“A little gem.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Armadillo Guest House

The Armadillo Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Armadillo Guest House
Ranked #219 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“A little gem.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

What a fantastic guesthouse, we stayed here for 2 nights during the festival. Excellent location, ten mins walk from main city centre. Our room was lovely and spacious, bed slightly bigger than your average double en suite, good hot shower and fluffy towels. Tea, coffee making facilities and greeted by an attentive proprietor. Trish could not have been more helpful,giving us maps and pointing us in right direction. Breakfast was ordered day before cooked breakfast option plus cereal and toast. Check in 3pm check out 9 '45 am. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank mummy_7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Colombo, Sri Lanka
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We booked in and were given three rooms on three floors. Two did not have attached toilets. Only one top floor room had an attached toilet. Other rooms had to share the toilet with other guests occupying rooms on the same floor. No free parking. Was directed to a friends garage who charged 10 quid for parking overnight as owner said that parking in front of the premises will not be safe...but found that a lot of vehicles were parked on the road & was free overnight. We were misdirected by the owner herself. Checkout time is 9.45am which is by far too early.
Location was good as it walking distance to tourist sites.
The door bell disturbs every guest right throughout the night as late night visitors have to ring the bell to get in. There was loud talking on the lobby whenever a new guest arrived.
I felt the owner ran the place like school principal !!!! & was very nosy.
Bed linen was not very pleasing to the eye.
Try to avoid this place.

Room Tip: Insist for a room with attached toilet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank acmemc
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed in the Armadillo with my wife for a couple of nights and found it to be a great base to explore Edinburgh.

The rooms were nice and very clean. The breakfast was amazing and set us up for the day.

The owner Trish was very friendly and happy to give us tips on places to go and things to do.

We would definitely recommend the Armadillo and would love stay there again on our next trip to Edinburgh.

• Stayed March 2013
Bryan, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I flew from Texas to join my Professor friend from Salzburg and his conversational English class for the 2012 Edinburgh Castle Royal Military Tattoo in early September. Trish is a wonderful owner, manager and hostess. It is a very clean facility, the breakfasts are wonderful, and it was very quiet at night. We walked lots of times between the guest house and various venues all over Edinburgh. If you are going to the annual military tattoo, or if you're going simply to visit Edinburgh, this is a great location to stay, and the cost is reasonable. You'll be treated with respect and courtesy. There is a wonderful traditional Scottish pub about two blocks up the street toward town that we frequented in the evenings, and it was very friendly and cozy for our group. There are several guest houses along Gilmore, but The Armadillo is where I'll stay the next time I visit Edinburgh.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mike C
Athens, Greece
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was visiting Edinburgh on a business trip last November. I had stayed for 3 nights in a pretty good B&B on Minto Street before the landlady told me I had to leave. I was ok with that and called the Armadillo. On the phone I immediately sensed I would have problems since the person I spoke to sounded rude when I asked about what was included in the price. In any case, I decided to give it a go, and checked in on a Friday morning. What I didn't expect was the poor quality of the room, it was both old and cold. But the worst thing was how rude and unhelpful the landlady was. I spoke to some other guests I met and they were also shocked. One Asian guest told me he thought this B&B was terrible. There's no service here, he said further. I couldn't agree more. As a result of this dreadful experience, I left the same day in the late afternoon. No way I would have stayed the night. Fortunately I got my money back. Shouldn't people in this business be regulated? I'm happy to provide a review! I will never recommend this B&B to colleagues or friends of mine.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Snorri R
Aldershot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was on a conference so it was close to the conference centre I also spent some leave to visit attractions in Edinburgh and this guesthouse is close to almost everything. I found the guest house, clean, warm and friendly. Trish the owner made he feel at home. I had a bedroom overlooking the back which was peaceful. My bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was close by and spotless. Breakfast was very good and I liked having to book what I wanted in advance so you got your food quickly and hot. I would certainly got back again. I can understand why people come back there Excellent value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Memmingen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I love this convenient accommodation, there´s no redundant luxury but such a homely atmosphere which you won't find in Edinburgh again. The owner Trish is very friendly and courteous. If you have questions or need a Taxi you can always talk to her, great :-) !
Breakfest is very good and rooms are clean with nice facilities. Distance to Grasmarket / Princes street is ca. 5 minutes (walk). So i think for this good price you will not find a better accomodation!It was my 3rd stay there and i will come again :-)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends