“excellent meal”
Review of Iris

Iris
Reserve with OpenTable
Iris is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #107 of 2,483 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Description: Tucked away on Thistle Street, Iris has been a welcome addition to the Edinburgh restaurant scene. This chic little bistro - with its designer wallpaper, banquette seating and rough stone walls – has an intimate, cosmopolitan vibe, and is popular with a discreet and sophisticated creative crowd. The modern European menu is guaranteed to impress, we love the roast duck breast with fresh raspberries and Drambuie; chicken supreme stuffed with langoustines served with a garlic and herb buerre blanc; and the roasted quail with spicy potatoes served with an orange and rocket salad. Ideal for stylish working lunches, and informal evening meals, Iris also has an extensive wine list with up to 17 bottles for under £20.
Watford, United Kingdom
“excellent meal”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

On first visit to Edinburgh Thistle street has been recommended to us as a good place for restaurants and after looking at a few other places we decided to go to Iris. My partner and I are so glad we did. Both of us had starters and mains and my partner had a dessert and we could not fault any part of the meal. Despite having only one waitress on duty service was great with always a friendly word and a smile.

Would definitely go back here and would highly recommend to anyone.

• Visited November 2013

scotland
“Great food. Service just needed improved slightly for a 5* review”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in here for a spot of lunch. I had never noticed the place before perhaps due to the fairly sombre exterior. Inside though the decor is very nice indeed.

We had a starter and a main each, with a glass of wine and a bottle of beer. The bill came to about £60. All of the food was beautifully prepared, presented and cooked, and everything was delicious. No complaints about the food at all.

And in general the service was pretty good too, just a few wee things that stop me giving it a 5* given the cost. One was not being told that the mains did not come with any vegetables at the time we were ordering. The other was not being brought our jackets when we were leaving and having to stand and wait until we could catch someone attention. Just minor things, and if I could have given 4.5* then I would have.

Scotland
“A little gem”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We visited for lunch on Saturday. The fixed price lunch menu is excellent - a good choice and excellent value. The service was good, despite there only being two on duty and the place was busy. The lady told me they served the fixed price lunch menu all day until 6.30pm which is really good. To sum it up - good atmosphere, good food and attentive service. We will definitely be returning - a good find.

• Visited November 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A nice restaurant spoilt by bad service and a dismissive attitude to customers”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Last Friday I took my family to a restaurant I have enjoyed twice before. I am disappointed to say our evening was ruined by bad service and a dismissive attitude to customers.

All went well till we ordered our desserts (Chocolate beetroot cake and two frangipanes from the special menu (which the waitress forgot to bring, but we remembered from earlier), with two amarettos to go with them.

After a pause only one dessert arrived, followed about five minutes later by two amarettos loaded with unwanted ice which we had to fish out. Another ten mimutes passed before we could catch anyone's eye to ask for the other two desserts, by which time my daughter, doing her best to slowly and politely nibble at hers, had almost finished. A computer error was blamed. We were asked if we still wanted ours and told they would put a rush on them.

Fifteen minutes later no desserts, and no staff attention whatsoever. Conversation had died at our table and a pleasant evening eveporated.We asked for our coats.

The amarettos were removed from our bill.

I did not think this was an adequate response, given the impact on our evening and asked to speak to the owner. He was dismissive of our complaint, took the view that we should pay for what we had eaten and refused to take even my daughters dessert of the menu.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank 323smc
edinburgh
“amazing service”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Came here for a friends birthday lunch and every one of us mentioned the excellent food we had. We all have very different tastes but all found something to suit. I had the mussels in lovely fragrant sauce and the pork belly for my main which was delicious. The wine was reasonable priced too but the best part were the lovely staff there. Im sure we must have been a bit annoying too much gossip ing and not enough looking at the menu but the staff were lovely and very patient. Thank you . You all made it a lovely afternoon.

• Visited October 2013