“Disgusting, locked out in the cold!”

No12 Bed & Breakfast, St Andrews
Ranked #8 of 73 St. Andrews B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I arrived at 10.15pm and was refused entry by pam! Having booked, paid a full night deposit and spoken to her explaining I was driving 6 hours from liverpool and expected to arrive around 9pm I was locked out. I spoke to her at 9pm on the phone and she angrily said she would Let me in. Whilst still driving i received a text saying 10.30 was too late and I should find alternative Accomodation. Arriving at 10.15 I attempted to ring the bell but pam refused to answer the door and then after 2 missed calls answered her phone saying 'did u not get my message. I don't need you in my house.'

I was therefore left without a bed after a long drive in a foreign town with all other B and B fully booked. I could not believe it. She then refused to drop off my deposit at another hotel in St. Andrews as there was ' no parking,' lied about sending a cheque and finally paid the deposit back.

No doubt pam will explain its a family home with no late check in facilities but to be awake at not an unreasonable hour with prior warning and still refuse entry is cruel, selfish and unbelievably unprofessional and unwelcoming.

I have never had a word of apology from her! Do not give this inhumane woman your business

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank Nick H
Izatt, Owner at No12 Bed & Breakfast, St Andrews, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

I have great pleasure in welcoming guests into No12 B&B (my home).
I enjoy meeting people from all over the world with many different cultures and I enjoy making their holiday and experience in St Andrews enjoyable and memorable.
I work very hard to ensure all guests enjoy the same experience and over the past 3 years have had many happy, satisfied and delighted guests, hence in Top 10 Trip Advisor for B&B’s in St Andrews, many repeat guests and many Thank You cards from guests.

However, it is unfortunate when 1 guest tries to spoil things!

This "unsavoury" character whose rude, aggressive, abusive and unreasonably demanding behavior was certainly not welcome into my home. Thankfully after this very unpleasant experience, I know I certainly made the right decision in not allowing him into my home!

Remember there are always 2 sides to every story!
Yours ofcourse factually inaccurate!
I'm afraid Nick you are very much the odd one out!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is a very friendly home from home B@B as soon as you walk in through the door the freshness hit's you, then Pam so super friendly with lots of friendly very usefull information giving you recommended restuaurants, i went during the busy golfing season so Pam advised to book early avoiding disapointment,supplied me with taxis info ect. The beds were extremely comfortable and the decor in the room was very modern, great view of the rear garden and patio very well mantained and picturess. The breakfast was outstanding i had haddock and got two poached eggs yes two not one, i sat with two other guests who had a full scotsman 's breakfast's all so beautifully presented i felt like a was staying in the Hilton believe me this was ten times better. Would deffinatley recommend it as the place to stay in a most adorable St Andrews carn't wait to revisite. Oh and i have to mention Bunty the dog which also made this visit complete, thanks Pam for your hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights. We found the room lovely, bed and bedding super comfy and warm considering we were staying during 2 days of wild weather. Breakfast was beautiful especially the whiskey porridge, quality ingredients cooked well. Pam and Bunty were very friendly and welcoming providing conversation and privacy. Pam offered great advice for visitor attractions and places to eat. The small things are done very well. Loved St Andrews and this B&B.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I booked Pam's b&b for a long romantic weekend away for me and my hubby. The b&b is less than a 5 min walk to the east sands and about 10 min walk into the center of St Andrews. Pam was very welcoming and was able to help us with all the best places to eat and pubs to get a good pint. Nothing was too much trouble and made our stay superb. Our room was lovely and the king size bed was very, very comfortable. Every morning we enjoyed a freshly prepared breakfast, the smoked haddock with poached eggs or smoked salmon with scrambled eggs were our favorites. We will be definitely returning to No 12 each time we visit St Andrews as Pam is an amazing hostess and Bunty is adorable too ( Pam's dog ).

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was our second visit to #12 B&B, and once again, it was the highlight of our trip! And frankly, well worth the price. Pam is so personable,welcoming and always ready to assist her guests. The beds are king size and really comfortable, the baths and all the amenities are first class. Both the sea view and the garden/town view are lovely. The breakfasts are incomparable for the quality; fresh local berries, eggs, and smoked haddock, delicious smoked salmon, croissants... After a week of other B&B's with the normal fry up and only full size beds, we were fairly longing to be back at Pam's. We have two teenagers, and this time we stayed in the family suite. My husband and I were in the Bamboo room, which was delightful. Unlike the review by Lesko K, we found it to have plenty of room, even with such a large bed. We did share a bath, but only with our own children. The corridor is away from the other rooms and the stairs. We love the quiet location, and proximity to the sea and the Fife Coastal Path for hiking. And it is only a quick walk into town. We couldn't recommend it more! Babette and Steve Cuffe

Room Tip: We have been in three different rooms now at #12. They are all great!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Just returned home after another lovely stay in this B&B in St Andrews. This is our fifth visit and we would never consider staying anywhere else! Pam (the proprietor) is kind enough to let us stay in her very comfortable Orchard Room, which has wonderful sea views.
We enjoyed freshly prepared breakfast every morning which included smoked salmon, haddock, fresh fruit and croissants.
We look forward to our next stay and to the lovely welcome we always get from Pam.

Jeanette & Pat Creighan

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed with Pam for one night during a very busy season in St. Andrews. We couldn't have had a more welcoming or helpful hostess. She gave us plenty of tips on how to beat the traffic, where to dine and how to get to some tourist destinations. Our room was beautifully decorated and the bed was so comfortable that it was difficult to get up the following morning! If we were ever to return to St. Andrews, No12 would be our first port of call.