“No atmosphere and poor service” 2 of 5 bubbles

Great American diner
Cuisines: American, Fast Food, Diner
Dining options: Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Seating, Waitstaff
“No atmosphere and poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Gave this place a try as looks good decor wise , to get you in Americana diner experience , it couldn't be further away from that if they tried , service was poor , for to many staff hanging around , looking at laptop at end of bar !!, my coffee was like dishwater , the burger was dried out as where the buns , I've had a better American experience from a greasy burger can at side of road , such a shame as town could do with a decent eatery

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Littleboyblue25

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Shaky start but good potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I still feel a bit unsure about the great American Diner.... it was a mixture of lows and highs. We counted overall 8 members of staff and yet upon arrival no-one greeted us and there was no signage to suggest you were to just take a table or if you should wait to be seated. Given that it was not very busy it took a while for a lady to come over and give us a menu each but she was reasonably pleasant. The menu itself was a choice of eggs or meat. Many types of omelettes and a selection of burgers are available. I wasn't exactly overwhelmed by the choices having been to America I remember quite well that the diners we stopped in stretched further than that and had a few more veggie friendly options. Still, in the belief that that are new and are perhaps going for quality over quantity I hope their selection will widen in time. I decided on the only chicken option on the menu with a milkshake and my partner a burger and milkshake. When our waitress came back we went to make our order but I was told that they no longer offered the chicken burger. I was disappointed but went for a regular burger instead. They have a combo deal on the menu but it would be good to know what meals are and what meals are not combos, it was not in any way clear?! Order made, we waited and our milkshakes came after a bit, they were DELICIOUS! The decor is a nice idea, it seems a bit unfinished though, untidy paintwork around the ceiling and two heaters in the window connected to easily accessible electrical adaptor sockets next to a table where a child was sitting alarmed me quite a bit! Our burgers came not too long after that and our waitress changed. Our new waitress, quite a young girl, couldn't do enough for us and was very helpful. Fresh drinks we ordered came promptly and our burgers were really tasty and well made. We were too full for dessert but our waitress was kind in trying to persuade us to have one and let us know how to pay when we were ready. I noticed two separate workers eating food from out-with the restaurant at tables in the restaurant during our visit which I found a bit off and think maybe they are lacking in a staff room area. Overall I think going on the quality of the food and drinks and the service of some of the staff this place could do really well as it has a potentially fun image and is something different in Kirkcaldy but I think they need to make a few changes, especially in extending their menu and health and safety, if they are to survive on the high street. A last touch - if you are going to leave comment cards on the tables, maybe leave out a pen as well if you want them filled in? Good luck Great American Diner, I hope you get your early days creases ironed out, we'll be back to try again soon!

“A wee gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

A tiny little diner at the end of Kirkcaldy High Street. Decor is how you would imagine an 'American' diner to look, 50s style booths and bar (non-alcoholic) with vintage food related prints on the wall.
The owners (a couple from the USA) are incredibly friendly and helpful, and try to keep things as authentically American as possible.
Everything is made to order. This is not FAST food! And that's one of the reasons I like this place.
The menu isn't huge. Burgers, chilli fries, hot dogs, pancakes, waffles , shakes. However, everything we have tried has been delicious. The burgers are made with proper butcher meat as opposed to pre made patties that you will find in many other establishments in the High Street. They are juicy and delicious (according to my husband who prides himself as somewhat of an expert in this field). The hotdogs aren't like anything I've tasted before. Very smokey and very moreish! The chilli that goes into the chilli cheese dogs and fries is also delicious, and not very spicy so the kids will enjoy it. My husband also loves their omelettes and we can all vouch for the milkshakes! Yummmmm!
The prices there reflect the quality of the food. If you want a burger meal deal that is pre-made hours before then go elsewhere.
My only gripe (and it is small) regards the waiting staff and others behind the scenes. We have visited on many occasions and small errors keep being made, small mistakes in the orders, no cutlery brought with meals or glasses with tins of juice. These all have been rectified as soon as they were brought to the attention of the staff. It does also seem that there is a lot of chaos on occasion, especially during busier times, which needs to be streamlined. However, the staff there are incredibly friendly and welcoming...much as you would expect from an American eatery.
Iit is very early days for this wee place and I'm sure that my gripes are just teething problems.
We love it there and as long as the quality of the food remains high and the service remains friendly we shall continue to eat there!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mrszombie
“Didn't even get to try the food!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Went in for a burger as husband wanted to try it out. After sitting for an hour watching everyone that came in for takeaways getting served before us, plus a table that had came in after us, we left...without eating! For such a small place and only serving burgers, you would expect service to be quick. How hard can it be to flip a couple of burgers n chuck them in a bun? There is only five tables so you would expect a quick turn around but this wasn't the case. We won't be back in a hurry!!

3 Thank Chrislazski
Kirkcaldy
“Lack of effort on everything apart from the decor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

The place inside is amazing that's the only good point I'm afraid. Went in for a meal to try the experience on Saturday night rather than being welcomed or greeted we were simply told "sit where you want". The menu was rather disappointing with 6 burgers to chose from and most of which were the same but the ingredients were arranged differently. The only time we seen our waitress was when she took our order and delivered it as the 4 waitresses were all cleaning cutlery as opposed to providing customer service. I actually had to go up to the front and ask for drinks with my meal. The meal was rather disappointing as the burger was to big and rather tasteless and shockingly the chips were under cooked, how hard is it to make chips seriously. Won't be going back I'm afraid only bonus from the experience was they forgot to charge us for our drinks so we saved £3 :)

4 Thank Kingsneaks