“A little dated”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kirkcaldy
Bury, United Kingdom
“A little dated”
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business in December and I must say the drive up is very impressive. Once you get into the hotel the traditional decor in the reception is warm and welcoming. The rooms however do need a degree of modernisation. The stay in the hotel was fine and the food was fair. I wasn't massively impressed with the tea and coffee tray though as my complimentary biscuits were open and 2 of them were missing. Not a big deal but just makes you wonder if the room was actually clean or not.

Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Hellie000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
kirkcaldy
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I often lunch there but I won't be back there till the place is heated I've been there today we could not take our coats off who goes for a meal and has to sit with scarfs jackets etc sorry Dunnikier your now down the Dunni until u heat the place up and I was,nt the only one who complained today nobody was happy in there today if that was warm today I could have had another nice glass of wine but it chilled me to the bone if you have a problem with your gas at least put more than one heater in your main lounge.s the waitress who served me touched my skin and I could not believe how cold she felt come on this has been going on to long and if your excuse is you can't get gas get some other heating in there your going to loose diners trust me

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Kirkcaldy hotels

Ayrshire
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and i stayed at the Dunnikier House on the 25th and 26th of January 2013, As i entered the reception area , i thought ' oh my God !' i was completely blown away with the wooden carvings of little horned Gods on the tops of the pillars holding up the ceiling. There were another two holding up the mantle on the ornate wooden open log fire. These carving are exquisite, with mer people and green men also. i dont think they are original features to the house. The staff are very attentive and friendly and the rooms are what i expected from a property of this age, with all the usual requirements. the view across the parkland is very nice and make a stay here more memorable. We dined there the first night, we wont be again. The food was very uninspiring and both my wifes cajun chicken and my curry were identical dishes with the same consistancy and ingredients. My wifes may have been a little sweeter ? It looked like whoever cooked it poured it out of a jar and couldn't be bothered. Breakfast was predictable and my coffee was undrinkable as it was full of grounds. I would definately stay here again, but i will dine elsewhere next time, which is a pity as the bistro and bar are very nice and comfortable with a good ambience.

Room Tip: We were in room three, comfortable enough with a nice view over the park.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Just returned from a three night stay whilst visiting family. The hotel staff are all really friendly and professional.Yes the bedrooms are a little dated but they are clean and comfortable with small flat screen television and tea and coffee making facilities. Breakfast was of a very high standard with a choice of cereal's and fruit followed by a choice of full scottish, omelette with various fillings, smoked haddock, smoked salmon etc with toast and fruit juice. All were freshly prepared and piping hot. We also ate during the evening and took advantage of the two courses for £7.95 or three courses of £9.95 as part of the early evening menu served between four and seven, again there was a excellent selection with good quality well presented dishes. We took advantage of sitting in front of the log fire in reception with a drink after dinner and can honestly say we really enjoyed our stay here.My cousin who lives locally and joined us for dinner one evening has messaged me to say that they have returned for an early dinner as they were so impressed...all in all very good value for money in a lovely manor house setting!

Room Tip: Room overlooked the entrance of the hotel not the most picturesque view but the room was of an exce...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mark a
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We went in here for some late lunch on a Saturday before heading off to the cinema and we ended up wishing we hadn't bothered. When we went in, we asked at reception whether food was being served and we were told it was. After waiting a bit for our orders to be taken and drinks brought we sat for ages and no food appeared. Eventually a sheepish-looking waiter appeared (whom we hadn't dealt with up to this point) and advised that the chef had been upstairs having a lie down and it would be about another 10 minutes before the food arrived. 10 minutes turned into 20 and my wife went out to reception to enquire why our food orders had been taken when there was no one in the kitchen to cook them - just at that point a bell rang and the waiter scurried off to get the food leaving my wife waiting for an answer from the guy behind the desk - the same guy who had been there when we came in. He could offer no explanation and my wife's request to see a manager was ignored. On our way out, the guy behind the desk had disappeared and we were told that he was the duty manager! Food was just average when it did turn up and the hand-cut chips looked like Tesco stripeys.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grumpystickboy
Kirkcaldy, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Duniker Hotel is one of my favorite places. It serves food all day which is a real convenience for me as I lead a very busy lifestyle. I often bring friends, family and business associates here for food. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds next to a golf course. The views from the restaurant over the park are lovely. Walking into the reception is like walking into a stately home. It has very ornate wood and plaster work with a big open fireplace and a big comfy couch to relax on. The staff are always very welcoming and friendly. Nothing is ever a problem, they are always very obliging. The prices are very reasonable as well. This establishment has never disappointed me, I can confidently bring any one here to impress.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 333nigel
Burntisland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Having had lunch at the Dunnikier House Hotel many times, and found the food to be of excellent quality and value, we booked the Hotel for Mum's 80th with an overnight stay for all the family.
The food and service were fantastic and the attention to detail was 1st class.
Other reviewers are unhappy about the rooms, I found the rooms spacious and exactly what I would expect for an older hotel. (I work away from home and spend 100-200 nights a year in hotels). The rooms are good.
I would like to thank Lynn and Charles and their staff for making the 80th a really special occasion, 5 stars *****.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkcaldy
The Dean Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burntisland
The Woodside Hotel
The Woodside Hotel
#2 of 3 in Aberdour

Been to Dunnikier House Hotel? Share your experiences!