“Convenient for University and excellent value”

St. Nicholas Farmhouse
Ranked #49 of 73 St. Andrews B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I wanted somewhere that was reasonably priced for a visit to St Andrews University. I mainly picked this B&B as it was cheaper than others in the town and hadn't read any of the other reviews. My daughter and I were very pleased with my choice. We had a downstairs twin room with ensuite shower, a small kitchenette with a microwave and a sunroom with easy chairs and TV with DVD. Well I say sun room but for some of our visit their was torrential rain! The owners, Bill and Ann were away on a cruise but their housekeeper was very welcoming and offered us an umbrella as we were out walking a lot!

The beds were very comfortable and the full cooked breakfast the next day was excellent, with cereals, fruit, toast and choice of egg with cooked items.

The location is fantastic, just next to the East sands beach, and next to the coastal walk into the town. My daughter wished we were staying another day so that we could explore further along the headland out of town.

The only negative I would have is that we found the room too hot and unfortuantely the radiator control was behind the wardrobe. Other than that I would highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 22, 2012

We have stayed at the st nicholas farmhouse, twice, and found everything excellent, we like the room downstairs with the conservatory, very good room very clean, only if there was a bath in the room, after a long walk or playing golf you will have a long soak, but apart from that no complents, the breakfast's in the morning are excellent, very good choice of food, the house-keeper is very good cook, keeps the house very clean. I have told many of my friends about the b&b, very good for all the tourist areas, if you stay at the b&b try the new inn for a bar meal.
can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: try to get the room on the bottom floor right hand side before stairs, got a conservatory where you...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Bill and Ann were great hosts in this convenient B&B. The rooms are very clean, though basic "homey" feeling...we had a little sitting room with a TV and wifi which was relaxing after a day of driving. Breakfast was excellent. This is great value for the money in St. Andrews and we would return!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Barkley1948
Reviewed June 24, 2011

The location of this B & B is great, not far at all from the town centre and easy to find. Bill and Ann were both very welcoming to us and our nine month old daughter.
We stayed in a double room which also had a kitchenette, small sunroom and ensuite (it looked like perhaps it was a self contained annexe at some point for a relative). The room in general was quite tired and in need of updating/refurbishment, but was clean and comfortable.
Breakfast the next morning was quite nice and certainly filled a hole.
I think given the location, service and size of the accomodation this property is quite good value.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2011

My son and I stayed here two nights, and our hostess could not have been more wonderful. Tidy, clean and well lit rooms, good sized bathroom, and wonderfuo breakfast. My son was worn out from the trip, and our hosts could nto have been more caring and accomodating. Room was large and very pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DMB52
Reviewed January 22, 2011

We stayed here for one night whilst on a driving holiday through Scotland in August 2007. I have fond memories of the warm welcome, and of Ann's fantastic breakfast. St Nicholas is exactly how a B&B should be: homely, welcoming, excellent value and very comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kauffmad
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I was shocked at how much many places in St Andrews cost when I was looking and this place was on £30pppn for B&B, so as it was 1 night, we booked.

The location is about a 10 mins walk to the harbour and 15 mins to the main town, so handy and it is just behind the beach.
We had no issue parking as there was plenty of room.
Our room was very good. It was large and the bed was huge (2 singles fitted together properly). There was ample tea/coffee making facilities and there was a small fridge too. I would rate the room as 4*.

I am used to B&Bs asking you to tell them what time you want breakfast and what you want in your cooked breakfast the night before and then having it freshly cooked when you come down for breakfast. I was disappointed here though. With the exception of eggs, the rest of the cooked breakfast had been cooked up earlier and left in a warm buffet. It was not as hot as it should have been and the freshness was gone.

The owners were nowhere to be seen as they were away one a long holiday. We were greeted by a student and shown to our room, so not the usual nice welcome we have had at other places.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo