“Fantastic Service”

Macdonald Rusacks Hotel
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in St. Andrews
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel overnight so that we could attend an event at one of the other hotels.
The staff couldnt have been more helpful and the qulaity of the room was second to none.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this as a place to stay for any occasion and hope to return

Room Tip: Be sure to stipulate that you have a room with a view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear guest

Thank you for your nice words. We work tirelessly to ensure all of our guests have a fantastic time at the hotel and I am glad we did not disappoint on this occasion. I look forward to welcoming you back at the Rusacks in the future.

999 - 1,005 of 1,319 reviews

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel a few times and on each occasion have been very impressed with it's high standards. This time our room had been refurbished and was of a very high standard.

It may be slightly expensive but well worth an enjoyable stay. A huge plus for us is that it takes dogs so we can take our Cairn terrier with us. It's a pity more hotels don't follow their example.

We'd recommend eating in the gastrpub (One Under) as it is excellent food with relaxed, friendly service.

Room Tip: If you have a dog request a ground floor car park room as you can enter/exit by the patio doors - ha...

Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review in Tripadvisor. Its great to read that you had another fantastic time at the Rusacks. We refurbished our bed rooms this year at a cost of almost £1M and I have to agree they are looking great. The rooms can now only be described as traditional yet modern and contemporary with all the mod cons. alowing dogs at the hotel has been something we have done for a long time now and is a policy that we get so much praise for from many of our guests. I’m glad you enjoyed bringing your Cairn terrier along to the hotel and please make sure you bring it back with you in the future. Davie our Executive Chef oversees the food in both our 3 rosette Rocca Grill restaurant and our one under gastro pub. Davie has trained with some of the most famous, well decorated Chefs in the world and we are proud to have him as part of the Rusacks team. Hopefully when you return I will have the opportunity to welcome you back personally and I will also say hello to the dog.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We arrived at the hotel on the Friday ( 8/11/2013 ) at 2:30pm and our room wasn't ready, after being told it would be ready at 2. We didn't really mind, so decided to have a drink in the bar, we found this to be expensive, just over £11 for two drinks but I expect to pay these prices at a hotel of this standard. Our room was ok, tidy and clean but a little cramped and the "double" bed was small. Breakfast was good, we felt the service was poor on the Saturday but excellent on the Sunday and a lot friendlier, we also felt that some guests were catered for more than others. We loved the reception area with the coal fire and comfy chairs, great for relaxing in, away from all the loud pretentious snobbery in the bar, although this is not the hotels fault.
Another annoying point was the fact the hotel has scaffolding up right along the front, obscuring the view, this was not mentioned to a few guests we spoke too when they booked.
I think if I go back to St. Andrews I would look for another hotel to stay.

Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review in Tripadvisor. The Rusacks is around 120 years old and is a beautiful old building full of character and history however with this comes a few small rooms that we can unfortunately do nothing about except make sure they are up to Macdonald hotels high standard. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our lovely coal fire as it is a real homely place to sit as the night draw in. We do at the moment have works going on at one side of the building however we are in the final few weeks of this and looking forward to seeing the building looking as good as new again from the outside. I hope you change your mind and return to the Rusacks as we would love to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

A great hotel, lovely staff. I would have given 5 stars But as I hadn't been keeping well I asked if the chef could just make me an omlette as the menu was quite rich. He refused. it didn't spoil
the break as the rest of the staff are excellent. our room was lovely and warm and very comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Guest.

Firstly let me apologise for your experience at breakfast and let me assure you that we would normally always accommodate any request our guests have. However it is great to read that did not dampen your spirits and that you had a great time at the Rusacks. Hope next time you are with us you will offer us the 5 stars. Thank you for taking the time to post this and I hope to welcome you back to the Rusacks in the future.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We arrived on the 18th October our 44th wedding anniversary and checked out on the 20th. We had a lovely stay, the staff were friendly and very helpful. The restaurants and dining were good. As our break was due to an overbooking in a Dundee hotel we couldn't have asked for a better alternative. We like St Andrews and if we are able to return then we would prefer our stay to be in the Rusacks as the Hotel is quiet, in a good location and has a really good atmosphere with it's ever present golfing history. We had no problems, welcome assistance with luggage and parking.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest.

I’m really happy we got the chance to look after you after your unfortunate out booking and thank you for taking the time to post about your stay on tripadvisor. We have a great product at the Rusacks with great staff and even better service. Once you through in the location, views and history it becomes one of the most iconic golf hotels in the world. I hope you had a fantastic anniversary and congratulations on your 44 years together and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Really nice hotel, super friendly receptionist and bar staff (we ate in the bar downstairs as it was a bit more relaxed) - great food too.

Bed a bit squeaky even if you only move a little bit only downside. We enjoyed our stay however and will come back to this hotel again when we return to St Andrews. If you want a view make sure you specify when booking though as we didn't have one.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your nice review. I will makes sure your comments get passed on to the bar, reception and kitchen team. I’m glad you are planning on coming back to the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you on your return. I have passed on you comments to my housekeeping and maintenance team regarding the bed so that we can identify and fix it and please accept my apologies if this inconvenienced your stay in any way. Thank you again for taking the time to write of your stay at the Rusacks

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst visiting my daughter, who is studying in St Andrews.
We chose the hotel because it allowed us to have our dog in the room. We didn't expect the dog to be allowed in the restaurant, but she wasn't allowed in the bar, which meant we couldn't enjoy a drink in the famous bar with the view over the golf course, which was disappointing. In my opinion, this hotel would be better NOT accepting dogs.
Our room was nicely furnished, but had no view (room 119). I loved the toiletries provided and liked the fact that fresh milk was available when making tea in the room.
At breakfast service was haphazard; the wait to be acknowledged and seated was bordering on rude. The choice of food was not as good as I expected. There was no vegetarian breakfast option (just tomatoes and mushrooms). The rolls were very small and dry, with only one choice of very insipid cheese. (It would have been good to have had more choice e.g. sweet pastries, different breads, vegetarian sausages, more cheeses). We had to ask several times for basic items eg butter. Tables were not being cleared as customers left, so we ate with other people's dirty plates and leftovers at tables around us. The breakfast room is a beautifully decorated room with great views over the golf course, it is a shame the food and service didn't match the surroundings.
We didn't eat in the hotel, but had an amazing Bangladeshi meal at a local Indian restaurant and also went to the coast for wonderful fish and chips.

Room Tip: Ask for view over course.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gambiabev
Chris F, General Manager at Macdonald Rusacks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Guest

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the hotel.

Our pet friendly hotel is designed for pet lovers who just won’t leave their pet at home and we are delighted to offer this service as many hotels do not. However we do have a policy of no pets in any rooms that serve food and I apologise if this was not communicated to you before hand. Our Breakfast gets rave reviews on numerous occasions and I am disappointed to hear we didn’t get it right for you on this occasion. Please have confidence that your comments have already been communicated back to the restaurant and we will endeavour to get this right for our guests in the future.