“Return to the Fettykill”
Review of The Fettykil Fox

The Fettykil Fox
Ranked #12 of 70 Restaurants in Glenrothes
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Fettykil Fox in Glenrothes is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
“Return to the Fettykill”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Ate at the Fettykill Fox last week after an absence of some years. Quite a change in decor since I was last there some seven years ago; perhaps trying to attract a more varied or up-market clientele. The surroundings were nice, our table beside the open fire was cosy and staff on hand were friendly. I am not sure I would eat there for something really special, but worth a visit if looking for somewhere pleasant to eat in the Glenrothes area.

• Visited February 2013

March, Cambridgshire
“Excellent once more!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have been going to the Fettykil on and off for the last 7 years, mainly when I visit with friends or when I come home to visit.

It has gone through phases of being really good and then not great!

Delighted that after my last visit such was not great, it is once again fantastic.

We pre-booked as we were having a small school reunion and we were welcomed by a friendly team. The menu is more a premium style, which I am not too sure suits its location next door to IHG budget hotel, but nonetheless it has something for everyone.

I would say that they need to watch the freshness of their food. My profiteroles were very stale, I took one bite and sent them back, however, the waiter was apologetic and did not charge for them.

I can see why others would criticise this place previously, but whether there has been investment into the team running the place or just an improvement in the team, it is much better than my last visit.

I will be back, as this is home for me, but please make sure it stays as good as it was this trip!

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“Just about what you expect from this kind of place”
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Not the kind of place you would go for a special night out but ok for quick pop in to eat & drink beware barmaid chucking you out just after 11:00

1 Thank Myra B
“Best steak this year.”
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I could be classed as regulars to this vintage inn, however this was the first time since xmas that we have had lunch. We were put off over the holiday period due to a rubbish dining experience there, drink orders were forgotten about, and we had long delays for poor food.

We decided to give them another a chance, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Firstly the meet and greet was prompt (usually this is non existant with customers waiting ages to be acknowledged.) and we were then shown to our table, given the menu's and our drinks order taken.

The menu is nicely varied, and some deals were available such as a roast for £7.95, or two courses for £10.95. We opted for 1 portion of beer battered mushrooms, and 2 rump steaks. My wife tested their flexibility and changed the order from steak cut chips to standard thin fries.

The starters came, a double order of mushrooms instead of a single, we rejected one and wondered if the bill would be correct....it was. The mushrooms are so crispy and they come with a delicious garlic mayo.....and a huge lettuce leaf...dont ask!

We then ordered a second glass of wine, again in the past, depending on who was on duty, was a lottery if it would come before the meal was finished. This time it came promptly, quickly followed by the steaks.

All I can say is YUM. I have had a few steaks recently which have been disappointingly thin and overcooked, but our rump steaks today were beautifully juicy, thick and perfectly rare. They were not the most tender steaks, but you get rump for the flavour.

Overall the meal came to £41 which included 1 starter, 2 steaks and 3 drinks. My faith has been restored

Scotland, United Kingdom
“Good Service and Atmosphere”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

There is not a big choice of good eating places in Glenrothes, if you don't want to go to a hotel. The Fettykil Fox is has a good selection of mostly standard dishes, with food well-priced, and drink priced perhaps rather higher than in other similar pub-restaurants. It's not the place to go for haute cuisine, but the food is tasty, served promptly, and service is attentive. It's always busy, which is a good sign that people like what's on offer. Decor is modern and attractive, and tables are not spaced too closely together.

• Visited February 2013