“Luxury Lodge”

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in St. Andrews
renfrewshire
“Luxury Lodge”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We have just returned from a 4 night break from the Kinness Lodge at Rufflets and had a fantastic stay. The Lodge is situated in the hotel grounds which are beautiful. The lodge is very well equipped with everything you would need. The lodge is decorated very well and is very spacious with 4 bedrooms all with ensuite bathrooms. It is so quiet and peaceful but a perfect location, only 1.5 miles from the centre of St Andrews which is a lovely place. We had dinner in the hotel and the food was fantastic. I would thoroughly recommend this lodge for a family stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Inverness
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Rufflets is a beautiful country house that operates as a 4 star hotel. The rooms are excellent and equipped with all you would need, including the fastest wi-fi I've come across and the most delicious home made shortbread. The only meals we had in the hotel was breakfast which was average but acceptable. All the staff are friendly and attentive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at Rufflets on a visit back to St.Andrews to meet friends and loved it.
The room was lovely with a real attention to detail. Lovely Edwardian (i think) wardrobe and bedside tables had obviously been painstakingly found to fit with the hotel.

We were staying with our two year old and so once he was asleep our friends came to us and we had a lovely meal in the restaurant - having proven the babymonitor worked down the two floors. It was a lovely dinner. Staff were friendly and ambience sophisticated yet calming.

I had smoked salmon and scrambled egg for breakfast. The salmon was among the tastiest I can remember. We then had a stroll through the gardens before heading off.

I notice a few of the reviews like the place but feel it a tad pricey. We stayed on a last minute special rate advertised on the hotels own site and so were happy with what we paid.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Kincardineshire
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Two rooms were booked many, many months in advance for my family as we were attending wedding here. At £248 for bed and breakfast, I was expecting something special. I contacted the several times in the run-up to the wedding asking if they could assure us access to our rooms in order to get dressed. Each time I called I was told by surly staff they could not guarantee the rooms would be available until after 2pm. Given the wedding was taking place at 1.30pm and most of the rooms would have been booked by wedding guests, I found this unacceptable and short-sighted. Our room was very small and the bed felt like a 3/4 size with unecessary furniture making it feel cramped. The bathroom was tiny and instead of individual toiletries, refillable dispensers were supplied. The soap container was clogged and the pump had to be removed to
get the soap out. Prices for drinks purchased at the bar were very expensive. The meal served at the wedding breakfast was very nice and service worked very well. (We had ordered our choice
of meals several months ahead and were seated so that staff knew in advance who had ordered what) Breakfast was fine and offered standard fayre. It did not go unnoticed that at 11am on the dot, cleaners were outside our room waiting for us to vacate it and check out. Hmmm.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sybil N
StephenOwen, General Manager at Rufflets Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Sybil

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback from your stay at Rufflets for the wedding in July.

I too was disappointed to read your comments, but would like to take this opportunity to respond.

It is correct that we cannot guarantee access to rooms until 2.00pm on the day of arrival. When we have guests from the previous night leaving at 11.00am (check-out time), it does take time to have the rooms cleaned correctly, and I am sure that you would have been even more disappointed if your room had not been cleaned to the correct standard.

My staff were correct in the way they responded to your numerous calls in advance of your arrival - and they did inform you that we would do what we could to have the room ready earlier.

We had 70% of our rooms reserved by wedding guests for the same wedding, and many had also requested as early check-in time.

The time of the wedding (1.30pm) was chosen by your hosts, and I can see from our records that you were able to check-in at 12.20pm.

With regards the rate for the room, again our records show that the actual rate charged was less than the £248.00 stated.

For the bathroom toiletries, we do use large bottles of Molten Brown for shower gel etc. (to allow our guests to be able to use as much of this fine product as they wish), and we also have individually wrapped soaps as well.

On your day of departure, you are correct in stating that the housekeeping staff were in the corridor at 11.00am on the dot.

In fact, they were in the corridor at 10.30am cleaning one of the neighbouring rooms which had departed earlier, and the guest arriving that day had requested an early arrival, and so they were working hard to be able to allow for this.

Finally, I do know that the wedding itself was a great success, as we did receive some wonderfully glowing feedback from your hosts.

With my best regards,

Leeds
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The location of Rufflets is good, set in lovely grounds just a few minutes drive from St Andrews. The staff were very friendly on arrival. Our room was a good size, on the first floor, with a disappointing view over the flat roof below. The room was clean and comfortable. Outside our room was a computer for guests to use, we were disturbed twice early in the morning when it was being used. We did feel our room wasn't worth what we had paid for our one night stay. We ate in The Terrace Restaurant in the evening. The staff were nice but our table was below the light switches and we were disturbed three times for the staff to turn the lighting up and down. Breakfast the next morning was decidedly below average. There was only one waitress. Our cooked breakfast arrived long before our toast and coffee. The cooked breakfast was terrible, everything looked like it had been sat in the kitchen waiting from 7am to be served - we were in the restaurant just after 8.30am and 6/7 couples arrived after us so I can't imagine how stale there breakfasts were. A nice hotel but definitely not value for money.

1 Thank Leeds31
StephenOwen, General Manager at Rufflets Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to give your feedback on your stay.

I was concerned to read the slightly less positive comments, and I will be reviewing these issues with the team. I am glad to say that they are mostly simple to correct, and in fact such comments are rare, but I do accept the fact that your room didnt have the view over our beautiful gardens.

It was pleasing to read that there were some good aspects to your stay, and I can only hope that you might be able to return to Rufflets at some point so that we can show ourselves in a truer light.

Regards

Glasgow
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a night at Rufflets and we felt it was really important to come on here and express how impressed we were with this hotel.

It was my husband’s 50th birthday and we decided to get away for a night and so I booked a room through a last minute deal site. Unfortunately the site didn’t say that it was a twin room as opposed to a double. However, Stephen, the General Manager from Rufflets, called the next day to confirm our booking. When I told him it was my husband’s birthday and we had really wanted a double he was great. He apologised that there was no other rooms available but if he had any cancellations then he would move us, failing that the beds could be pushed together and the hotel would do everything they could to make sure he had a lovely birthday. Irrespective of the fact that I had really wanted a double room I kept the booking because I knew from the phone conversation that this place was going to offer us the type of service that we wanted. Even when I explained to Stephen that I would have liked to book a table in his restaurant but my husband was a picky eater, Stephen spoke to the chef and confirmed that they would make my husband whatever he wanted. I’ve heard of 5 star service, but I really felt this hotel went above and beyond that.

When we drove up to the hotel we were awestruck at how stunning it was, it’s tucked away from the main road and is just beautiful. We checked in and were really pleased to have a lovely room. No one had cancelled so we still had the twin, but it was so lovely we didn’t care. There was a birthday card sitting in the room from Rufflets which I thought was a great touch. Our room was superb, the beds were really comfortable and it was tastefully decorated. The bathroom had a brilliant whirlpool bath and a separate shower in it, which we loved.

At dinner time we went down to the bar to have a drink before our meal, and this is where we were just blown away by this hotel. 2 glasses of champagne were brought over to our table for my husband’s birthday. Then we met Angela Bradley, who treated us like royalty. We have never received better service, to say this lady goes above and beyond is an understatement. She put us at complete ease and talked us through the menu, Stephen had kindly passed on information about my husband’s dietary requirements and Angela was attentive to this. We were seated at the best table in the restaurant, overlooking the beautiful gardens and our meal was just a dream. The staff are so professional and friendly. The meal was cooked to perfection; its taste and presentation were great. After dinner we went back to the bar and Angela came to check on us frequently, it just made us feel so welcomed. All the staff at Rufflets are brilliant, but Angela just blew us away with her professionalism and friendliness, she really made our visit.

We had a great sleep and our morning breakfast was lovely, we then went for a walk through the gardens and we couldn’t believe how well kept they were. They were really breathtaking and we could have quite happily spent the day there.

So, to conclude this ridiculously long love letter to Rufflets. This place offers a world class service, I can fault them on absolutely nothing (and I can be very hard to please). The building is beautiful, the gardens are breathtaking, the rooms are elegant, the food is amazing, the staff’s attention to detail is immense and finally, Angela Bradley is a complete star. Thank you for making my husband’s birthday one that he’ll never forget, we’ll certainly be back to stay with you again.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the gardens.
Dear Heather

What can I say - to be able to read a review (love letter) like this makes us all so very proud - and underlines why we love what we do - we can and do make our guests very happy!

Notwithstanding the fact that we couldnt offer a double bedded room (and we did try hard to do this as well), your experience of our professional, friendly and caring service, along with what is a beautiful hotel is quite simply what we aim to deliver.

So, thank you so much for the comments - the whole team have really enjoyed reading them - and Angela, as you say, is a star.

In fact, I am grateful to be able to say that they are all stars - which is perhaps the reason why we are awarded gold stars by visitscotland.

Hoping to see you both again soon,

Stephen
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We have not stayed here recently. Can’t think why we have left it so long!
The refurbishment of the public rooms gives them a more modern look.
Our room was lovely and the fact that there was a card welcoming us back made us feel valued.
The food was excellent and beautifully presented. One minor observation about the service – it was it was almost too good, in that we would have liked a bit more of a break between courses.
The staff were friendly and attentive.
The whole experience was elegant and relaxing - a great break from our normal hectic lifestyles.

Dear Maggie

Thank you for the kind comments - and I am sorry that the service was perhaps on the 'slick' side.

When you come back (and I hope it will be soon) we will make sure that we slow it all down a bit for you.

So pleased that you like the refurbed front hall area. We do look to invest into the fabric of the building on an annual basis to make sure that we keep it all looking good and fresh.

Regards