“Excellent Hotel”
Review of Rufflets Hotel

Rufflets Hotel
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in St. Andrews
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for three nights during our younger son's graduation. The Garden Suite was a perfect base and allowed us to do everything we needed to do as part of the graduation celebrations. We were only on bed and breakfast terms but the breakfast was back to the expected high standards (on a previous visit no hot chocolate was available for breakfast and the orange juice had run out).

We did have a Graduation Lunch but this was two days after the actual event and coincided with our son's birthday.

It was an excellent all round stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
StephenOwen, General Manager at Rufflets Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for choosing Rufflets again for this very special occasion and I am delighted that we surpassed your expectations.

Please pass on our congratulations to your son and we hope that you will find an excuse to return to Rufflets in the future.

With my best regards

There are newer reviews for Rufflets Hotel

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Our return visit to Rufflets did not disappoint! Visiting for the Graduation of a family member, one of the busiest weeks in the Calendar Year for a hotel, the courtesy of the staff, service and ambiance of this beautifully situated, well presented hotel had not changed from our previous visit during the calm of early December. Our room was a haven of peace and tranquility with a window overlooking the garden and a small balcony to the side. The bathroom was a pleasure to be in with Molton Brown treats for use during our stay. A large family dinner served in the Library was a very thoughtful touch giving us privacy to enjoy the reunion without disturbance to others. We have visited many other Country House hotels and in our opinion this hotel is unsurpassed. Now all we need is a reason to come and visit once more!

Room Tip: If you wish to have an extremely spacious, beautifully furnished room with a grand bathroom, Room 11...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

We strive to be consistent with our service, regardless at what time of year people choose to stay at Rufflets, so I was delighted to see that we had achieved this during Graduation week.

We will be finalising our Autumn breaks very soon so maybe that will that will give you a reason to return!

Stephen

PS - Room 11 is wonderful, and worth that little bit extra!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had the most wonderful trip to Scotland recently, and the highlight of our journey was our stay at Rufflets Guest House in St. Andrews. It is a beautiful old home that is very well appointed and comfortable. The gardens are breathtaking in June and afternoon tea on the garden verhanda was special. Our breakfasts were real treats and samples Scottish Country cooking. Dinner was likewise very special with the large selection of wines and after dinner malt whiskey. I recommend without reservation the Rufflets Guest House, especially in the early summer.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room to improve the night time ventilation.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
StephenOwen, General Manager at Rufflets Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Travers E

To be ranked as the highlight of your trip to Scotalnd is wonderful - thank you so very much!

The whole team do put so much effort into delivering the best service, and also best Scottish hospitality, and it is good for us all to be able to read when the hard work pays off so well.

Many thanks for your kind feedback - and we hope to see you and your friends again at Rufflets.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I booked the Family Room for a few nights' stay with my mother and sister. My mother is 88 years old and the time my sister and I spend with her is important. We all appreciate comfort and good food. The Rufflets provided both - with spacious, accommodation and lovely garden views from the windows. The food in the restaurant was excellent and the staff could not have been more helpful or considerate. (My mother is registered blind). We had easy access to St Andrews and the surrounding areas from the hotel for trips out. The hotel grounds are lovely and I am sure that many people prefer to remain there and simply enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of the hotel. We have previously had breaks in most of the 'Hydros' and since our stay in the Rufflets would now consider country house hotels in future for a more personal service and better quality of food and room provisions than we had in some of the larger hotels. I spoke so highly of the Rufflets on my return home that my husband and I plan to visit there ourselves in the future. .

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Delighted to see that you are already planning a return visit!

It is always a joy to read that we have catered so well for our guests and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Rufflets on future occasions.

With my best wishes,

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I recently spent one night with dinner, bed and breakfast. We had a lovely spacious room. The dinner and service provided was first class. A lovely breakfast was also provided.
We would recommend staying in this lovely country hotel.
Food excellent and well presented. Excellent, helpful, professional staff. Lovely gardens.
We will be back again when ever we have an opportunity to visit the area in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
StephenOwen, General Manager at Rufflets Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Sandy

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we hope very much to repeat the experience for you in the future.

We are (as a team) always pleased to read when we do get it all so perfect - something that we continually strive for.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Spent a wonderful time at Rufflets as a family celebration due to my niece graduating from university. The staff were superb, most especially Angela the food and beverages manager who combined professionalism and friendly banter perfectly. Beautiful grounds for a walk and the public rooms lovely and comfortable for a relaxing sit down. My only niggle was the small portions at dinner. My starter of crab ravioli was perhaps a tad cold and the bisque literally a dribble round the plate. Nothing wrong with my main course of lamb, it was absolutely delicious just on the small side. We all ordered the cheese board for a desert, since we were all still hungry and it was fantastic. Well done whoever chose those combinations of honeycomb, blue cheese, quince jelly, cheddar etc. Breakfast was astounding, no small portions there! All was well cooked and presented beautifully. Asking for something off menu was no trouble at all to staff, which to me is a sign of quality. Overall a fabulous place I would love to return to.

Room Tip: Room 14 has a little balcony but the solid wall means no view if you sit down. Big bathroom with wh...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the team looked after you so well.

It is good to be told about the ‘little niggles’ as they can often be fixed easily, so I appreciate your comments about the portion sizes which will be rectified for future guests.

Please pass on our congratulations to your niece and hope you will all find an excuse to return to St Andrews in the future.

With my best regards,

Stephen Owen

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was very impressed with everything about this hotel's restuarant. Myself and seven others had a celebratory meal here on 22nd June. The menu had an excellent choice; the service was first class and the ambience in general was superb. A walk round the beautifully tended gardens after the meal is a must. Altogether a first class epereinece; thanks to all the staff for a superb evening....

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends