“Beautiful food, awesome staff”
Review of Kismot

Kismot
Ranked #60 of 2,528 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Description: Wee Family run Indian and Bangladeshi restaurant.Mum and Dad cooking with the kids at the front of house.Bring your own bottle (no corkage charge, wine and beer only)Food cooked and served with alot of love and affection.Try our mums homestyle cooking chicken and lamb on the bone (what we have for dinner at home !) Dont forget the chocolate nan bread and other dishe's only available at our place my friends ! ! ! :)Open every day 4.30pm to 11.30pm
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful food, awesome staff”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

First night in Edinburgh after traveling in the Highlands for a week, we were craving Indian food, we food this place on Trip Advisor, saw that it was Indian/Bengali cuisine, and we were sold!
We loved the fact that it is a family business, and could see our waiter's folks cooking in the kitchen. Our waiter was this funny Bengali guy who was wearing a kilt and was very helpful. We trusted his expert opinion and pretty much let him order for us! Everything was delicious, and very fresh. I would totally recommend this place, not only for the food, but also for the ambiance.

1 Thank DC20001
akbar a, The not so skinny brother! :) at Kismot, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Hello there!

I remember you both! you were both a wonderfully friendly couple to have round a real pleasure to serve.

Pleased to hear you loved the fact we are a real family business, we know of some places that say they are and really not, but here you can even say hello to my mum and dad doing all the cooking in the kitchen.

Really pleased to hear that you enjoyed my jokes and my kilt too, thanks for having the faith in my ordering, as you could see I've had a few of my mum and dads curries in my time.

Before I forget thats some cracking photo's I dont remember showing so much leg :)

All the best and hope you enjoy Edinburgh and have a safe journey home.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly enjoyable”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Party of 7 golfers went for a curry as we'd been there two years earlier, pleased to say its still the same. Not fine dining, but they dont claim to be, just really good tasting food served in comfortable surroundings, which is good value, excellent banter with the big guy front of house. Till the next trip, keep the good work up and i hope we contributed to the '' merc with the panoramic roof ''

1 Thank david t
Hello there!

I remember you all, great bunch of gentleman, really nice to see you all after 2 years!

Great to see that it was good as you left it after such while, yes spot on we don't claim to be fine dining just good food cooked by my mum and dad and served with a wee bit of banter.

Glad it was all good and yes you have contributed to the merc with the panoramic roof, look forward to seeing you in a couple of years time!

All the best

San Francisco, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“San Francisco Vindaloos”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

A friend and I were in Edinburgh during festival season and were really hoping for some great curry while we were in town. We looked for Indian restaurants close to our hotel and saw that Kismot was well reviewed on Yelp (sorry TripAdvisor, Yelp is more popular in the US!).

My friend and I both love Indian food. We love spicy Indian food. Just walking into this place, we knew we were in the right spot. As others have mentioned, it's BYOB and they are very accommodating. It was a 30 min wait (we didn't have reservations) which gave us plenty of time to get to a package store to pick up some things.

We started with some popadom and got some naga pickle to spread on top. This stuff is incredible! Amazing heat, great flavor, perfect kickoff to the rest of the meal. Thankfully we also got some cucumber raita to cool things off a bit. The garam massallam (chicken) was great, but my favorite was the lamb vindaloo. I could have licked this plate, it was perfect!

We explored other parts of Scotland on our trip and headed back to Edinburgh late on our final night before heading back to the states. We HAD to get to Kismot again. We walked in almost as they were about to close... 30 minutes until the doors would be shut. Somehow they remembered us from a few nights before and gave us a welcoming but urgent instruction.. "order right now, and you can stay, no appetizers, let's go!"

I may have danced a jig. We basically just ordered the exact same set of dishes we had a few days prior. Again, the food was incredible, the service was fast and knowledgable and the restaurant was welcoming to couples, locals and groups alike.

If I make it back to Edinburgh, this is the first place I'll stop. Next time... the Kismot killer!

1 Thank briandoll
akbar a, The not so skinny brother! :) at Kismot, responded to this review, September 9, 2013

I rememeber you both!

You were both just such nice guys to have round and a reall pleasure to talk too

Really happy to hear you loved the spicy dish's that my mum and dad worked tirelessy in the kitchen to cook, great to read you felt the love as soon as you walked in, glad you were cool about waiting for 30 mins and came back with some alchohol.

It was great seeing you again a few days later but we were knackered after such a busy night and were happy to serve you again as long as we could get home at a sensible time, thanks for the co-operation :)

Look forward to seeing you agian, next time try the Naga! !

All the best my guys hope you had a great time in Scotland.

Akbar
“Best curry meat ever had & very friendly service”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We ordered a chicken dish & a lamb dish. We love them both. The meat was cooked so tender! The marshmallow man was a huge hit with my 5 and 8 years old. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

2 Thank Peng W
Hello there!

Thank you so much for your kind review.

I remember you and your nice family you sat in the corner table next to the window, you were such a nice family to have round, really friendly.

Really happy to hear that you enjoyed my mum and dads cooking so much and you children enjoyed my wee brothers creation of marshmallow nan too, you dont need to be 5 or 8 to enjoy it trust me, I've seen grown ups turn into kids as soon as they eat it :)

Hope to see you again next time your in Edinburgh

“Will be back”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We tried to get a table a few nights ago. We were turned away as the place was packed. Book in advance to avoid disappointment. Great service and food was nice. Be warned that hot means hot, so if you arent sure about spice then ask when ordering! My husband had the jalfrzei and it was eye watering! The news articles in the window should put you off trying any brave moves with kismot challenge! We did bring your own bottle as they don't serve alcohol which was a bit different. Overall would recommend that you give it a go as you wont be disappointed. Mums curry was amazing and something a bit different! Well done - loved it being a nice family run business :)

1 Thank Missy77s
Hello there!

Thank you for your kind review.

Really pleased you came to try us as we could'nt fit you in before.

Happy to hear that the service was so good and you found my mums deshi khan so good, its easily our most popular dish and is real home made bangladeshi cooking and our dinner.

Ah your right our jahlfrezie has a good kick to it and its hard to gauge new customers taste buds as everyone is so diffrent but now we know, next time you come in we can work out a heat so we can make a curry hotter or milder based on your previouse jahlfriezie so dont be shy just ask us when ordering.

Ah your right we dont sell alchohol due to religious reasons but do allow you to bring your own, this way everyone is happy.

Thank you again for your kind words and look forward to seeing you both next time your in.