“A bit disappointed.”

Ranked #104 of 151 Restaurants in St. Andrews
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The first gastropub in the famed ���Home of Golf���, St. Andrews, The One Under is a superb combination of relaxed bar and high quality restaurant. Located just a stone���s throw from the links and the wave-battered craggy coastline, it���s the ideal place to warm oneself after a round of golf or a windswept walk. The One Under is chicly appointed in masculine tones of grey and brown, dark woods and tactile textiles with wing backed chairs for sinking in to and low slung sofas to snuggle upon, creating a real lazy Sunday afternoon atmosphere throughout the week. Passionate about delivering quality, The One Under stays true to the gastropub philosophy of simple food done well. The kitchen insists on the best possible produce, locally sourced from Scotland���s well-stocked natural larder and delivered fresh, ready to be cooked to order. Classic dishes with a European flavour make up the menu here at The One Under with both large a la carte style dishes and smaller snacks offering flexibility. The bar is stocked with a wide range of wines, beers and spirits and The One Under elects to show selected sporting events including major golfing tournaments on a big screen.
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Had to send 2 meals (fish ) back as they were grossly over cooked and inedible. Although staff were very apologetic the fact remains that they had still served us the dishes when it was obvious to the eye thst the food was ruined. It meant that 2 people in our party of 6 were out of synch with the rest who had finished their main courses before the replacement meals emerged from the kitchen. Poor selection of draught beer - no real ale. Doubt if we will be back.

Rocca G, Manager at The One Under Gastro Pub, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Robert,
Thank you for taking the time to review The One Under, we would firstly like to apologise that your experience was not to the high standard we expect to provide. I am continuing to investigate this matter with the employees involved. I'm sorry that you feel our selection of draft beers are not to your taste. I am surprised that you were not offered our eden brewery real ale which we have had for a number of months.
We would very much like to prove that experience you received during your visit was very out of character.
Best Regards,
Mark Roger
Restaurant Manger

Reviewed January 4, 2013

My partner and I visited the MacDonald Rusacks hotel from 26th - 28th December and despite deciding to eat here on our arrival night and try somewhere different the following, we ate here both nights which I feel speaks for itself as there is certainly no shortage of places to eat in St Andrews!

We were greeted by attentive and friendly bar and waiting staff. Enjoyed great meals with good portions and fair price. Fairly quick turn around on courses with a slightly longer wait on the second night when the bar was a little busier but this is to be expected. Lovely atmosphere in this pub, from the more open tables towards the entrance, or the more private alcove areas toward the back (complete with comfy wingback chairs!).

I personally recommend the Chicken Liver Parfait if you're a lover of pate! Best I've had and it was this dish alone and made me talk my partner into returning the following night (not that it took too much convincing). The Chicken Coq Au Vin and Angus Beek casserole were also fantastic. The fish and chips were so good, my partner had this both nights.

If you're in St Andrews, give this place a try!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The One Under is described as a Gastro pub. It has a large window table for a large group of people and tables for 2 with comfortable leather chairs for couple. Relaxed quiet and comfortable. The food is great and the service spot on. Exceptional value for money given the location. There is a car park at the back, it takes a bit of finding.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had a disappointing meal at this restaurant, had a very long wait for starters, food was over seasoned to the point of it being inedible. Service was ok, but had to ask waiter to take away empty glasses as they were building up (due to long wait for food!) and he tried to put plates on the table even though not enough room due to empties! I feel this may be a place catering for tourists but as I local I wasn't impressed. There are much better restaurants in St Andrews which offer better food and better value.

1  Thank ollie155
roccamgmt, Manager at The One Under Gastro Pub, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Thank you for your feedback on The One Under on Trip Advisor. I apologise that your visit was clearly not up to standard.I have spoken to all staff involved. We are in the process of reviewing our menu for Autumn and hope that at some point in the future we may have the opportunity to improve your last impression of The One Under .
Regards
James Cantlie

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Really nice menu, great location, perfectly ok food but... no ale. They've got lager, belhaven best and guinness... but for me, while a restaurant is about food, and a wine bar about wine, a gastropub is a pub with good beer and good food... both are essential. This was a hotel bar + food. I had mussels and then a rather unadventurous burger. Our party seemed happy enough with fish-n-chips, terrine starter and other dishes. Nice coffee. Didn't like the television on the wall. Overall probably the food would be 3* but, sorry, only 2* due to misleading positioning.

Thank you for taking the time to review The One Under on Trip Advisor . We appreciate your feedback and we now serve a locally brewed real ale . Our menu has been reviewed for the upcoming Autumn & Winter months to include more local and exciting true gastro pub dishes. We do hope to be able to welcome you back .
Regards