“Want to keep it a secret!”

Fairways of St Andrews
Ranked #6 of 73 St. Andrews B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just back from a weekend stay at Fairways- no doubt about it, we will be back! All the other reviews are spot on-gorgeous rooms, fabulous breakfasts and Hugh and Jane are just lovely. Would like to keep it a secret, but that wouldn't be fair! Thanks for everything, the Flynn Family

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just spent the night at this gem of a B&B. We stayed in room 3 which is at the top with a balcony on a freezing cold, snowy day. The room was toasty and warm as was the welcome we received from Hugh and Jane. Great location in town, restaurants, bars and shops close by and just off the Scores. Thank you and we look forward to coming back again soon.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife and I make regular visits to St. Andrews for the day (we're from Glasgow) but have only stayed overnight on a few occasions. I've never felt compelled to write a review on any hotel/B&B we've stayed in...until now.

We stayed at Fairways for one night in September after an impromptu decision to get away for the weekend. As I said, being regular visitors to St. Andrews, we have a good knowledge of the area and its attractions so the location of Fairways was the initial reason for booking, It's less than 200 yards from the 18th green of the Old Course. Having stayed overnight however, we now have numerous reasons to stay again at the Fairways - the beautiful room (very clean, well equipped, great view), the personal touches (fresh baking on arrival: chocolate brownies & scones), the BEST cooked breakfast I've ever had (my palate is hard to please!) and, perhaps most importantly, the hosts Hugh and Jayne: You couldn't hope to meet a nicer couple. They're very friendly, welcoming and attentive, thank you both!

We will stay again at Fairways...provided we can get booked because, going by these reviews, they're going to be very busy. This isn't just the best B&B in St. Andrews, it's the best B&B full stop.

Paul & Katie

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PmChis
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I travel around the country on business quite a lot. This is about my 7th visit to St Andrews. The B&Bs I have stayed in have always been excellent and competively priced. But Fairways has been probably the best I have stayed in to date. The location is excellent (especially if you want to play on the Old Course).

The room was a good size. It was beautifully decorated. It felt very homely, which can be the disadvantage of many chain hotels in more bland colours. The Wifi in the B&B was reliable and seemed pretty fast unlike most hotel wifi's. I think the only slightly dissapointing thing about the room was the lack of a view. But none of the B&Bs I have stayed at in St Andrews before have really had a fabulous view. You probably have to pay the hotel premium prices for this.

The owner Jane made me feel very welcome. I arrived late on the first night, she had thoughtfully left some scones out for me, as all the shops would be shut and incase I had not had a chance to eat anything whilst flying up to St Andrews.

Breakfast was excellent, some nice fresh fruit and homemade soda bread. The first day I had a fried breakfast but each day this can be a bit heavy. I asked if she could make an omlette on the second day. It was a really good omlette. For the last night she even offered to leave a bowl of soup for me as she was making a large pot. It was really nice, especially after a long day of work.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank QSAJ
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is the sort of place that I could maybe hesitate to say how wonderful it is in case it gets so booked up that we couldn't stay here easily again!! And we would absolutely stay here again..... The owners Hugh and Jane were extremely friendly and we felt very well looked after. They had thought of everything, even scones on arrival and not just a hair drier but straighteners also and some toiletries. The decor is comfy and contemporary and we had a lovely room on the top floor with a balcony and views of the old course - huge bed!
Breakfast was delicious and home cooked with variety of lovely cake and quiche and even haggis. We were off to a wedding and the breakfast keep us going well, yum! Hugh was kind enough to give us a lift to the venue as it was raining, thank you v much! And thanks for a great stay too. We'll be back!
While in St Andrews do go to the Aquarium to watch the Meerkats(!?!?) eat at Mitchell's and walk the Old Course (on a Sunday)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cat2803
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I were visiting St Andrews to attend the Dunhill Link's Championship and this wonderful B&B was the perfect base for the week.

The guesthouse is located about 150 yards from the 18th green of the Old Course and we could see the home of golf's fairways from our balcony. The room was spacious and beautifully decorated in a contemporary, yet comfortable, style. The facilities were spot on and there were several little touches that were greatly appreciated - make up wipes in the bathroom, etc.

A tasty breakfast was prepared by Jane and Hugh, the guesthouse owners, each morning at a time arranged the evening before.

Our time in St Andrews was made all the more enjoyable by Jane and Hugh who were so friendly and helpful. They really have made this B&B special and i will be recommending it to all of my friends - fantastic people and a superb place!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SFoz F
Reviewed October 16, 2012

There is nothing bad, poor or even mediocre to say about this wonderful little B&B, the location is wonderful, the rooms clean, spacious, very thoughtfully equipped and comfortable and the owners Hugh and Jane welcoming, friendly, charming, helpful, and just the loveliest people. My Partner and I were in St.Andrews for a wedding and Jane and Hugh could not have been more flexible with breakfast times, lent us an I-pad charger and even drove us to the wedding venue, truly they could not have done more.
This was a wonderful place to stay I cannot recommend it enough. We stayed in the top floor room which was slovenly and clean, bright airy and even had a small balcony. Everything had been thought of, all the things you expect, hair dryer, alarm clock, dressing gowns, tea and coffee and then a whole load of things you don't, hair straighteners, iron and ironing board, fresh home made scones, q-tips and even make up remover wipes! We were so comfortable, and made so welcome, Jane and Hugh thank you so much for all your kindness and hospitality. Rosie and Catherine

Room Tip: Top floor room with balcony is fabulous