“Fabulous place to eat - but needs to rethink menu”

West Port Bar & Kitchen
Ranked #38 of 149 Restaurants in St. Andrews
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had read online that the Westport served great cocktails at reasonable prices and as my sister and I were looking to have a nice meal we thought we would give it a go. The atmosphere was great - not to noisy but not so quiet everyone could hear your conversation either. The staff were very friendly and attentive. The cocktail menu did not let us down - pitchers at £10 a pop that went down a treat! Our only issue with the restaurant was the menu. As healthy eaters, watching what we eat, there was very little on the menu to suit unless you like salad. It was worse for my sister being a vegetarian. In the end it was either order something laden with calories or leave, and as the cocktails were so good we went with the calories. I ordered the burger which I have to say was exquisite (fries were a little under cooked and not sure I liked the potatoe skin left on them). My sister was not as easily pleased as she had gone for a pea and asparagus risotto thinking it would be healthier than the bean burger. Unfortunately the risotto came out laden with cheese so she was less than chuffed. All in all it was a good place to eat and drink and I would definitely go back for the cocktails and when not watching what i eat, there was plenty food on menu I would love to try - it would be nice though to see more meals with less calories on the menu. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We visited West Port Bar & Kitchen on a Sunday lunch time, just before the rush. The service was good and we were pleased that we weren't rushed. The food arrived in a reasonable time and was very good. Our only disappointment was that we felt the drinks were a little overpriced but that was all.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Food quality was OK, just above average for the price. The service was poor but the bar was very busy, we waited 15 minutes after ordering our initial round of drinks. We were seated in a booth with a corridor either side of us, so we felt as though all the traffic / waiters hurtled by us constantly, very distracting. It was also very draughty until the waiter switched off the air-con, that did help but I will not have dinner in here again if I have to sit @ this table it is awful.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

There's a good choice for lunches in St Andrews so it's testament to the quality of West Port that we keep going back for more.

Situated at the west end of South Street, this is a farily trendy establishment that is less 'studenty' than many nearby establishments. The beer garden is a highlight for a summer afternoon or evening - its faces south and is sheltered from east coast winds.

The drinks selection is fairly good, with Williams Bros Joker IPA a highlight from the regular draft selection. The menu is quite good if a little predictable. The sharing plates are uninspiring and we learnt some time ago to steer clear of these bland offerings. But there's some tasty crepes, a beer battered haddock that is normally big and tasty and a pleasing venison burger. Chips with everything sort of arrangments here but the chips are home cut.

Finally friendly and efficient service usually ensures a good time will be had. And if you don't fancy the beer garden, this place has plenty of different rooms and sahpes, sizes and heights of tables.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Went early on a Sunday morning and found a great breakfast! Nice service and well looked after. Surroundings comfortable too. Poached eggs were lovely....