“Perfect”

Ranked #7 of 72 St. Andrews B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is the sort of place that I could maybe hesitate to say how wonderful it is in case it gets so booked up that we couldn't stay here easily again!! And we would absolutely stay here again..... The owners Hugh and Jane were extremely friendly and we felt very well looked after. They had thought of everything, even scones on arrival and not just a hair drier but straighteners also and some toiletries. The decor is comfy and contemporary and we had a lovely room on the top floor with a balcony and views of the old course - huge bed!
Breakfast was delicious and home cooked with variety of lovely cake and quiche and even haggis. We were off to a wedding and the breakfast keep us going well, yum! Hugh was kind enough to give us a lift to the venue as it was raining, thank you v much! And thanks for a great stay too. We'll be back!
While in St Andrews do go to the Aquarium to watch the Meerkats(!?!?) eat at Mitchell's and walk the Old Course (on a Sunday)

1 Thank Cat2803

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
London, UK
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I were visiting St Andrews to attend the Dunhill Link's Championship and this wonderful B&B was the perfect base for the week.

The guesthouse is located about 150 yards from the 18th green of the Old Course and we could see the home of golf's fairways from our balcony. The room was spacious and beautifully decorated in a contemporary, yet comfortable, style. The facilities were spot on and there were several little touches that were greatly appreciated - make up wipes in the bathroom, etc.

A tasty breakfast was prepared by Jane and Hugh, the guesthouse owners, each morning at a time arranged the evening before.

Our time in St Andrews was made all the more enjoyable by Jane and Hugh who were so friendly and helpful. They really have made this B&B special and i will be recommending it to all of my friends - fantastic people and a superb place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SFoz F
London
Reviewed October 16, 2012

There is nothing bad, poor or even mediocre to say about this wonderful little B&B, the location is wonderful, the rooms clean, spacious, very thoughtfully equipped and comfortable and the owners Hugh and Jane welcoming, friendly, charming, helpful, and just the loveliest people. My Partner and I were in St.Andrews for a wedding and Jane and Hugh could not have been more flexible with breakfast times, lent us an I-pad charger and even drove us to the wedding venue, truly they could not have done more.
This was a wonderful place to stay I cannot recommend it enough. We stayed in the top floor room which was slovenly and clean, bright airy and even had a small balcony. Everything had been thought of, all the things you expect, hair dryer, alarm clock, dressing gowns, tea and coffee and then a whole load of things you don't, hair straighteners, iron and ironing board, fresh home made scones, q-tips and even make up remover wipes! We were so comfortable, and made so welcome, Jane and Hugh thank you so much for all your kindness and hospitality. Rosie and Catherine

Room Tip: Top floor room with balcony is fabulous
1 Thank Rosie L
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We just returned from a wonderful 4-night trip to St. Andrews, made more enjoyable by Jane and Hugh, owners of Fairways. This 3-room bed and breakfast is ideally located: steps from the Old Course starter house, a 2-minute walk to the beach, 5-minute walk to shops and restaurants, and a 10-minute walk to the castle and cathedral ruins. The rooms are clean, modern and well-appointed.

Jane cooks breakfast in the morning: eggs, ham, bacon, and haggis (you should try it at least once!), plus fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals and homemade breads. Hugh even ran my husband out an egg sandwich while he waited to sign up with the starter in the early morning.

They are great about making recommendations for dinner and golf, even calling around to arrange tee times. Hugh is an avid golfer and knows the ins-and-outs of getting to play where you'd like. Tip: while all golfers want to play the Old Course, don't miss the spectacular scenery and play at Kingsbarns, just 15 minutes from St. Andrews.

While there are several upscale hotels and inns in St. Andrews, you won't find more personalized attention for the money. Wonderful stay.

Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed three nights at this wonderful B&B on a golf vacation. 4 guys from Alabama shared two rooms. The rooms were nice, the location is outstanding, and Hugh and Jane, the owners were wonderful. Very helpful with advice on restaurants, etc. The breakfast was always magnificient and the only problem was dreadful weather!

Room Tip: The room at the top is especially nice!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We were in St. Andrews from the U.S. to help our son get moved into his flat as a second year student at the University. We had such a busy time, but our time at this lovely guesthouse was terrific. Jane and Hugh were delightful hosts, prepared filling, delicious breakfasts and really went above and beyond to make our stay there and visit in Scotland go as smoothly as possibile. When they saw that our arrival flight was going to be a little late, they even emailed us to see if they could perform an errand that was first on our list, before the firm closed for the weekend and Jane purchase some thread for me, as I mentioned that I needed some for a sweater. A+ sevice, beautiful guesthouse and charming hosts made for a memorable stay. Thank you Jane and Hugh!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have recently spent a week in this wonderful guesthouse in St Andrews which was runned by wonderful people known as Hugh and Jane Caron. As I stepped out of my taxi and the door answered by the lovely Jane, I was made welcome in an absolute heartbeat but when I stepped inside the guesthouse it all changed however as I instantly felt completely at home as it was a gem to stay in and my room however on floor 3 it was the icing on the cake, I REALLY felt at home at this stage, clean effective and a severely high standard maintained it was paradise in other words home from home.

The breakfasts however were the most delicious I've eaten, cooked again to a severely high standard by the wonderful Jane, she and her wonderful husband Hugh were a joy to talk to whilst I ate in the mornings during my stay there after a well deserved paddle at the nearby Westsands (Chariots of Fire) beach upon rising out of my lovely comfy bed. The bacon, eggs and sausages I consumed were of local produce and were lovely and tasty and the feeling of Scotland was in these meat products. I finished up with Croissants afterward and regrettably put on a few pounds which now I am paying the price for now in the real world with the answer lying at the local gym.

The atmosphere surrounding Fairways was of a lively but pleasant one with a stunning golf course about a stonesthrow from Fairways, a beach about a 5 minute walk and for those with a hankering for the beer a lively but busy pub just across the road from Fairways along with an array of golf shops, the town centre, the castle/cathedral, uni and harbour/Eastsands beach not exactly a million miles away from the wonderful Fairways runned by wonderful people.

If you want my advice, stay here and you WILL NOT be disappointed, you will be looked after and treated well. My sincere thanks once again to Jane and Hugh for putting up with me for the week and I hope that I shall once again darken the door of Fairways again in the future but also hoping for a longer stay than the previous one. Top marks guys, keep up the good work :o)

Room Tip: Stay here and you WILL NOT be disappointed, you will be looked after and treated well, you will feel...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo