“Great! Excited to return!”
Review of Kismot

Kismot
Ranked #58 of 2,595 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Description: Wee Family run Indian and Bangladeshi restaurant.Mum and Dad cooking with the kids at the front of house.Bring your own bottle (no corkage charge, wine and beer only)Food cooked and served with alot of love and affection.Try our mums homestyle cooking chicken and lamb on the bone (what we have for dinner at home !) Dont forget the chocolate nan bread and other dishe's only available at our place my friends ! ! ! :)Open every day 4.30pm to 11.30pm
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Went recently with some friends, Akbar the waiter was really friendly and gave us some great tips on what to try. I had the marshmallow naan with a veggie haggis Irn Bruna, sounds strange but was great, so excited to find a place that does veggie haggis in their curries and the naan was awesome!
My friends all really enjoyed their curries, and everything on the menu looked so good I wanted to try it all so will be back!

Thank you!

2  Thank greenmeme
akbar a, The not so skinny brother :) ! at Kismot, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Hello there !

I remember you and your friends from Perth, you were all so pleasant to have a chat with.

We do have some really fun ideas with food from Chocolate curry to the Kismot Killer my wee brother love to try new things and some really take off and are put on the menu.

So pleased to read that you enjoyed my mum and dads cooking so much and that you found our family freindly service to you liking too.

Look forward to seeing you next time your down from Perth my friend

Thank you for your kind review.

Akbar

Write a ReviewReviews (2,122)

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We're from the west of Ireland and on a recent trip to Edinburgh visited Kismot on the back of many good reviews from friends. We were not disappointed! With a small blizzard outside, the staff were not long warming us with their friendliness... then came the delicious food. We were really impressed, especially with the Cadbury's chocolate nan bread. It was the best value meal we had on our trip and the quality of food was exceptional. Great night!

2  Thank PadraigV
akbar a, The not so skinny brother ! :) at Kismot, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Hello there !

I remember you and your friends,

I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed my mum and dads cooking so much, as you had come through the small blizzard that night.

It was a pleasure to have chatted to you and welcomed you all round to our wee family business.

Ah the Chocolate Nan bread thats my wee brothers idea and is really yummy !

Thank you for your kind review.

Hope you got home safe.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We live and work in Edinburgh and after reading the positive reviews on Trip Advisor we decided to go along to see what all the fuss was about and we weren't disappointed! From the moment we walked through the door we were made to feel welcome and we had probably the friendliest waiter in the world. He was really chatty and even gave us a complimentary sauce which he thought that we would enjoy. Akbar is a real credit to the place and is probably a large part of the reason why this restaurant is so popular. Don't get us wrong though the food is also delicious! We would definitely go back and will recommend this place to all of our friends and also to the tourists that we work with on a daily basis. From the girls who forgot their umbrellas in the storm :)

1  Thank Emily W
akbar a, The not so skinny Brother ! :) at Kismot, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

I remember you both !

What a night that was you came in.

Thank you so much for such a kind review, it was a pleasure to have you both round,

Really pleased to hear that you enjoyed my mum and dads cooking so much, they as much as I love what we do and I'm really glad it showed in the food and service you recieved.

Look forward to seeing you both in the future.

Many thanks

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I came into Kismot a few days ago and felt very bad when I reached into my pocket to provide a tip at the end of the bill and realised I didn't have any cash on me (we paid with card). I usually tip as standard in restaurants without thinking, but I consciously wanted to tip at this restaurant because the service was excellent and the food equally so. I promised the waiter I would write a review of the restaurant to make up for my lack of monetary provision! So here goes...

I had a lentil based curry, which tasted great. It was exactly what I was looking for. My girlfriend had a kurma, which is quite a standard dish these days, but I tried it and thought the flavours were well above par and better than a normal korma.

Overall, we had a great experience at Kismot, I've been before, and I'll be back!

1  Thank Kieran F
akbar a, The not so skinny brother :) at Kismot, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Hello there !

I remember you and your girlfriend, you sat opposite the bar.

Please dont worry about not tipping for good service, we actually have on the bottom of our bill that "we dont have a service charge, just a smile will do !"

We just enjoy being there as a family and try to treat people the way we would like to be treated just a with a wee bit of love and affection :)

I think you had a Chicken Tikka Dansak which was lentil and pinapple based dish and the Classic Chicken Kurma really happy to hear that you enjoyed my mum and dads cooking so much and found it so good that you will come back.

Look forward to seeing you both again in the future.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We're from the US and have lived in Edinburgh for a year and a half. We had passed by Kismot a few times, but had never tried it. I am sorry it took us so long before we ate there for the first time. The food was delicious and the service was fabulous! The waiter made sure we felt comfortable, especially after we told him it was our first time there and his recommendations for food were excellent. The portions were big, like he said, so we had more than enough to eat with even some left over to take home. Mum and dad's cooking is wonderful. We will definitely be back. Thoroughly recommend.

1  Thank dgessner
akbar a, The not so skinny Brother ! :) at Kismot, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Hello there !

I remember you both, I had such a nice time chatting you and your husband.

Really happy to hear that enjoyed my mum and dads cooking so much and felt so comfortable with our own take on family friendly service. we all love what we do and pleased to read it showed on your visit !.

Glad to see our portions are too your liking too and look forward to seeing you both soon.