“A humbling experience”

Andrew Carnegie Birthplace Museum
Ranked #1 of 70 things to do in Dunfermline
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Come along and discover the original birthplace cottage of Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919). Find out how Andrew, born a weaver’s son in Dunfermline, emigrated to America and became the richest man in the world, and one of the most generous philanthropists of all time. The Memorial Hall adjoining the cottage tells the story of Andrew Carnegie’s lasting legacy which includes internationally renowned landmarks such as the Carnegie Hall in New York, the Peace Palace in The Hague, over 2,800 public libraries around the globe, Mount Wilson Observatory in California, and, of course, the Diplodocus carnegii dinosaur!
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I strayed in here one afternoon to use up an hour and ended up wishing I had the time to stay longer. Was very humbling to see the beginnings of a man who went on to become the worlds second richest man. Would recommend to anyone to visit.

1  Thank Pau1y
in 6 reviews
"interesting visit"
"couple of hours"

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Often overlooked, this is a great wee place to visit. Fascinating to see the actual cottage Carnegie lived in before going to America and lots of good stuff about his life. I took a friend from Philly (USA) to see it recently (I live in Edinburgh) and they treated her royally. Great for adults and kids and very inspiring.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stumbled into the Andrew Carnegie Birthplace Museum yesterday in some distress. I had been caught out in the sun, I hadn't had enough to eat and was shaky and short of breath. A lovely man called Ronnie took me in and calmed me down, gave me the best cup of tea I've ever had and made me eat until I felt better. All this whilst telling me about Andrew Carnegie, dealing with a steady stream of other visitors to the site and giving out refreshments. I just wanted to thank Ronnie for his warmth and kindness and for really helping me yesterday in my hour of need.

1  Thank splinters84
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Lovely, and not what we expected,better in fact. something for all ages and interests. Jonathan was a delight .