“Sort it out Chef!”

North Bridge Brasserie
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: North Bridge Brasserie is a fusion of grand Victorian architecture, dramatic interiors and contemporary styling.Built over 100 years ago, the building was the former offices of The Scotsman newspaper. The restaurant has been cleverly converted from the newspaper's old reception hall where traders and merchants would buy copies of the newspaper, or place their local advertising.Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart serves modern Scottish cuisine with seasonal menus focusing on ingredients of the highest quality. Using local produce and suppliers Paul showcases Scotland's abundant larder.Signature dishes include:Scotsman style 'Haggis, Neeps and Tatties' with a Glenfiddich single malt whisky jellyRare breed rump of pork, orzo and stilton risotto, granny smith apple and cracklingHot chocolate mousse with toasted marshmallow ice cream and crunchy milk rocks
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Everytime we come to Edinburgh we come to eat here,well I am sorry to say that was the last time.
When you walk into a restaurant and you see that they are not using the open kitchen anymore the bells start ringing!you know it has been melted into the main hotel kitchen and that's when it starts going wrong.
The starters were average they lacked love.
Me and my wife always order the steaks but I have to say even they were boring.
I always have my steak blue,but came over cooked and chef turn that grill down it leaves a bitter taste on the steaks when it's so hot, and what is it about serving meat on a piece of old wood that's so old school "use a plate".
Moving on to dessert we had this chocolate thing in a cup it was like somebody just opened a tin and slopped it into the cup with no imagination.
As for the service well not bad but huge room for improvement.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Very stylish and classy restaurant, but not stuffy. Staff were very attentive but not obtrusive. Food was beautifully presented and tasty, not big portions but enough! It is a great venue to catch up with friends, especially as not too noisy! Will definitely be going back soon - very impressed!

Reviewed December 18, 2013

My husband and I visited here a couple of days ago and I'll start with the positives, the staff were great and the dessert of sticky toffee pudding was very nice, unfortunately that's where the positives end. My starter of gnocci was the most boring and flavourless plate of food I had ever had and my husbands starter wasn't very good either. Main meals..... I had the vegetarian tart which comes in second to the most boring and flavourless plate of food, very dry, celeriac was really bitter, it could do with either a sauce or even a salad would have made the dish more palatable, on the plus side the candied walnuts were pretty good but who can't do candied walnuts? My husband had trout which was a tiny portion and not a great flavour combo......... Chef please take note..... too much style over substance does not make for contented diners who wish to return.

Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

This is our 3rd visit and we are never disappointed. Beautiful setting in the heart of the city, the staff are enthusiastic and attentive.
When it comes to food, it is first class.
This visit we both had Orkney scallops to start, I had the slow roast leg of duck as main while my partner had steak with an Auld Reekie sauce.
My duck was like nothing I'd have before, glided off the bone and simply melted in my mouth. My boyfriends steak can be summed up by his statement when he'd finished his last piece "I am devastated that's over!"
Pudding is a must, please PLEASE have the wam chocolate mousse. I'm not going to describe it fully, it is what I'd class as heaven in a cup, exquisite! My partner had something with lemon and homemade mini dough nuts, apparently they were awesome but I couldn't hear him clearly over my spoon scraping every last morsel from my own desert and let's face it, who cares, I had HEAVEN IN A CUP! :)
Along with this we had a lovely glass of prosecco and 2 bottles of very nice, mid-range price white wine (a Pinot G followed by a Sauvi B) and a bottle of still water.
Came in at £175 which when you have this quality of service and world class food at your bidding, is happily paid and booked again for our next visit.
I've seen negative things on here about portion sizes versus cost? Rubbish, we both have huge appetites and have felt nothing but satisfied every time.
Obviously it's not a bar supper with 2 meals for £8, appreciate the quality of produce, the way it's put together (even if you don't like a couple of the ingredients in a dish you fancy on the menu, have it anyway, the way they put flavours together on the plate is genius) together with the service you get and you will feel the way we do.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We were visiting Edinburgh with family, so wanted something extra special, and that is just what we got at North Bridge Brasserie. Very glad we telephoned to make a table reservation because we would not have been able to get in, it was very, very busy! The Staff were very friendly and attentive. Food was incredible. Everything was absolutely FABULOUS.