The hotel is clean, stylish in a modern country house way and has a lovely relaxed atmosphere. Our room (a suite in the main house, room no.7) was large, well appointed with a separate seating area and with its own tv, fire and fridge.The bathroom was adequate with a shower over the bath and two sinks although it was beginning to look a little dated. The room overlooked the terrace and as it was hot while we were there, conversation and cigar / cigarette smoke wafted up through the open sash windows. Smokers should be allowed to smoke freely in the open air but I mention it as the tables on the terrace are directly below the windows and could cause problem to those who do not like smoking.
Breakfast was lovely, particularly the Finnan haddock with poached egg. The choice for dinner was limited but was fresh, imaginative and nicely served.
We found the staff to be friendly and efficient but did witness a lack of tolerance at breakfast towards foreign guests who did not fully understand the menu options available. There was rolling of eyes and sharp tones directed at guests which was out of character with the establishment.
The decor is very tasteful and high quality.
The location is a few miles out of St.Andrews with the hotel set in nicely kept grounds with ample car parking and storage for golf clubs, golf being the main attraction of the town.
If you are planning to play the Old Course and have not booked a round at the time of arrival, a 5:00am or earlier start is required to queue for the list for the day's spare places (the Starter arrives at 6:00am to prepare the list for the day) The hotel will pack a continental breakfast or you can return from your queuing mission to enjoy breakfast in the dining room once your name is on the list.
I would recommend the hotel. It is not cheap at over £300 a night (for a suite, which was a bedroom, bathroom and small sitting room) but is a very comfortable place to stay to enjoy the history and town of St.Andrews.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxury family hotel, situated in 10 acres of secluded gardens, has been under the same family ownership for over 60 years. Located a few minutes' drive from the centre of town, golf courses and beaches, the hotel is popular with couples and families. Rufflets is surrounded by mature gardens which supply the fine dining restaurant. Free parking and WiFi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Rufflets Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rufflets Country House Hotel St. Andrews
- Rufflets Country Hotel
- Rufflets Country St Andrews
- Rufflets Hotel St. Andrews, Scotland