“Tearoom Experience”
Review of Callendar House

Callendar House
Ranked #3 of 38 things to do in Falkirk
More attraction details
Owner description: For 6 centuries, through wars, rebellions and the industrial revolution, Callendar House has played host to many great historical figures: Mary, Queen of Scots, Cromwell and Bonnie Prince Charlie.Costumed interpreters bring history to life: sample authentic Georgian food, listen to stories about life below stairs, and watch the kitchen staff go about their daily tasks. Wed-Sun: 10am-5pm Closed Tuesday
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We visited the tearoom on Saturday 2 August during a particularly fierce 'monsoon'. The service was excellent, the staff were very friendly and approachable and the tables were clean and tidy. Yes there was a table that needed clearing when we arrived, but there were plenty of others that we could use. The lunch of tea, sandwiches and scones was lovely - enough in the pots for 3 cups which was just what we needed on a grim afternoon. Never mind what is on the wall, look outside at the scenery! Where else can you enjoy a meal and gaze at such beauty. We loved our trip, enjoyed the house and the exhibitions and welcomed the free parking. thank you.

1  Thank Pam B

Reviewed August 6, 2014

What a shame and a waste of time our visit to this beautiful house was today. I will start with the positive. The grounds are beautiful and the house itself is lovely. That was about it. We went especially to visit the tearoom as my mother and I enjoy eating in new places and trying out little tearooms and cafes. We took a seat and decided what we wanted and i went up to the till to order. The middle aged woman who was serving snapped at me and said i was to go back to my seat and wait for her to come and take the order! I found this a little odd as there were people going up and placing orders after me? We waited for around 15 minutes for her to come but she just ignored us. She instead cleaned tables, took other peoples orders who came upto the till and just generally looked so uninterested. We got up to leave and only then did she rush over to take our order - without any apologies. We ordered and she then came back to tell us the cake was gone that we selected. It was there when we had originally gone to order and told to sit back down. The whole organisation was a mess and they really need some proper staff who know customer service and how to run a tea room with 6 tables! We got up to leave for good this time and the staff member just came back, said a quick sorry and walked off! Not even bothered to lose custom.

What a shame that this lets the house down so much. You would think they would strive on trying to make as much money as possible in the tea room but they obviously care little about it. I will not be back and i will make sure to tell my friends and family to avoid the tea room at all costs. We made a quick exit and went to Marks and Spencers in the centre for a lovely cake and coffee and with excellent staff who cared.

Seems i am not the only one disgusted with the tea room as i see other reviews mention it the lack of service too.

5  Thank LJF_90
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I visit Callendar House and park on a regular basis and I can find no fault with the house, park or woods which are all lovely. Unfortunately the tearoom is really disappointing. Sometimes the staff are helpful and pleasant and other times they are just plain rude. The tables always have dirty cups ect when you take a seat. This is proably because they have been busy and there is not enough staff to cope. You can wait ages to be served and if you comment to the staff they are not pleased. Please will the management sort this staffing issue out so that there is consistency in the service.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

Great park and house (with a rather dated Tea Room)... But why throw in a politically motivated Friendship Wall right in the middle of it? Terrible idea which stops me from coming back again.

5  Thank Elad73
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

They have a 'friendship wall' there, which has a message which couldn't be further from being friendly: a picture of the security wall at the West Bank, with the writing 'Apartheid Wall'... Not only had that wall prevented scores of suicide bombings, it is hardly the space for political statements of any kind. Shame on you.

2  Thank ZDotan