“Shoddy Customer Service”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I would love to write a review of the actual food but unfortunately I didn't get that far.
I actually went to purchase a gift voucher as I had heard some reasonable reviews of this place.
The people I was purchasing for are quite light eaters & would not have spent all the intended voucher in one go.
After purchasing at the bar I was reading the small print & asked if the voucher is £40 & they only spend £28 as an example do they get a credit towards the next purchase?
Short answer no, our policy is spend all the voucher in one go & no change.
Anybody think that's a good service charge?
I asked if there was any way round this as I did think of one myself i.e. split the vouchers in to 2 purchase of £20.
Unfortunately the staff member who served me couldn't come up with this option himself & would rather just shrug his shoulders & say that's our policy.
I asked if he would review his policy for the future but the response was "Why should I change policy for 1 customer out of 1000".
Here's the answer "Because you already have our money when we pay you for the voucher, don't be greedy or disrespectful to your future customers or you lose valuable income".
He also quoted that nobody else gave credit notes for a second visit from a voucher.
I can & did quote at least 1 place in the area that does this.
The Dutch Inn Skinflats.
There are plenty more that will do this for a customer,even a big chain like Harvester.
Please wake up & smell the coffee!
Your Chef is probably doing a great job only for his hard work to be undone by front of house snootiness.

18  Thank Bumper27

Reviewed December 22, 2013

My wife and I visited on Saturday 14th December for lunch. Our second visit after a very enjoyable meal during the summer. We entered the restaurant and not a member of staff in sight and the dining area was empty. We stood at the entrance for a minute then went into the bar area... still no staff in sight and only 2 tables occupied. Eventually a waitress appeared and we sat in the area next to the small bar.

Unfortunately we went for a 'lite bite' lunch but were told the sandwiches and baked potatoes were off the menu as it was changing. So we only had the festive lunch menu and the standard starters, main and desserts menu to choose from. So we had no choice but to opt for a main (burger and chips and fish and chips.) then we waited and waited and waited. Sadly it took 40 minutes for the kitchen to produce our meals. Considering there were only 2 other tables occupied (table of 4 and table of 3) when we ordered this is VERY slow. Had the place been full 40 minutes would have been acceptable.

When it did arrive though it was excellent. The burger was cooked to the temperature I wanted (not many places ask you want your burger cooked) and my wife's fish had lovely crisp and light batter.

The waitress was very friendly and polite and seemed to be covering the bar as well as serving food/taking orders.

We will visit the Inn again for a meal as they could have just been having a bad day. If our next experience is the same, sadly, we wont be coming back.

5  Thank Gordon R
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Have previously eaten here, and not sure if it has now changed hands, but a MASSIVE improvement.
Food portions were amazing! I chose from the Festive Menu and the quality of the turkey was fantastic and cooked 'just right'. My fellow diners chose from the regular menu and their portion sizes were also huge. The food was incredibly tasty and we will definitely be back.
The staff were friendly and service was prompt (despite it being very busy). Lovely and clean, and a real treat to find it again. Well done, Carnock Inn!

2  Thank do_the_fandango
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The inn is very nice inside and the food was excellent only problem was there was too much. We had the fish and chips which was delicious but would have been happy to pay the same price for a slightly smaller portion. The apple pie and custard wasn't the best. The young waitress was very nice and attentive. Would definitely recommend and will be back.

1  Thank Val M
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Excellent food, very large portions,next time I,d miss out the starter,main meal was enough, staff very friendly, would go back and certainly would definitely recommend

1  Thank ali_bali43