“The Scores Hotel, St. Andrews- Outstanding”

Best Western Scores Hotel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in St. Andrews
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I have just returned from Scotland where I had the pleasure of staying at the Scores Hotel. I don't know quite where to begin, so I will just start from the beginning.

First, you could not pick a better location not only for convenience but also for the tremendous views of the Scores Beach. If you are a golfer you will find it literally have a downhill put to the 1st tee of The Old Course and of course the 18th green. I stayed in a wonderful room on the second floor with a panoramic view that includes the beach and the famous R&A clubhouse. If you are not a golfer, the location is also ideally located for an easy walk to all of the fine shops and restaurants in St. Andrews.

The hotel is classic upscale European which has obviously been recently restored and upgraded. Old style wall paneling and moldings have been retained. New carpeting and fresh paint are make everything seem fresh and clean. The en suite bathrooms have been completely upgraded with modern fixtures and wonderful shower / bath combinations.

Meals were always outstanding with a very reasonably priced yet diverse menu. In particular, the complimentary full Scottish breakfast each morning made me jump out of bed!

All of the staff were not only extremely friendly but also eager to help with any question I had during my stay. My comfort seemed to be their primary concern.

Highly recommended!

Scot R.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
PhilipRolfe, Manager at Best Western Scores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

Thank you very much for your brilliant review of our hotel! It is great to hear that you were so happy here and it really cheered everyone up on a dark and damp winters evening! We do have a great location and great views but these are nothing if you do not have the right team members and they were chuffed to hear that you had a good time.
Perhaps we will see you again next year for a few rounds of golf?
Thanks again and best wishes!
Philip Rolfe

Reviewed November 13, 2011

Just back from our annual golfing trip to St. Andrews and again I have been very impressed by the hotel and all of its staff!....not only that, the food was great too!
Rooms were very clean, beds were very comfy and the staff always helpfull and attentive. The view from the bedroom window was second to none, R & A building, old course and the wonderful sandy beaches.
I have been fortunate enough to stay in several of the hotels in St. Andrews and trust me you won't find better!!
Oh.....one slight downside - They have closed the bar downstairs.....it would have been great to come in from the golf course and have a few beers.....I'm sure it will re-open again soon!
See you all next year and keep up the fantasic work!!!

Room Tip: Ask if sea view rooms available...worth the view!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends

It was good to be able to welcome your party back to the hotel and we enjoyed looking after you!
It is really satisfying to be able to welcome back old friends.
I was particularly pleased to hear that you were very happy with the hotel, you are right, the views are truly magnificent and no two days are exactly the same when you are looking out over the West sands and the sea.
Unfortunately, due primarily to a lack of business in the last couple of months, we have had to close "Chariots" bar for a while, but rest assured, it will be reopening as soon as possible most likely in March.
Looking forward to seeing you again in October or November 2012,
Best wishes,
Philip Rolfe

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Just back from a fantastic weekend break with my husband and parents. We had the pleasure of staying in Junior Suites with sea views. We have stayed at Scores many, many times and never can we find fault with this hotel and the friendly staff. Even with renovation work being carried out our stay was still fab!

The breakfast and evening meal was as good as ever. Book a trip! Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Rooms 100 & 104 (Junior Suites) are beautiful rooms
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Susie W
PhilipRolfe, Manager at Best Western Scores Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2011

I was glad to hear that your weekend break was enjoyable, it was great to have you back!
The works to Hamilton hall are progressing well and these should be complete by September next year, but despite the scaffolding etc, it hasn't (thankfully) been too noisy at all! I have passed on your kind comments about breakfast and evening meal to all the staff involved.
We look forward to seeing you here again in 2012, have a good Christmas and thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel, which I booked for a great price at the last minute.

This place has some really old world charm. The rooms have character, no prefab boxes stacked on top of one another as with many hotels these days. I had a junior suite which was pretty big, with a full sofa, bed, TV and most impressively a huge window with spectacular views over the beach and The Scores etc. It was room 4 - ask for it.

The staff were really helpful too. They were most welcoming and took care of me (and from what I saw, all of the other guests) making sure the stay was exceptional.

The breakfast which was included in the rate was really great - a full Scottish, including Haggis! Again, the staff were great and really took time to chat and showed an interest in their guests. Again, some anonymous box hotels could learn a lot from the staff here.

I think this will be my hotel of choice in St Andrews from now on - a great find!

Room Tip: Go for room 4 or one of the other junior suites.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My husband and I were on business in that area for one night and found the Scores hotel by accident really. We were immediately struck by the friendly welcome we received, and given a choice of room- very reasonably priced , good size and comfortable.We opted for a sea view which was excellent -lovely big windows. The Grill bar was adequate for our dinner and the breakfast was excellent, served in very comfortable surroundings looking out onto the sea front. The service we received throughout our stay was excellent. All in all great value for money and we would certainly return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front overlooking the sea are bigger and more spacious.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I've stayed at The Scores the last 5 times I've visited St. Andrews and each time I realize the fantastic value this hotel has to offer; 50 steps from the 18th Green or the 1st Tee of The Old Course, clean functional rooms....not big, but they have everything you need including WiFi.
The breakfast is superb and the staff is as friendly as it gets.
I'm planning on returning many more times for great golf at St. Andrews wonderful golf courses and guess where I'll be staying; at The Scores!!!
Jan-Erik

Room Tip: As a golfer you would want a room with a view of the bay and down towards The Old Course. A bathtub...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Using reviews from Trip Advisor, I selected Scores Hotel, and later reading golf books, found that this is a favorite among golfers and golf writers. It is a great location with a view out over the beach, a park, and it is within steps of the R and A clubhouse and the first tee of the Old Course. The room was comfortable although not large. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the food was quite good. I particularly liked the breakfast-- best haggis I have had in awhile. I like the Chariot Bar as well for a fun pub atmosphere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the front of the hotel with a view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple