I stayed at this hotel with my 11 year old daughter. My husband booked it because it was cheaper than other St Andrews hotels and near to St Leonards School , which we were visiting. We walked to the Inn from the bus station in about 15 minutes, although i believe other buses pass the door, and you can park outside.
The ground floor of the Inn is a fairly basic pub, complete with pool table and two large flat screen TVs. It's very traditional and reminded me of student pubs from my college days, although as it's not too near the university, the majorty of the clientele seemed to be local residents. The bar lady was extremely welcoming, and our room was excellent - very comfortable beds, lovely crisp white linen, and a spotless and newly decorated bathroom.
We decided to eat in the bar (which was currently hosting a pool match and also showing a football game on TV); everyone was very nice and friendly, and the food we ordered from the small but ample menu was absolutely delicious - my daughter had a home made cheeseburger and I had salmon with a sweet chilli sauce. The food was all home cooked to order, and the two meals , together with two drinks, came to only £15.
In the morning the same chef - who I believe now has the lease of the pub - kindly made our breakfast early to enable us to get away on time. My daughter had an excellent cooked breakfast, and I had plentiful coffee and toast. The chef, John, was a mine of information about the area, and nothing was too much trouble.
I would definitely recommend the New Inn if you want well priced comfortable accommodation within walking distance of the town. It is not luxurious, but it's a lot more personal and friendly than the big chain hotels, the beds are good, the food's good, - and it only cost me £50 for B & B for two.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The New Inn is a lively local with five contemporary en-suite bedrooms. All rooms have free wifi access, refreshment tray and free view TV. We offer a good selection of home made meals using local produce. A warm welcome is guaranteed at this ideal affordable base for exploring St Andrews. Walking distance to town centre and centrally located for many golf courses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LateRooms and Priceline so you can book your The New Inn St Andrews reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The New Inn St Andrews Hotel St. Andrews
- The New Inn St Andrews St. Andrews, Scotland