All reviewsfirst classdining roomslunch menuwedding receptionlovely hotelwedding breakfastfamily weddingwaiting staffvisited this hotelchristmas luncha wonderful staydunfermline areafrom start to finishroom was largecouldn't faulttown centretea and coffee
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We held our wedding reception here on 23rd April 2011 and it truly was the happiest day of our lives. A big part of that was down to the hotel and it's brilliant staff.

They could not have been more helpful both before and on the day, nothing was too much trouble for them. The co-owner Pamela, who also doubles as one of their wedding planners, was fantastic and her experience of organising weddings within the hotel really shows as she made a lot of suggestions in the run up to the reception that we didn't even think about. Lorna was also very helpful. Both made sure the day ran smoothly.

The grounds are beautiful, ideal for wedding photos. If the weather is too wet to go outside they have a lovely drawing room with an open fire where photos can be taken.

The rooms are of a very high standard - nice decor and spotlessly clean. The honeymoon suite we were provided was excellent.

The food is amazing - people told us beforehand that it had an excellent reputation as far as food was concerned and they were not wrong. All our guests told us how much they enjoyed the food. The buffet was substantial although we probably ordered too much as there was quite a bit left over. I think this was because people were full from the meal and didn't eat much at night.

We cannot recommend the Garvock highly enough. We definitely made the right choice in having our wedding reception here.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank GiliusThunderhead
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Recently Married Here!

Not only is the hotel beautiful and lovingly cared for but the staff are extrmely polite and helpful. I'd like to particularly thank Pam and Lorna for all their help in making our day special.

The food is top notch, grounds gorgeous and both staff and owners give the hotel a friendly and personal touch,

Highly recomend to others

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank RVT1984
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Attended son’s and daughter-in-law’s wedding at the Garvock. First class service, friendly and very helpful team of staff headed by the owner Pam who was a fount of helpful advice and suggestions when making arrangements. Lovely hotel and grounds and excellent food, a little oasis in the middle of Dunfermline.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bibi60
Reviewed May 17, 2011

The Garvock is a great place to stay. I travel up to Dunfermline quite often with work and this is definately the best hotel in the area (having stayed in most of them I do consider myself quite an expert!). Generally staying on my own I am always made to feel very welcome from the friendly staff. Its a small hotel with respectfully formal service but still makes guests feel as ease.
The rooms are extremely clean with beds that are just so comfortable. There are thick mattress toppers on the bed akin to the princess and the pea. A decent sized flat screen TV and DVD player, with reception holding a DVD library.
Now for the best bit, the food! it is simply delicious. As a vegetarian I get sick of the ubiquitous mushroom stroganoff on every menu, but at the Garvock there are always a couple of mouthwatering choices. Tasty spinach & ricotta dumplings tonight that melted in the mouth. Last time I stayed I had smoked halloumi cheese on a herby potato cake. Breakfast is equally good, with freshly cooked omelettes etc.
So if you stay here, don't even think of going elsewhere for dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for a double as they have quite a few twins
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2011

This was the first time other than a special occasion that I've eaten at Garvock House and I felt really badly let down. I tried to book for 12:30 but they could only offer 1:00p.m. onwards which I agreed to. I was taking a very old friend out for lunch and we arrived at 12:45. After about 5 minutes somone took our drinks order but by 1:25 there was still no sign of our order being taken. I was under pressure over time as I was travelling home after lunch so I asked the waitress in the bar and she told the maitre d' we stil hadn't had our order taken..... and he ignored her. Eventually we ordered and at 1:40 we were led into a dining room. As we were walking past we heard another couple complaining vociferously that they had booked a table for 1:00 as well and they still hadn't had their order taken. Apparently they had had a couple of larger parties booked in at 12:30 which had caused a delay - but why then did they let me book if they couldn't cope with the numbers. The room was cold and there was no-one else in it everybody else was in another room so there was no atmosphere at all. After about 10 minutes, we still hadn't been served anything other than water (would have liked a drink from the bar but we weren't asked) and Mr Angry and partner joined us in the room and they were served their food before us. The more you complain.....!! We did eventually get our meal which was Ok but nothing more. My roast rib of beef was well done although I asked for it rare as were the vegetables nd my friend's liver wasn't very tender. She disliked her apple crumble and left it and my mango creme brulee was heavy and lacked any flavour. I don't usually write reviews like this but I felt let down today and I hope the management at the hotel read this. Maybe not overbooking and asking the staff to smile and make the customers feel welcome would be a start. Lovely setting, beautiful building, promises a lot but failed to deliver today.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends