“Anniversary Dinner - Wonderful”

Mussel and Steak Bar
Ranked #152 of 2,590 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

This was my second visit to the Mussel and Steak Bar; we were celebrating our 7th wedding anniversary. My husband is a chef so it is tricky choosing a restaurant because he spends his life in kitchens and often wants to steer well clear on his nights off.

I absolutely love the restaurant, the food is superb. They have tapped into a perfect market, the menu is simple and lovely. Even though we were dining without our children tonight, I noticed that the children's menu is a delight.

I recommend the Surf and Turf, although I would skip having a starter as the portion size is very generous.

For the record, my husband says his steak was one of the best he has ever had. And I converted him to enjoying an espresso martini at the end!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were looking for a restaurant to have dinner on a crowded saturday night during the fringe festival, this restaurant was completely full but we decided to wait for a place outside. We were lucky that a couple of tables got free within 20 minutes. The meal was great we all had the rump steak which was one of the best I ever had except for my hubby who had the mussels also superb.
The waiter, a local guy with blue eyes was very friendly and very helpful, we also had the view on the fireworks coming probably from the castle while we were eating. What can you ask more? Is a shame Edinburgh is not close to London :(

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We visited Aug Bank Holiday for lunch (actually it wasn't BH in Scotland). Staff were friendly, foods were good, set menu was quite reasonable.

My seafood curry was too salty but had lots of mussels & rice was tasty. Mussel & steak were both good. I loved their kids' menu as it was just smaller portion of adult menu. I loved it as kids can enjoy proper food and not fish fingers & pizza. Soup & bread for £1 is just fab!

Nothing wrong with the place, it is a good restaurant, but not exceptional. Now-sadly-closed Creelers, just off Royal Mile, was better.

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Had the special lunch menu. Could only manage 2 courses was so full! Amazing quality and value. Lovely food, the starters are amazing. Top notch highly recommend.

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Visited with my hubby, our friend and our 4 yr old son.
Menu choice excellent and great value for money. Kids menu was the same.
We had fixed lunch menu and all were happy with selection. Staff very friendly and great with kids which is important to me.
Quick service, my hubby had seafood curry and his only criticism was they should have took out muscles from shells, less sauce and smaller portion. It tasted great though.
We will all defo be back. Thank you.