“Disappointing”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in St. Andrews
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel with my son as we were looking at St Andrews university.I was disappointed in our room as it was very dark and the view was dismal.The bathroom is in need of major updating as the bath panel was cracked and the shower had very little pressure.I tried to open thebathroom window and it was covered in black mildew so obviously hadnt been cleaned or opened in a while!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear guest

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on Tripadviror. I’m sorry to hear that you thought the light was a little low in you room and that the cleanliness was not what you expected. The cleanliness of the Rusacks is high on my priority list as I have always been taught that a dirty hotel is a poorly managed hotel. We take pride in how clean the hotel is and with the help of my award winning Head Housekeeper we will address your points immediately. Our newly refurbished rooms are still very traditional however low lighting is not something I have encountered as the General Manager of the Hotel however please be assured if you are ever back at the Rusack and need extra lighting in your room please do not hesitate to ask and we will kindly arrange. Thank you once again and I hope you return to St Andrews and stay with us at the Rusacks.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Glasgow
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel overnight so that we could attend an event at one of the other hotels.
The staff couldnt have been more helpful and the qulaity of the room was second to none.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this as a place to stay for any occasion and hope to return

Room Tip: Be sure to stipulate that you have a room with a view.
Dear guest

Thank you for your nice words. We work tirelessly to ensure all of our guests have a fantastic time at the hotel and I am glad we did not disappoint on this occasion. I look forward to welcoming you back at the Rusacks in the future.

St. Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel a few times and on each occasion have been very impressed with it's high standards. This time our room had been refurbished and was of a very high standard.

It may be slightly expensive but well worth an enjoyable stay. A huge plus for us is that it takes dogs so we can take our Cairn terrier with us. It's a pity more hotels don't follow their example.

We'd recommend eating in the gastrpub (One Under) as it is excellent food with relaxed, friendly service.

Room Tip: If you have a dog request a ground floor car park room as you can enter/exit by the patio doors - ha...
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review in Tripadvisor. Its great to read that you had another fantastic time at the Rusacks. We refurbished our bed rooms this year at a cost of almost £1M and I have to agree they are looking great. The rooms can now only be described as traditional yet modern and contemporary with all the mod cons. alowing dogs at the hotel has been something we have done for a long time now and is a policy that we get so much praise for from many of our guests. I’m glad you enjoyed bringing your Cairn terrier along to the hotel and please make sure you bring it back with you in the future. Davie our Executive Chef oversees the food in both our 3 rosette Rocca Grill restaurant and our one under gastro pub. Davie has trained with some of the most famous, well decorated Chefs in the world and we are proud to have him as part of the Rusacks team. Hopefully when you return I will have the opportunity to welcome you back personally and I will also say hello to the dog.

Falkirk
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We arrived at the hotel on the Friday ( 8/11/2013 ) at 2:30pm and our room wasn't ready, after being told it would be ready at 2. We didn't really mind, so decided to have a drink in the bar, we found this to be expensive, just over £11 for two drinks but I expect to pay these prices at a hotel of this standard. Our room was ok, tidy and clean but a little cramped and the "double" bed was small. Breakfast was good, we felt the service was poor on the Saturday but excellent on the Sunday and a lot friendlier, we also felt that some guests were catered for more than others. We loved the reception area with the coal fire and comfy chairs, great for relaxing in, away from all the loud pretentious snobbery in the bar, although this is not the hotels fault.
Another annoying point was the fact the hotel has scaffolding up right along the front, obscuring the view, this was not mentioned to a few guests we spoke too when they booked.
I think if I go back to St. Andrews I would look for another hotel to stay.

Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review in Tripadvisor. The Rusacks is around 120 years old and is a beautiful old building full of character and history however with this comes a few small rooms that we can unfortunately do nothing about except make sure they are up to Macdonald hotels high standard. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our lovely coal fire as it is a real homely place to sit as the night draw in. We do at the moment have works going on at one side of the building however we are in the final few weeks of this and looking forward to seeing the building looking as good as new again from the outside. I hope you change your mind and return to the Rusacks as we would love to welcome you back to the hotel.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2013

A great hotel, lovely staff. I would have given 5 stars But as I hadn't been keeping well I asked if the chef could just make me an omlette as the menu was quite rich. He refused. it didn't spoil
the break as the rest of the staff are excellent. our room was lovely and warm and very comfortable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guest.

Firstly let me apologise for your experience at breakfast and let me assure you that we would normally always accommodate any request our guests have. However it is great to read that did not dampen your spirits and that you had a great time at the Rusacks. Hope next time you are with us you will offer us the 5 stars. Thank you for taking the time to post this and I hope to welcome you back to the Rusacks in the future.

Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We arrived on the 18th October our 44th wedding anniversary and checked out on the 20th. We had a lovely stay, the staff were friendly and very helpful. The restaurants and dining were good. As our break was due to an overbooking in a Dundee hotel we couldn't have asked for a better alternative. We like St Andrews and if we are able to return then we would prefer our stay to be in the Rusacks as the Hotel is quiet, in a good location and has a really good atmosphere with it's ever present golfing history. We had no problems, welcome assistance with luggage and parking.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest.

I’m really happy we got the chance to look after you after your unfortunate out booking and thank you for taking the time to post about your stay on tripadvisor. We have a great product at the Rusacks with great staff and even better service. Once you through in the location, views and history it becomes one of the most iconic golf hotels in the world. I hope you had a fantastic anniversary and congratulations on your 44 years together and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Aberdeen
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Really nice hotel, super friendly receptionist and bar staff (we ate in the bar downstairs as it was a bit more relaxed) - great food too.

Bed a bit squeaky even if you only move a little bit only downside. We enjoyed our stay however and will come back to this hotel again when we return to St Andrews. If you want a view make sure you specify when booking though as we didn't have one.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest.

Thank you for your nice review. I will makes sure your comments get passed on to the bar, reception and kitchen team. I’m glad you are planning on coming back to the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you on your return. I have passed on you comments to my housekeeping and maintenance team regarding the bed so that we can identify and fix it and please accept my apologies if this inconvenienced your stay in any way. Thank you again for taking the time to write of your stay at the Rusacks