“No reason to stay anywhere else”

Fairways of St Andrews
Ranked #5 of 72 St. Andrews B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“No reason to stay anywhere else”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We just returned from a wonderful 4-night trip to St. Andrews, made more enjoyable by Jane and Hugh, owners of Fairways. This 3-room bed and breakfast is ideally located: steps from the Old Course starter house, a 2-minute walk to the beach, 5-minute walk to shops and restaurants, and a 10-minute walk to the castle and cathedral ruins. The rooms are clean, modern and well-appointed.

Jane cooks breakfast in the morning: eggs, ham, bacon, and haggis (you should try it at least once!), plus fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals and homemade breads. Hugh even ran my husband out an egg sandwich while he waited to sign up with the starter in the early morning.

They are great about making recommendations for dinner and golf, even calling around to arrange tee times. Hugh is an avid golfer and knows the ins-and-outs of getting to play where you'd like. Tip: while all golfers want to play the Old Course, don't miss the spectacular scenery and play at Kingsbarns, just 15 minutes from St. Andrews.

While there are several upscale hotels and inns in St. Andrews, you won't find more personalized attention for the money. Wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed three nights at this wonderful B&B on a golf vacation. 4 guys from Alabama shared two rooms. The rooms were nice, the location is outstanding, and Hugh and Jane, the owners were wonderful. Very helpful with advice on restaurants, etc. The breakfast was always magnificient and the only problem was dreadful weather!

Room Tip: The room at the top is especially nice!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We were in St. Andrews from the U.S. to help our son get moved into his flat as a second year student at the University. We had such a busy time, but our time at this lovely guesthouse was terrific. Jane and Hugh were delightful hosts, prepared filling, delicious breakfasts and really went above and beyond to make our stay there and visit in Scotland go as smoothly as possibile. When they saw that our arrival flight was going to be a little late, they even emailed us to see if they could perform an errand that was first on our list, before the firm closed for the weekend and Jane purchase some thread for me, as I mentioned that I needed some for a sweater. A+ sevice, beautiful guesthouse and charming hosts made for a memorable stay. Thank you Jane and Hugh!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have recently spent a week in this wonderful guesthouse in St Andrews which was runned by wonderful people known as Hugh and Jane Caron. As I stepped out of my taxi and the door answered by the lovely Jane, I was made welcome in an absolute heartbeat but when I stepped inside the guesthouse it all changed however as I instantly felt completely at home as it was a gem to stay in and my room however on floor 3 it was the icing on the cake, I REALLY felt at home at this stage, clean effective and a severely high standard maintained it was paradise in other words home from home.

The breakfasts however were the most delicious I've eaten, cooked again to a severely high standard by the wonderful Jane, she and her wonderful husband Hugh were a joy to talk to whilst I ate in the mornings during my stay there after a well deserved paddle at the nearby Westsands (Chariots of Fire) beach upon rising out of my lovely comfy bed. The bacon, eggs and sausages I consumed were of local produce and were lovely and tasty and the feeling of Scotland was in these meat products. I finished up with Croissants afterward and regrettably put on a few pounds which now I am paying the price for now in the real world with the answer lying at the local gym.

The atmosphere surrounding Fairways was of a lively but pleasant one with a stunning golf course about a stonesthrow from Fairways, a beach about a 5 minute walk and for those with a hankering for the beer a lively but busy pub just across the road from Fairways along with an array of golf shops, the town centre, the castle/cathedral, uni and harbour/Eastsands beach not exactly a million miles away from the wonderful Fairways runned by wonderful people.

If you want my advice, stay here and you WILL NOT be disappointed, you will be looked after and treated well. My sincere thanks once again to Jane and Hugh for putting up with me for the week and I hope that I shall once again darken the door of Fairways again in the future but also hoping for a longer stay than the previous one. Top marks guys, keep up the good work :o)

Room Tip: Stay here and you WILL NOT be disappointed, you will be looked after and treated well, you will feel...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Macon, GA
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Fairways in July, 2012 while visiting our daughter at the University of St. Andrews. We had a wonderful stay! The room and bathroom were beautifully decorated, the bed was comfortable, and the view was beautiful. The location was perfect for golfers or for those visiting the university. The town is adorable with many cute shops and excellent restaurants.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Glenmoore, Pa.
Reviewed September 8, 2012

You can't get any closer to the 18th green of The Old Course or the starter's shed for that matter. Walk out the door, turn left and you are no more than a good lob wedge from the home of golf. Across the street, the length of a good putt, are two staples to St. Andrews golf night life: Pubs!!!

Throw in the fact that Hugh and Jane are wonderful hosts and it made for the experience of a lifetime. More about them later.

We are not usually the type to overstate, but our experience at Fairways of St. Andrews made the final few days of our honeymoon the talking point of the trip.

We stayed in the big room on the third floor and the accommodations were excellent. The room was spacious and well appointed. You don't hear this often, but the bathroom floor was really cool. It was like a cork tile, unlike anything we had ever seen. Walk out the back deck and you can see the historical links on the horizon. Quite a view our first morning there.

Hugh knew everything to do and when to do it, when asked, of course. Not pushy, but a pleasure to talk to and a great help giving us a lift to the Castle Course. Jane was a wonderful cook, also full of local knowledge and a joy to speak with over breakfast. And the fresh soda bread was, well ... worth mentioning here and telling friends about. She baked it all herself bright and early.

Aside from the incredible experience of playing The Old Course and Castle Course, we were challenged by our hosts to play the nine-hole Balgove executive layout. Some fun trash talk between the two couples and the game was on! We laughed and had a wonderful final afternoon with Hugh and Jane. Who won? You will have to ask them!!

Thanks for the memories. We recommend it!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KimandJim
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed here over the new year and couldn't have been happier. The rooms are very comfortable and plush, more like being in a boutique hotel. Excellent hosts who gave us some great recommandations of places to eat. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple