“Good hotel that could be exceptional ...”

Best Western Scores Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in St. Andrews
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed at the Scores Hotel on a chilly weekend in February. We found the staff to be very welcoming and friendly, if in need of some extra training in some respects ("Would you like some ice in your Peroni, Sir?"). All areas of the hotel, including our bedroom, were clean and tidy. However, its last makeover was clearly many years ago and it is looking rather dated and in need of rejuvenation in some areas. On the other hand, we were delighted with our room (a junior suite to the front of the hotel) which comprised a huge room with exceptionally impressive views across the Eden Estuary, West Sands and the hills in the distance beyond. Initially we were very pleased that the huge windows didn't admit a breath of the freezing polar wind that was howling through St Andrews when we arrived. However, we were less impressed when the central heating was turned off at 9.30pm and the room became uncomfortably chilly over the next hour. It did come on again early the next morning though and quickly heated the room up again. While we would recommend the hotel on the basis of its good service, cleanliness, good quality food (both at dinner and breakfast) and excellent location close to the beach, golf courses and town centre, the situation relating to parking and access left us with some reservations. Even during the quieter month of February, we found parking anywhere near the hotel to be impossible. On enquiring, we discovered that there is a small car park to the rear. However, access from the car park to the hotel was challenging with luggage and baby in pram having to be moved through the hotel's rear garden, through a gate and down a public alleyway to the street and then along to the front entrance of the hotel. A longer route along the road would need to be taken by the disabled due to steps on the alleyway. This was followed by a game of hide and seek to find the lift. It may be that direct access to the rear of the hotel has been affected by construction works which were ongoing. However, there is a pressing need for better information and signage to/from the car park and improved access from the car park to the hotel. That whinge aside, The Scores is an attractive and friendly hotel which could be exceptional with some renovation and a little more attention to detail.

Room Tip: The rooms to the front of the hotel have a fabulous view across the beach and sea, to the hills in t...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
PhilipRolfe, Manager at Best Western Scores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

Dear Methven, Eric Brown General Manager replying for Phil who normally writes. Thanks for taking so much time to write. Great to note the positives of clean tidy room, friendly and welcoming staff with good quality food and a great location
Sorry that the heating was not on 24/7 as it often is in the winter. Unseasonally warm winter weather confuses our timeclocks BUT our Duty Managers should revert to manual 24 hour heating if the temperature drops, as it does! We spent £80k replacing 90 % of the bedroom windows recently so that helps too
Parking is a challenge in St Andrews although we are the only hotel in this block ( 8 other hotels ) with any car park ( 12 to 16 spaces if we valet park ) BUT access is not easy. Better since we landscaped the rear gardens and knocked a wall down to allow access to Gillespie Wynd but still a bit like the "North West Passage!" We have plans to improve signage
Parking is also affected by workers from the major contract next door in Hamilton Hall
Regarding refurbishment, we have replaced all TV's in the last 2 years with Flat screens ( 42" in Junior Suites ), upgraded our free WIFI, replaced most beds and have new tartan throws and matching cushions. We have 8 Junior suites out of 30 rooms and are currently adding 6 NEW ones to make 14 in all. Public areas soon! We also have Planning Permission for 30 more Rooms and Suites which should be built by the next Open in 2015
May we please adopt your headline of " A good hotel that could be Exceptional" Be assured we are working on just that!

There are newer reviews for Best Western Scores Hotel

Reviewed February 17, 2012

Only stayed one night on business and the hotel was having a lot of work done so I was not seeing it at its best. Staff could not have been more helpful or friendly. My room was on the top floor so was had interesting lay out but was spotlessly clean and comfortable. The biggest fault I found was the shower (over bath) which at night struggled to be cool enough to stay under and in the morning certainly woke me up due to it changing temperature and flow as other demands were made on the water supply. This could well have been down to the works being carried out however. The full Scottish breakfast was superb. It is also worth taking the lift if only to hear the accent on the "lift going upwards" announcements:)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
PhilipRolfe, Manager at Best Western Scores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2012

Dear Jamie S,

Thank you very much for your review after your visit to the hotel earlier this month. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, but you are right that the hotel is not looking its best and I apologise for this. The work on our hotel (which is to make six new rooms and suites) will be complete by mid June this year and I believe that the work on Hamilton hall (next door to us) will be complete by the late autumn. We have been having work carried out to the hot water and heating system over the last few weeks to put in new pipes for the refurbished areas, so this may have caused the pressure/ temperature fluctuations, but we will be fully investigating this, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast, it is great in our restaurant in the morning with the superb views! I am reliably informed by a German colleague that the lady that speaks to you in the lift has a strong Austrian accent, it does amuse people certainly!!

I hope to see you back here again soon and we will be sure to investigate the water temperature fluctuations,

With best wishes,

Reviewed February 16, 2012

Friendly, helpful staff, excellent room and breakfast. Excellent sea view from the third floor

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
PhilipRolfe, Manager at Best Western Scores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2012

Dear Mark I,
Thank you very much for posting a review of your stay at this hotel, I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your visit and I hope to welcome you back soon. Thank you for your business, it is much appreciated.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed February 1, 2012

We recently had a very nice visit to St Andrews this visit was enhanced by our stay at Scores Hotel.I have to say that we were impressed by the hotel and staff. Parking was right outside the hotel and reception was quick and efficient. The room was very nice with a great view of
the sweeping St Andrews bay and old course. We found the staff to be very pleasant and keen to assist if required. Breakfast was excellent,one of the best full Scottish i have ever had,and i have had a few in my time. We will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 369Gordon
PhilipRolfe, Manager at Best Western Scores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2012

Thank you very much for your recent review, I have to say that I was pleased to read it and especially so when I heard that you had had such a good experience here. As Food and Beverage manager, I was particularly pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your breakfast!
The views of the bay are particularly nice from this hotel and I think it makes a huge difference to the enjoyment of the customers meals.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon and thans again for your review and kind comments which I have posted on the staff board for all to read.
Best wishes,

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Parking can be a problem in St. Andrews, but we were lucky when we arrived and managed to get almost directly outside the hotel. This is an old, traditional building which felt right for a stay in an historical place like St. Andrews - even in the winter this is an interesting place to visit.

We spent two nights here in a very large, well furnished room - comfy king size bed, sofa, etc.- with amazing views across the bay. Nice bathroom toiletries. The hotel was fairly quiet when we visited. It's well decorated and furnished. Reception staff were welcoming and knowledgeable. Service in the grill restaurant was slower than I would have expected. Menu choices average - not a huge choice for vegetarians. Never mind - St. Andrews has many great restaurants to choose from, as we discovered! Breakfast was good though - who wouldn't enjoy starting the day with a cooked breakfast and a view of the sea?

The thing with the Scores Hotel is I feel it has the potential to be so much better - having good staff makes all the difference. Nevertheless, if in St. Andrews we would stay here again - the location is amazing, and you can walk everywhere. It's a compact little town with a lot of history, good shops and eateries.... and of course, golf!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravellingScot

Dear Travelling Scot,
Thanks very much for your review of your stay here back in November and I was glad to hear that on the whole, you enjoyed your visit. I am sorry that the service in the grill was slower than you expected, to be honest I am not sure why this was so, but we have made improvements in the last couple of months and I feel sure that you will see these when you return in the future. We are also going to make quite a few changes to our grill menu in the spring (both in content and format) so I am sure these changes will improve things here too!
Thank you again for your kind comments generally and rest assured we take on board your constructive comments and we will definately work to improve on them.
Best wishes,
Philip Rolfe

Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed one night at this hotel and would be more than happy to return here. Traditional building full of character, friendly efficient staff, warm and comfortable, clean and great selection for breakfast. Location spot on for tourists, was a lovely treat.

• Stayed: January 2012
PhilipRolfe, Manager at Best Western Scores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Thanks for your review after your recent stay with us, I have passed on your kind comments to the staff. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your visit to this lovely town, it only goes to prove that even in January, there can be reasonable weather in Fife!
Hope to see you again before too long!
Kind regards,
Philip Rolfe

Reviewed January 29, 2012

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at scores. Right from check in the service was excellent stephenie on reception was excellent and helpful thought my staff even arranging for a slight extent ion on check out was no trouble. The room sizes are excellent especially the junior suite which I had was excellent. The room was cleaned to the same high standard every day which in my experience is unusual as normally the quality tends to dip especially on weekends in some hotels.

The next hit for,me was breakfast again always excellent quality and the waitress whos name escapes me (brown hair, mid 30s) gave excellent service remembering my preflerances as the days progressed.

Please pass my thanks on to the staff and I look forward to returning to room 209 in the near future. Top Job!

• Stayed: January 2012
PhilipRolfe, Manager at Best Western Scores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2012

Dear Marto54,

I was really pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay here!
I was, however particularly pleased to hear that Stephanie had been mentioned as providing excellent service and I believe the lady you refer to (without knowing her name) is Karen. I have passed on your kind comments to both of these team members, as well as to housekeeping whom you also praised for high standards of cleanliness, THANK YOU!
We all look forward to welcoming you back to St Andrews before too long,
with best wishes,