“Honestly.....”

Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in St. Andrews
London, United Kingdom
“Honestly.....”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Looking at the other reviews of this hotel I feel slightly mean in not giving it a good rating as it clearly appeals to most of its guests. I wasn't there for golf so I wasn't distracted though so I feel my review is unbiased.

This is a very old fashioned hotel though not in a good way. It has a mustiness and that even extends to refurbished areas which are done in the a clumsy and unstylish fashion. The staff are largely speaking a friendly bunch but the guy in charge of reception was helpful in a plainly sarcastic and patronising fashion that maybe appeals to the eager golfing crowd but otherwise is insulting.

We stayed in one of their new 'suites' which they conveniently neglected to tell us was in the basement. It was large and that was the end of the good points. The lighting is truly horrendous and the decor faux scottish - tartan and dark modern wood. The bathroom lacking a bath with a noisy fan with a twenty minute cycle and a shower that is either raging hot or ice cold with a possibility to find a comfortable temperature if you have the skill of a safebreaker. A warning sign for the over hot towel radiator which you can't help burning yourself on when you reach for the loo paper and a freezing stone floor. Yes - somebody has really thought this one through!

We made a cup of tea from the small kitchen which would be useful for those wanting to stay for more than a few days but that threw up the fact that nobody comes into check the room at any point so we returned to a cold room with all the curtains open and dirty crockery. I went to reception to ask for a couple of tea bags to replenish those we used and was told that there was no such service in this hotel. OK - that was a first in any hotel in any country in the world for me and at a discounted £185 per night I'd have expected better.

Sleep quality was OK but we were below the restaurant and could hear people moving about. Lights shone in through the curtain all night from the street lighting and more brightly until about midnight from the hotel floodlighting.

Breakfast was a very mediocre full English self service with a nice view but food not even close ton the quality of the Russocks where we had stayed before. We were grateful of the free car parking at the back of the hotel.

In summary, with this location this should be a fantastic hotel but it seriously is not and I would not choose to stay again. Its a wasted opportunity trading on the beauty of the town and the fact that it is right on the Old Course. What a shame.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManager_12_12, General Manager at Best Western Scores Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
General Manager Eric Brown responding for Philip who has done previous responses but not recently!

First and foremost thanks for the feedback. While I was disappointed to read your review, we always try to use a negative response to improve our operation. We have still much to do to improve our some of our public areas but our owners have invested significant amounts in the last 3 years. We added 6 new Junior Suites ( one of which you occupied ) last year and 3 of these are in the lower ground floor of the 1864 town house part of the hotel. New beds in all other areas and new bedding including a touch of tartan ( throws and 4 cushions from Strathmore Tartans in Angus in each room ), flat screen TV's ( 42" in Junior Suites ), new doubled glazed windows in all but 4 rooms ( and these are planned for 2014), landscaped grounds, new Victorian style railings and free upgraded WIFI in all areas, are some of the improvements
You noted the team were largely friendly but Philip, the Food & Beverage Manager you met in Reception ( who is a former GM from Hilton, as I am too ) was not as you would have liked. He is a genuine and caring person who will be most concerned to read your assessment of him
We offered you Twin room when you first enquired but you wanted a double and we allocated the Junior suite with a King size bed. Decor and style are very much individual taste and we respect peoples views of such matters. We have new Grohe shower valves in all rooms and these were reviewed by the manufacturers recently to check they were operating to standard, so we need to look again at yours in 224...sorry, it was not consistent re temperature. Re the fan operation, we will look at that too as is is a new type with a sensor and it may need a "hood" to avoid excessive operation. The hot towel rail is electric and can be switched off if desired but with Scottish summers some people find it helps the comfort of the bathroom and obviously heats the towels. Unlimited amounts of tea and coffee are available as a standard and sorry if this did not seem to be the case. Your room was indeed below Alexanders Reataurant which operates till about 10pm occasionally later and I am sorry if you were disturbed. The new curtains provide a complete blackout if fully closed and the voiles should provide further privacy. There are floodlights to the front but the curtains should do their job re light from the front. I will get maintenance to check the hours of operation to have them off earlier. You were disappointed with breakfast and we regularly review feedback to try to improve. I will review this with my Chef and team again. Regarding a possible future stay, I would like to think that we could offer you another opportunity of staying in a front facing Junior Suite with great views of the West Sands and St Andrews Bay ( not one of the Seaton House ones with a kitchen ) and show you that we could do better at breakfast and improve your opinion. If you wish to contact me personally, I would make arrangements but I appreciate that our style of operation might not be for you. By co-incidence, I was Managing Director at Rusacks Hotel over 30 years ago. Lovely place. Eric Brown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Warwickshire
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Our stay was a one night stopover that we wish had been longer. First impressions were excellent with very helpful and friendly check-in and then to a well decorated and equipped room with a great view over the bay. Although not golfers, the historic pictures in the grill room were well worth a look. The only downside we found was that on the day we were there, the hot items on the breakfast buffet tasted as if they had been standing for a long time, and we were nowhere near the end of service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank abcoldgit
GeneralManager_12_12, General Manager at Best Western Scores Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Many thanks for your positive feedback on your recent stay.. However, I was disappointed to read your comment about the hot items on the Buffet and I am personally reviewing this with my Chef and the Service team. You may not have been aware that apart from the 12 hot items in the chafing dishes on the Buffet, we can do all types of egg to order, omelettes, Eggs Benedict, Blueberry pancakes and Smoked Haddock. However, we have had 2 or 3 negative comments about our hot food and this merits immediate attention from me and my team. Thanks for taking the time ot write Eric Brown
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

I spent two nights in this hotel having taken a 90 minute drive from Edinburgh Airport
Situated right next to the Royal and Ancient Club and the Old Course with wonderful views across the bay.
The staff are truly friendly and very helpful and can assist with all forms of advise as to the process of getting onto the Old COurse. However a must is the Castle Course which is one of the toughest I have played-especially the undulating greens.
Rooms are very comfortable and functional. I stayed in room 110( sea facing rooms a must) with a good sized bathroom , very comfortable bed and window sitting area to relax or do some work with a view. Typical Scottish old world hospitality mean you are unlikely to leave disappointed. Big bonus is free wifi which is very useful given variable signal strength in parts of the area. Stay St Andrews stay Best Western

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed at the Scores Hotel for 4 nights in late April and had an outstanding experience. The service was first class all the way around - including the ladies at the reception desk, the waiters in the dining room, the bartender in the pub, and the person making up our room. All were very friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome, special, and appreciated. The rooms were very large and the beds were comfortable. The hotel is conveniently located, especially if you're a golfer like us. We could see the Bay and the Royal and Ancient from our room. The Old Course was literally a 1 minute walk. The Dunvegan is a nine iron away and we enjoyed some of the local beers there. It doesn't get any better than this! Kudo's to the management team - your employees have been trained to be first rate - outstanding job everyone! We'll definately stay here again. Dave W and family

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Scores Hotel, originally Victorian House, is ideally located on the beach front close to the Old Course, Golf Museum, Aquarium and all the major attractions such as the Cathedral, churches and city center. Scores Hotel has got 30 comfortable rooms and is part of Best Western chain hotels. Hotel is not only targeting the golf clients but also leisure travelers who come to St. Andrews for the weekend to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of this charming town. Many guest rooms have breathtaking panoramic view of the St. Andrews Bay. They are decorated in modern wooden style with small details drawing attention to the Scotland. Large TV screen and complimentary toiletries can be found in each room. Free wireless internet and breakfast is part of the room package.

The guest rooms come in two categories; standard rooms and suites. I’ve stayed in the double room with an amazing view of the golf course and the seaside. The hotel also offers conference facilities to host club meetings, weddings or graduation dinners for the St. Andrews students. Garden in the back yard surrounds the atmosphere of the specific event. Close proximity to the golf course plays major role in choosing to stay at Scores Hotel, golf fans will especially appreciate the great service with attention to the details.

Breakfast buffet is served every day in the restaurant on the first floor and offers variety dishes to choose from. Traditional English breakfast is being served as well as the selection of hot and cold dishes, fresh fruit, pastries and coffee. Guests can also enjoy the afternoon coffer or head for the dinner to the restaurant which offers wide selection of local and international meals. Hotel staff is ready to meet your request and arrange golf session on the Old Course or nearby courses. Weddings can be also organized in here following the reception held in the hotel’s garden. Many St. Andrews’ students choose the option to throw their graduation dinner at Scores Hotel which becomes the perfect choice due to its location to the sea and pulsing atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hcslovanka1818
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed recently at the BEST WESTERN Scores Hotel in historic and enchanting St.Andrews. The hotel has the most fantastic and elegant location, a very short pitch and putt from the 18th green of the Old Course at St.Andrews, the most famous golf course in the world.

The hotel is full of golf memorabilia, and although I am not a golfer, it is very interesting to look at the many framed scorecards and photographs of some of the most famous sportsmen who have taken on and won the biggest prize in world golf. The rooms are very impressive, I had an Executive Room on the 2nd floor and although the building is old, the building interior and exterior has been recently refurbished in a sympathetic and contemporary manner, and the views over the British Golf Museum and the West Beach (Chariots of Fire) are spectacular. The room is spacious, the bathroom modern and flat screen TVs and all modern features abound.

The breakfast offered excellent quality and choice, the staff very friendly and attentive, and eager to please, and the reception staff welcoming and efficient.

I must say a few words about St, Andrews itself... historic, atmospheric, academic, bustling with life with a broad choice of restaurants from student diners to high-class Michelin Star restaurants, and everything else in between. St.Andrews is all about history, romance, (ask Prince William) education, culture and sport... something to engage and delight everyone.

So, how would I score the Scores Hotel ??? .... 10/10

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Just wrapping up a four day side trip to the town, staying at the Scores, as I have a few times since first trip in 1981.

Pleased to report standards are still high and surely this represents the best value in town for a higher end hotel, given great location, service and reasonable pricing.

Front desk staff couldn't have been more helpful as was the assistant manager on duty when I arrived.

Breakfast is included and first class, service same.

Had a room facing the back. Bit cheaper and if you've been before, no big deal. That said, if its your first time in St. Andrews, the sea front rooms are probably a good optional extra as the view is tremendous.

Chariots Bar was quiet as was the main dining room.

If there's a place for improvement, it's there, especially with the so/so menu. No big deal as many good places to eat in town, especially Playfairs and Ogstons.

Always a pleasure to visit St. Andrews and stays at the Scores

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sorry for the delay in writing. The last few months have been hectic and Philip who has previously written responses in Tripadvisor is up to his ears! So, I thought I would write some responses myself Great to know that you find our hotel best value in town for higher end hotels in St Andrews! We have worked very hard on refurbishments in the last 3 years and we now have 6 new Junior Suites completed last June. 3 of them are great family rooms with not only sofa beds and large armchairs ( and lots of space! ) but 2 of them have small kitchens as well! The other 3 have fabulous views of the West Sands. An area for improvement is in our Restaurants and with 60 to 70 other places to eat in St Andrews I encourage my team to focus on fresh seafood and local produce and simply prepared tasy food with "great views" over St andrews Bay. Thanks again for responding and haste ye back! Eric Brown