“Little gem”

Ranked #5 of 73 St. Andrews B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Little gem”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Fabulous location, great service and possibly the best rooms in the old town.

I have to say that part of me didn't want to write this review as I wanted to keep this place a secret!

Was disappointed at a recent stay elsewhere where they wouldn't serve breakfast 5minutes after the deadline - this place was the total opposite, they didn't take their customers for granted

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just spent two days and two nights at Fairways of St. Andrews. During our U.K. trip we stayed in both hotels and bed and breakfasts. Fairways at St. Andrews was easily our most memorable. An outstanding room, a remarkable location, and hosts that are willing to help out in any way possible: what more can you ask?

Our first floor bedroom was spacious, tastefully decorated, and clean. The location, literally a wedge up the hill from the Old Course's first tee and starter, couldn't be more convenient. I felt like a VIP stepping out the front door and walking down the hill each day. Not a golfer? No worries. The location is also easy walking distance to all the shops, university, museum and other historical attractions. Our hired car sat along the 18th fairway watching the golfers. Never once did we feel the need to use it.

Hosts Hugh and Jane are gracious and personable. Jane prepared a fantastic traditional Scotish breakfast for me, while preparing a lighter meal of yogurt, toast and fruit for my wife. They also assisted me getting onto the Old Course when my time here was extremely limited. In addition Jane pointed my wife, a non-golfer, to fantastic dining and great place to have afternoon tea. When my golf rounds were over, Jane even helped find a shop that could ship my clubs back to the states...and obtained a price quote!

If we are able to make it back to St. Andrews, there is no question we will book at Fairways again.

• Stayed September 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Just spent four nights with Jane and Hugh as hosts - this is a terrific little spot. As someone else pointed out, this is a guest house of three private, clean/fresh, and pleasantly decorated rooms with private baths. It is strategically located right downtown St. Andrews and about 1/2 a block from the Old Course. Jane is a charming hostess with a lot of local knowledge and in the morning she sets out a wonderful breakfast and will make fresh eggs to your liking. This guest house is a GEM - this is not a hotel, so don't expect a lobby, workout facility, or pool. But, their WIFI works and allows you to stay in contact with home and work.

Room Tip: The third floor room has a nice little balcony and views over the roof top of St. Andrews.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend in February 2012.(Option for date not below) My dad also stayed here as we brought him to St. Andrews for golfing as a Christmas present. This is a spotlessly clean, beautiful gem of a guesthouse with absolutely wonderful hosts Jane and Hugh. The owners are very friendly and down to earth and really put an effort into making our stay as enjoyable as possible. They have the personal touch with guests which I think can be hard to find in places nowadays.The location is absolutely perfect-my dad was overjoyed at how close to the old course the place is and the views from the rooms are spectacular. (I am not a golf lover but my dad was like a child he was so excited) I actually couldnt fault my stay here in the slightest.
Breakfast was also wonderful and Hugh and Jane couldnt have been more hospitable. A must stay if youa re heading to St. Andrews.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We booked the Fairways well over a year ago when we decided to get married in St Andrews.

We live in Edinburgh so decided to take a trip around a few of the local guest houses and the Fairways was the ideal location for us - and a gorgeous we guest house as well!

Jane and Hugh are the most hospitable couple - with Jane even offering to help us organize hairdressers etc for the morning of the wedding!

In the end, we decided to book out all three rooms - I would be staying in Three with one of my bridesmaids the night before our nuptials, and my other girls, and their partners, stayed in One and Two. We got ready in Three (the biggest of the rooms) on morning of the wedding, and it was turned around during the day so my new husband and I could return on the wedding night. Once again, Jane couldn't be more happy to help - ensuring that all the rooms were set up for our getting ready requirements, and then turned around to a double room for our return.

It really was a home away from home - we had the most lovely breakfast on all the days (we stayed three nights) - and when we returned after the wedding, there was some midnight snacks laid out for us as well!

Jane and Hugh really did think of everything, and couldn't be more pleased to help us with anything we needed. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending anyone to stay at The Fairways, whatever your reason for visiting St Andrews, but it certainly did help us to celebrate our big day in comfort and style.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are lovely - very nicely put together and spacious. Three is the biggest of the ro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, BC
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Hugh and Jane gave us an experience we will never forget at Fairways of St. Andrews. Our room at the top of the B&B had bright, big windows and a lovely balcony looking over the roofs and beyond to the Old Course. The first and 18th tee box are a one minute walk down the street, giving Fairways one of the best locations in St. Andrews. As for host and hostess, Jane and Hugh, we could not ask for more. Lovely breakfast, excellent conversation and since Hugh is a caddy, lots of inside tips on golf and getting onto the course for a round. You must stay here! Outstanding.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely and have their special qualities. The smallest room faces the back so would be...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Weinsberg, Germany
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Jane & Hugh are absolutely brilliant hosts. From my first contact in November last year they offered their help and immense local knowledge in helping me organize a birthday trip for my father. Hugh even ended up golfing with my parents to make sure they could play on the links while the ladies playing the BO on the Old Course! Nothing was too much trouble, booking tables, taking us to the clubhouse, everything done to make our stay enjoyable. The rooms are absolutely perfect, clean, comfortable, the one on the top floor even coming with binoculars to watch play on the Old Course. Breakfast everythng you could wish for, from home-made breads to fruit and cooked selections. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with them and hope to be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family