“Petty Charging” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in St. Andrews
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Petty Charging”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

For an hotel charging £188 per night it does seem petty to charge £2-00 for paying the bill with a credit card. Also when we booked we specified no feathers in the room, the room had feather pillows which had to be changed. On the other hand the breakfast was magnificent, even though it took 40 minutes to arrive.
When queried about the credit card charge we were told that other hotels built the charge into their rates!- hardly convincing, Also the Rusacks charges for wi fi which in my experience is rare nowadays. They obviously take their charging system from Ryanair. Should we go again I shall no doubt be charged for the electricity I will use.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

Having stayed at a Travelodge in Edinburgh the night before, this was another World. Not cheap at £109 a night out of season, but was the cheapest hotel & guest house left in the Town at 3 weeks notice.
We booked 2 rooms, for a wedding, and took my 7 month old daughter who unfortunately for the Grandparents babysitting, became ill the night of the stay. The rooms are huge, clean, well equipped and with a great view of the Old Course 18th Green.
We stayed in one of the standard rooms, which had two bay windows, and was situated above the conservatory. As we were attending a wedding, we didn't try either of the two restaurants, but the Grandparents managed to sample the cuisine, and said it was good, if no a tiny bit over priced.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2010

Super Accomodating Staff, helpful & unstuffy. Offering stunning views of the Old Course & Ocean beyond, ample common areas, a wonderful restaurant. Great location for walking the charming town. Beautifully decorated room with a renovated bath... ours was a bit small, but that is a function of an older bldg. Would definitely go back!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2010

I have stayed at The Rusacks before and always enjoyed my stay. This time we were treated to a refurbished hotel which was completed in time for this year's Open Championship. This is a splendid hotel in all its glory, typically Scottish, and part of the ancient town of St Andrews rather than one of the more modern hotels that have sprung up with completely contrasting architecture.

The reception staff are a delight and extremely helpful and seem willing to assist you with anything possible.

The rooms are all tastefully decorated and very comfortable. Everywhere the game of golf is apparent, hardly surprising really when the hotel backs onto the 18th fairway of the Old Course, ground that many a famous sportsman and celebrity alike have walked upon.

A large bar area provides beautiful views across the links and up to the famous Swilken Bridge that the likes of Jack Niclaus and Arnold Palmer have stood upon as an emotional swan song to their final Open round at St Andrews. The views over the beach are equally splendid for those who don't partake in the noblest of games. The service within here whilst very polite, could do a heavier foot on the accelerator and I observed a number of irritable guests at the wait for tea and sandwiches hence my lower rating for service.

The hotel has done an excellent job in renovating the bar at ground level of the hotel, now called The One Under. I enjoyed a couple of beers here whilst pondering the crossword and received excellent and friendly service from the bar staff, one of whom was a medical student at the University.

The Rocca Bar and grill is the refurbished restaurant within which I enjoyed a sizeable Scottish breakfast to see me on my way back south. In intend to dine in this restaurant on my next stay.

I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to other people (though not too many as I need to have rooms available for my next stay!).

I have already booked once more for November and aim to enjoy the fairways of the links (or not, depending on the mood of my golf clubs at the time). At the same time I may bump into my son who is studying at the University (in between parties) if he is prepared to take time out of the many student centric activities and meet his parents.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

Spent a long weekend at the Rusacks and would highly recommend it. Great staff -friendly and very helpful. Lovely meal in the hotel restaurant. Nice room with great view. St Andrews great for a weekend break.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

I visited this hotel with my mother and grandmother because friends of mine had raved about the impecable service and unbeatable view / location. Though none of us play gold we really looking forward to staying in the historical town and often visit. On arriving, the staff were very attentive and the manager, Kevin, even came out to ask if we needed anything. My mother had some requests (they always do!) and he was more than happy to help her. I was really impressed that a manager would go out of their way and be kind enough to attend to people when they don't really have to. The rooms were very clean - we got the most beautiful view - that was worth the whole trip!! Plus the decor was lovely -- very Scottish and traditional. The room size was large with a big bathroom and plenty of toiletries. I liked that everyone was very friendly and eager to help. That was such a nice touch. The hotel itself has a real country home feel. We had actually stayed at the Old Course the year before - and though it's an amazing hotel my grandmother hated it as she thought it felt very corporate. This is a totally different case - it's very cosy and warm. I liked that the hotel common parts and rooms were clean and tidy. The breakfast was delicious with lots of choice. I really enjoyed my stay and can't wait to visit again! Thank you to everyone at the Rusacks.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

A lovely hotel in a superb location. Our bedroom was small and the bathroom door which was a sliding door was almost impossible to open and close. It was also to the front of the hotel and there is quite a lot of traffic noise.

On the plus side though, the service was excellent. We missed breakfast and asked if we could just have tea and toast. We were brought a delicious breakfast of fresh fruit, cold meat and cheese, pastries, toast and tea even though breakfast had finished half an hour earlier. The staff couldn't have been nicer.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple