“Great location”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kirkcaldy
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“Great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

Great location, but don't take advantage of outside space. Not enough seats and area could be bigger and use it to encourage families as park and swings in clear view to keep an eye on kids!
Staff very friendly and helpful. Reasonable prices and food good. Could do with some TLC on outside thou.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

This lovely old building in a great location in Kirkcaldy is set between the golf course and Dunnijier Park and easy access to the rest of Fife. Although the hotel appeared clean, the common areas and in particular the rooms appeared very tired and dated. The bed itself was large and comfortable but the carpet was worn and frayed and the furniture had seen better days. Of particular concern were the electric sockets which were cracked and hanging off the wall and also the trailing extension leads. I also found the old-school (rather than swipe card) door lock on the room concerning as it was difficult to tell whether the door was locked or not - not very reassuring!! The bar menu appeared good but when my thai green chilli arrived it was very mediocre; the bar itself was nice and comfortable in contrast to other hotel bars and looked to be very popular.

In contrast to all I have written so far, the breakfast was delightful!! The view from the dining room was stunning across the Firth of Forth and the 'full Scottish' breakfast with buffet of juice, cereal and fruit was very good!!

With a bit of money spent on upgrading this hotel it has the potential to be very good but for the time being I'll be giving it a miss...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

This review is only for the Hotel Restaurant:
I have stayed in Kirkcaldy with my husband while on business, and we have eaten in the restaurant on several occasions and have never been disappointed.
I find the menu to be very competitive with other establishments price wise, the only difference being that they did not offer a "two for" dinner special. But they do have daily specials on the menu.
We showed up without reservations every time, and despite being busy, the staff set up an extra table just for us while we waited in the bar area. The staff was always extremely friendly and eager to make us happy.
The atmosphere of the restaurant is quiet and romantic. A roaring fire greets you as you enter the building, and we were able to sit next to the fire, after completing our dinner, and enjoy our coffee there, despite not being hotel guests.
We did have some difficulty finding the place the first couple of times in the dark, but once we figured out the roads, we were able to locate it easily. There is a small driveway off of a narrow road that leads back past a high school, to the hotel/restaurant.
If you are in town for any length of time, I would heartily recommend coming here for dinner.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank geismom
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

Totally agree with JBT's recent review, there are some lovely places to eat now in and around Kirkcaldy and this place does not give value for money in comparison.

My husband and I always go somewhere local for lunch on a Saturday when our daughter is at her dancing lessons, precious time for a meal out just the two of us. This Saturday we chose the Dunnikier Hotel, and totally wish we hadn't, considering the bill came to about £20 more than we usually spend on lunch we left feeling hungry, and ripped off!

My husband had the scotch eggs to start with, and I must admit, this was the best dish of the meal. I had the salmon starter, which, even though was presented lovely, was totally tasteless. For mains we opted for the lamb tikka (me) and the steak pie (hubby) - neither had any flavour and the meat, in both dishes, was fatty and very stringy. We left most of both dishes, which, if you knew me, was a very unusual thing to do!

The service was very poor and no attention was paid to us at all really, and we had to ask for things like salt, cutlery etc. and the waitress didn't know anything about the few dishes we asked her about initially!

With many places in Kirkcaldy now doing set lunch menus, very reasonably priced, with much better quality food, and service, we will not be returning which is a shame as it's a lovely setting.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Kirkcaldy hotels

kirkcaldy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

Being a local businessman I try to spread my business around local restuarants, having visited the Dunnikier House Hotel for a family meal, the quality and portion size is not value for money, the management has not researched the quality of food that is available in Kirkcaldy this is why the place is normaly empty in comparison to other eating establishments, I would not recommend this place to anyone for something to eat. I will no longer be eating here after being a regular customer for years.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

I stayed here for the first time, in order to attend a family funeral. This is right by a park, and golf course, and handy for the Victoria Hospital and the Kirkcaldy Crematorium.
The hotel is a lovely old building, high ceilings, old features, big windows, fireplaces and beautiful wood panelling. My room was a single en-suite, with a really comfortable bed and a decent sized bath. The decor is not particularly modern or new, but it was cosy and clean.
The ground floor has a lot of charm, including an open fire in the reception area. The food in the bistro was great, just what I needed. Beautiful flavours and good quality ingredients. The breakfast likewise was perfect.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank BorisCatBristol
Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

As I'm a local, this review is of food, not accommodation. This is the fourth time I've had lunch here, and I can recommend the food. The menu offers an interesting choice, with a separate offer of daily specials. We chose to have two starters, and the food was beautifully presented and delicious - in fact the presentation was such a work of art that it was almost a pity to bite into the food! The food is in the medium price range for the area (e.g. most starters around £5.50, main courses from around £9.95), and it is worth the price. Service is friendly and efficient.
I was startled to see two dogs being led into the bar (although I did not see where they ended up - presumably some permitted area), but I believe that this is a dog-friendly hotel, perhaps a point to bear in mind.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChrisMcK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkcaldy
The Dean Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burntisland
The Woodside Hotel
The Woodside Hotel
#2 of 3 in Aberdour

Been to Dunnikier House Hotel? Share your experiences!