“Nice room, expensive breakfast”

Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Glenrothes
Reviewed August 21, 2014

All in all we were very happy with this hotel. If you can get a good rate we would certainly recommend.

Our room was lovely, we had one of the rooms in the Garden Suite area, huge room, with sofa, with massive windows overlooking the gardens. Nice bathroom. No faults on the room at all. If it was raining, it might not have been as convenient being in a separate building from the main hotel.

The gardens at the back of the hotel were really stunning looking and we enjoyed eating lunch out on the patio in the sun.

Worst point was the cost of breakfast. We had a room only rate and it was £12 for a cooked breakfast! Once 2 the two of us would have had breakfast, maybe some orange juice, tea & coffee it would have been coming close to £30. I have no idea why they charge this much, in this case they lost business because of it, as we just headed out and got breakfast elsewhere. On the other hand lunch - baked potato, coronation chicken and a beer was only about £8 all together. So for some reason, ok prices for lunch and not for breakfast!

We didn't try the pool or have dinner in the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
BalgeddieHouseHotel, General Manager at Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Thank you for offering your feedback on your recent stay here with us.

We always like to encourge guests to book Bed & Breakfast and the majority of people do. At the point of booking, we offer Room Only, Bed & Breakfast or Dinner, Bed & Breakfast rates.

We offer the same product to all guests whether or not they booked Bed & Breakfast or Room Only and we believe for a Full Cooked Scottish Breakfast and our self-service continental breakfast buffet on the basis that you might decide to have breakfast at the last minute, is a fair price.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope that you will come back and stay with us again in the future and take advantage of our gym and spa facilities which are included in all guests' room rates.

Alan Solley
GENERAL MANAGER

Reviewed August 16, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night with our little boy. Most Best Western Hotels are not family friendly but this one is. When we were checking in their was a bit of a mistake but rectified quickly but when she didn't mention about breakfast I questioned the Receptionist about it and she said it was not included in the cost. I booked through Hotels.com and I would not have paid £70.01 for room only so it was Hotels.com fault. But hotel was not prepared to offer us our breakfast at reduced or anything even though my husband is a Best Western member. So we were disappointed in this. But when we got up to our room it was lovely we had a Deluxe room with a view looking into the swimming pool. It was a huge room and because they knew we were taking a child they set up a single bed and their was still plenty of room. Lovely bathroom nice shower. We decided not to eat in the restaurant as it was late on and our toddler was getting impatient so we went to the local fish & chip takeaway, which we were impressed with and you get a decent sized portion too. Our radiator in our room didn't come on at any time even when we turned it up but the radiator in the bathroom was roasting. It is was just as well it wasn't a really cold day/night. We decided not to have breakfast in the hotel with the mix up the night before. So we went down to use the pool to keep our little one amused for awhile. We were trying to get him used to water and his new floatation vest and one old woman with a chip on her shoulder didn't move and at one point nearly swam into my little one. Also all of a sudden a heap of older woman appeared in the pool and just didn't move for anyone so we decided to leave which spoiled a good time with our little one but once we got back up to our room we discovered it was some sort of Aqua Aerobics for older woman. Surely when we signed in to go to the pool and get a swim nappy for our little one that the Leisure receptionist could have warned us about this class so we would know to avoid that time. It was a nightmare for me in the changing room as the woman wouldn't move and kept blocking the way when I tried to get to showers etc so it certainly spoiled it for me. I would come back to this hotel and hopefully with better weather so my son can run about in the gardens as it was raining when we there this time and we will book direct with Best Western. Also we will arrive earlier so we can go in the swimming pool with our little one when it is quieter as he is only allowed in until 8pm.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay here with us.

I have read through your feedback and have noted your comments especially regarding your check-in and your experience at the pool.

When booking through a third party website, your booking or any amendments to your booking are not in our control. We cannot change the rates which were set by that website upon check-in and all we could offer to you at this point would be to invite you to use our breakfast facilities the next morning and which you would have been chraged accordingly.

In relation to your comments regarding the pool, thank you for bringing this to our attention. I sincerley aloplogise for this inconvenience and will speak to the Spa Management Team and our receptionists to better advise our guests of any pool classes to other guests not attending in the future.

We hope to welcome you again soon in the not too distant future.

Alan Solley
GENERAL MANAGER

Reviewed August 10, 2014

I have stayed at Best Western Hotels before, some lovely, some average. I found this one average. The main building as you approach looks rather tired, with a modern bit added on to one side. Big car park. Reception in the modern bit with the "Spa" to the rear of that area. This is not a "Spa" that you would find luxurious to go to as a treat, it is just a swimming pool with sauna.
The entrance into the old part of the building is characterful with a large sweeping staircase up to the rooms. There is a modern styled dining room/restaurant with pleasant view over the lawns. The nature of the old part of the building is that there are small corridors going off at odd angles to various rooms. I had a very pleasant single room with a lovely newly decorated shower room. My companions room was outdated styling by comparison but adequate for their needs. Both rooms were very clean and had everything you would need.
I hadnt realised it was a dog friendly hotel and wouldnt have booked it had I known. To be fair, the dogs we saw there were very well behaved, sadly not the children of a family party there too. While the adults were dining, the children, one of whom could shriek for England and did so at any opportunity, were left to their own devices and despite my contacting reception to see if they could approach the parents, the children only quietened when I called out to them from my room window at 10.30pm to do so!
When I complained (not particularly strongly!) to a man who turned out to be the owner as we were leaving, he didnt make any apology for our disturbance at his hotel, but made excuse that the parents end up having a go at the management if they approach them! To my mind, you have a duty to assist ALL your guests, however awkward that might be.
Having just read the other reviews to the side, Im wondering if Im writing about the same hotel!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I stayed at the Balgeddie house hotel this week with my husband and we really enjoyed it. The room was extremely clean and the beds comfy. The food was great and the staff very helpful. I would highly recommend this place and will certainly go back.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joy P
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I needed somewhere to stay near to where I was due to go to a funeral. I had to bring my small dog as I couldn't get him into kennels at such short notice. Balgeddie House had no problems at all with my bringing him along. Really impressed with how relaxed they were about it. They will only put you into a standard room if you have a dog... But I was very impressed with the quality of the room. It's up on the second floor, and no stairs... But a good size room, with extremely comfy beds, and bathroom with bath and shower. I was able to have my breakfast brought up to my room for only a very small price. The hotel also has a spa etc attached which I didn't use. Great footpaths round about for walking the dog, and lovely gardens. All in all - one of the nicest places I've stayed with my dog. I would definitely could back, and recommend it - especially to dogs owners.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Stayed here on a work trip to T In The Park. Superb hotel, combines history, heritage & modern quality.

The breakfast out in the grounds was outstanding (we were really lucky with the weather!) With better sausages the brek would've been five-star.

The gym and the pool are good, the building is stunning and the staff were super friendly.

I would love to go back!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

The Balgeddie house hotel is a hidden away hotel - perfect to use as somewhere to explore the Fife area.

The staff here were excellent and really couldn't do enough for us - which really makes the hotel a great choice! The team were very attentive and offered help where they could with our 8 month old baby in tow. We had two family rooms in the new part of the hotel (with a lift for prams / disabled access) and a couple stayed in the older listed part of the hotel - but all a lovely standard and no part old or shabby at all. Comfortable rooms (huge beds!), good food, lovely swimming pool and grounds and it was very reasonably priced.

Overall we couldn't fault this place. Only thing I'd say to visitors is that you will need a car to get around the area but that's pretty much a given these days.

Would definitely recommend!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank KayW123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenrothes
Holiday Inn Express Glenrothes
#1 of 1 in Lundin Links
The Gilvenbank Hotel
The Gilvenbank Hotel
#8 of 9 in Glenrothes

Been to Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel? Share your experiences!