“Avoid at all costs!”
Review of Zest

Zest
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Good vegetarian/vegan options and can cater for Gluten Free diets. We serve speciality coffee with 2 choices of espresso roast and fully trained Baristas. We are a local and independent training cafe. We help to support people facing barriers to employment or with additional needs by providing a friendly, inclusive workplace to learn and develop :)
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Saturday lunchtime, 2 'ladies doing lunch' think, "we'll have a go here". I have been in nicer and better quality, cleaner and far fiendlier greasy spoon caff's than this. We decided on Soup & a Sandwich each and a soft drink. Rudely pointed at the fridge to get our drinks, the sandwiches were really nothing special and the soup was barely warm. The tables were dirty and uncleared, the door to the loo was smeared with something not-very-pleasant, the floor was filthy. I won't be back.

1  Thank Kath076
LisaZest, Owner at Zest, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thankyou for your comments, although not constructive i am certain that they bear little resemblance to our cafe. Having taken your comments seriously I have investigated by talking to customers who were present on saturday lunch and all my staff members however it has proved difficult to match your picture with theirs. I also find it difficult to believe that the cafe was " dirtier than a greasy spoon" when i had been in not 3 hrs earlier to a clean tidy cafe which had been completely deep cleaned 2 days previously. You will see from other recent reviews that your experience is not typical or representative.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Popped in for an early lunch with a friend. The cafe is lovely and warm, which is especially welcoming with cold temperatures outside. The regular size coffee was absolutely huge, very good value for money! I had the jacket potato with roasted vegetables and feta which was very tasty - the only constructive criticism I have would be for the topping to be more generous, and for it to be served hot. Our meal was served promptly by friendly staff.

LisaZest, Owner at Zest, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thankyou for your feedback, sorry to hear that you would have liked more toppings.. our team are always more than happy to help & if there is something to improve upon we will make every effort to do so!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

stopped by with some of my elder family here today and will happily return for more coffee, tea and going by one of the party's scone, one of those or another cake from the selection. It is a nice warm relaxing place to stop and the staff are happy to help, clear and clean tables and make the stay comfortable. I don't mind paying up front either; if it was me I'd do the same.

LisaZest, Owner at Zest, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thankyou for your review! Feedback is so valuable to us for our improvement. If you liked the scones, then you will love what we are doing for St Andrews day on 30th November. We are going all out on the traditional Scottish Homebaking, with Traditional Homemade soups and our now famous Haggis Stovies!! We'd love to see you again...

Reviewed September 13, 2013

great venue, excellent especially for the young and zestful at heart, atmosphere buzzing, spilling onto street with outside tables. Provide a loo for the general public which is great especially when the St Andrews public loos were shut, however they need a good clean and a lick of paint.

LisaZest, Owner at Zest, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Really glad you enjoyed your visit with us at Zest, following your review we have repainted the bathrooms, retrained all staff to ensure bathrooms are kept to a high standard... and have more plans in place for even more re-sprucing!!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Visited Zest for a coffee today which was fine. On visiting the toilet however it was a different story. No soap in dispenser, and the toilet door has a spring on it obviously salvaged from a wolverine trap. The door snapped shut on my fingers, 2 of which are now black and blue, and I fear I may lose a nail. The staff did get me some ice but that is not the point. There is no need for a spring loaded door, there is only one toilet and the lock is on another outer door. If this happened to a small child the consequences could be much worse. The spring should be removed.

LisaZest, Owner at Zest, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Killer door has been readjusted to make sure this doesn't happen again. Very sorry you had a bad experience, we would love to see you again.. and rest assured problem fixed!!