B but they sadly went the way of the rest last year and ditched the D. However, that proved not to be too tragic (but hopefully they might bring the D back... hint...)
The third or fourth floors facing out to the front are the best rooms in my opinion (sunsets and sunrises with a - slight - view of the town and the sea.)
It's a 10 minute walk into town but St Andrews is a very walkable place in general so that's not a problem.
Factor in the cost and all in all it's very good value so I don't get what some folk in some reviews are moaning about - perhaps they need a shot in one of the bigger hotels to compare and contrast.
Been here about 10 times now all in and been holidaying in St Andrews for almost 50 years so we do kind of know the territory. Recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open June-August only. Agnes Blackadder Hall is the University of St Andrews' premier residence. We offer the perfect base for those wanting to explore St Andrews, play on the world famous links courses and discover all that the Kingdom of Fife has to offer during the summer months. Our double rooms all feature an en-suite shower room, television, telephone and tea and coffee making facilities. Family rooms are also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Agnes Blackadder Hall - University of St Andrews reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Hall - University Of St Andrews Hotel St. Andrews
- Agnes Blackadder Hall - University Of St Andrews St. Andrews, Scotland