All reviewstop floorpremier roomgolf courselittle toucheswalk into townb and broom was spaciousgolf tripfeel very welcomesandrabalconyowenandrewsstgolfersaccommodationcourses
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have recently spent a week in this wonderful guesthouse in St Andrews which was runned by wonderful people known as Hugh and Jane Caron. As I stepped out of my taxi and the door answered by the lovely Jane, I was made welcome in an absolute heartbeat but when I stepped inside the guesthouse it all changed however as I instantly felt completely at home as it was a gem to stay in and my room however on floor 3 it was the icing on the cake, I REALLY felt at home at this stage, clean effective and a severely high standard maintained it was paradise in other words home from home.

The breakfasts however were the most delicious I've eaten, cooked again to a severely high standard by the wonderful Jane, she and her wonderful husband Hugh were a joy to talk to whilst I ate in the mornings during my stay there after a well deserved paddle at the nearby Westsands (Chariots of Fire) beach upon rising out of my lovely comfy bed. The bacon, eggs and sausages I consumed were of local produce and were lovely and tasty and the feeling of Scotland was in these meat products. I finished up with Croissants afterward and regrettably put on a few pounds which now I am paying the price for now in the real world with the answer lying at the local gym.

The atmosphere surrounding Fairways was of a lively but pleasant one with a stunning golf course about a stonesthrow from Fairways, a beach about a 5 minute walk and for those with a hankering for the beer a lively but busy pub just across the road from Fairways along with an array of golf shops, the town centre, the castle/cathedral, uni and harbour/Eastsands beach not exactly a million miles away from the wonderful Fairways runned by wonderful people.

If you want my advice, stay here and you WILL NOT be disappointed, you will be looked after and treated well. My sincere thanks once again to Jane and Hugh for putting up with me for the week and I hope that I shall once again darken the door of Fairways again in the future but also hoping for a longer stay than the previous one. Top marks guys, keep up the good work :o)

Room Tip: Stay here and you WILL NOT be disappointed, you will be looked after and treated well, you will feel at home and part of the family for the duration of your stay.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Fairways in July, 2012 while visiting our daughter at the University of St. Andrews. We had a wonderful stay! The room and bathroom were beautifully decorated, the bed was comfortable, and the view was beautiful. The location was perfect for golfers or for those visiting the university. The town is adorable with many cute shops and excellent restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2012

You can't get any closer to the 18th green of The Old Course or the starter's shed for that matter. Walk out the door, turn left and you are no more than a good lob wedge from the home of golf. Across the street, the length of a good putt, are two staples to St. Andrews golf night life: Pubs!!!

Throw in the fact that Hugh and Jane are wonderful hosts and it made for the experience of a lifetime. More about them later.

We are not usually the type to overstate, but our experience at Fairways of St. Andrews made the final few days of our honeymoon the talking point of the trip.

We stayed in the big room on the third floor and the accommodations were excellent. The room was spacious and well appointed. You don't hear this often, but the bathroom floor was really cool. It was like a cork tile, unlike anything we had ever seen. Walk out the back deck and you can see the historical links on the horizon. Quite a view our first morning there.

Hugh knew everything to do and when to do it, when asked, of course. Not pushy, but a pleasure to talk to and a great help giving us a lift to the Castle Course. Jane was a wonderful cook, also full of local knowledge and a joy to speak with over breakfast. And the fresh soda bread was, well ... worth mentioning here and telling friends about. She baked it all herself bright and early.

Aside from the incredible experience of playing The Old Course and Castle Course, we were challenged by our hosts to play the nine-hole Balgove executive layout. Some fun trash talk between the two couples and the game was on! We laughed and had a wonderful final afternoon with Hugh and Jane. Who won? You will have to ask them!!

Thanks for the memories. We recommend it!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KimandJim
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed here over the new year and couldn't have been happier. The rooms are very comfortable and plush, more like being in a boutique hotel. Excellent hosts who gave us some great recommandations of places to eat. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Hugh and Jane were so great! Their place is beautiful and well cared for. From the moment we arrived we felt like family. They went out of their way making us comfortable and giving advice to getting on the old course. Hugh even took a sandwich down to my husband who was waiting in line at the starters box early in the morning. They took great care of us. Breakfast was delicious every morning, and a special treat in the room each afternoon. The rooms were super clean very comfortable. I don't think I can stay anywhere else now that I have been here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family