“Extremely Disappointing”

Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Reviewed December 2, 2012

On arriving at cafe royal yesterday for a much anticipated Christmas outing I was shocked at the customer service offered by your manager. My friend ordered two glasses of prosecco in the bar which were poured from an open bottle. They were completely flat and when my friend mentioned this was told it was not champagne and therefore was not fizzy. He refused to open another bottle and asked her to choose an alternative!!! This was the manager so my level of customer service was immediately heightened as he sets the example for the establishment.
The lunch was adequate, after we asked if there was a Christmas menu and as the table next to us had crackers etc it would seem that the festive spirit was not extended to us. The two waitresses were adequate but service was slow with us having to ask for wine, water and eventually yell to order coffee. No offer of additional wine was offered and everything had to be asked for. The food was lovely and the portion size great but the lack of customer service was disappointing, and the attitude of the manager explained how this happens. I won't be back.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Royal

Reviewed December 1, 2012

There are two options for dining at the Cafe Royal. The bar meals side and the restaurant. We booked the restaurant as the bar side was extremely busy over the weekend we visited so a reservation in the restaurant was the only way to get a seat in the evening.

The offering is heavily sea food but there are other things to temp a diner. I tried the venison as my main course and it was really nice. Oysters in different styles, muscles, smoked salmon, cullen skink were all tried by our party and very much enjoyed. Vegetables had to be ordered seperately with the main dishes which I thought was a little penny pinching but overall the service and the food was outstanding.

We did have a problem paying as the credit card machine system failed. This meant one of us going out in the rain to get money from a nearby cash machine. It would have better if the staff could offer a manual credit card service for any future loss of service.

This is a place to try if you are visiting Edinburgh. They do have some great cask ales on offer and these are available in the restaurant if you don't fancy wine with your meal.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Children not allowed in the bar which is a shame as we were then directed into a more formal restaurant/dining room - we would have been more comfortable with kids in the busy, noisy bar area to be honest. But stafff were very welcoming and accomodating - we could order bar food in the restaurant. Food was fantastic - even sandwiches were lovely and we were glad we stayed and weren't put off by slighty stuffy atmosphere.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Have eaten here a lot but this is my first review. Lovely atmospheric pub, great decor and wonderfully helpful and amusing staff.
We were in for a late lunch and although we had to wait a while for our food when I did come it was Worth the wait. I had sea bass with a salmon, Mussels and crab risotto and my Mum had mussels and chips. We were given complimentary tea n coffee after the lunch because we had waited a while, while waiting we were amply entertained by our waiter!
It gets very busy here especially at the end of the working day but if you get in and can get a table in the bar it will be worth it. Great selection of real ales too. Never eaten in the posher bit next door but it looks lovely.

1  Thank Jill500
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Yesterday myself (I am a South African lady) and my partner (a Scottish Chef) had the misfortune of coming to The Cafe Royal. We received shocking service and had a very unpleasant experience. I ordered 6 natural oysters and upon receival noticed that they were not very fresh. They had a off-white/ yellow thick sticky liquid which I know means that they are either old or dead, they did not smell very pleasant either- my partner checked and confirmed as he deals with oysters on a daily basis at his restaurant. I told the waiter that they are perhaps not fresh and that I would not risk another plate. he took the oysters to the kitchen and then returned them after a while back to me saying that the chef said that these where Scottish oysters and meant to be like that. I am South African by origin and I have an accent BUT I have been in this country long enough and have had oysters here on numerous occasions, never have they looked like this! I proceeded to say that I would not like them and will not take the risk of being ill- he then told me that either way I would have to pay for them no matter what I thought! I paid for them in shock only to be approached by a lovely waitress who apologized on behalf of her colleague and chef and returned my money. I find this absolutely shocking service to be told that even though the food was bad I would have to pay for it anyway, and to say that it is Scottish oysters after hearing I am a foreigner is even worse of an excuse!

2  Thank AlexB2012186525