“Charming atmosphere, excellent service, fabulous food!”
Review of Monteiths

Monteiths
Reserve with OpenTable
Monteiths is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #277 of 2,754 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Monteiths prides itself on using great quality ingredients that are locally sourced where possible. Provenance is hugely important and we work closely with our suppliers to ensure that our food comes from farm, to plate as quickly as possible. Although we frequently change our menu to reflect the changing seasons we also have a range of specials including dry aged fillet steaks and chateaubriand available. There is also a selection of seasonal dishes from the sea including fresh Scottish lobster and oysters. We also serve a wide range of hand crafted cocktails, beers & wines from around the world. Whether you're looking for lunch, dinner or drinks Monteiths on the Royal Mile is a must.
Reviewed August 30, 2017

This place is hidden away behind a tiny alley of branch trellis, and we never would have found this place if my son hadn't found it online. It was his birthday and I'm so glad he found it. The atmosphere is quite charming and the service was excellent. All the food was fantastic and we were all gushing over how much we loved our dishes. When i mentioned that my son doesn't eat any sweets, they put a candle in the cheese plate he ordered. Oh, and they made me the best bloody mary I've ever had!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,353)

Reviewed August 29, 2017

Lunched here with a large business delegation and arrived in good time, practically first at the restaurant very quiet. Despite this service was painfully slow - had to ask for things several times, reminders - bit embarrassing. I had recommended this as it is super for cocktails..

As for the food: average. Small portions, tasteless burgers. Very insipid.

Spent a lot of money here bin the past and for the lunch above, however, I don't think I will be back for food or cocktails.

Reviewed August 28, 2017 via mobile

2nd Visit to Monteiths but not as good as first visit but I think this may be down to being festival month.

Food cooked perfectly but portion sizes were smaller than previous visit so we were glad we ordered extra sides with our meals. We werent told about the specials board by original waitress that gave us our menus, only found out about it when a group sitting next to us got served mussels which wasnt on menu. Scallops for starter were tiny and I remember ordering on previous visit and them being bigger king scallops.

Our server Sarah was great, she seemed to be running the whole floor and the place was busy, but still found time to keep checking up on us and keeping our drinks flowing throughout so not sitting with empty glasses.

I would try this restaurant once more but not during festival to see if will be like my first visit and larger portions. Less busy and less rushed but thats festival month in Edinburgh for you.

Reviewed August 26, 2017 via mobile

Had dinner at Monteiths based on positive reviews during our stay in Edinburgh. Restaurant was busy around 6:30 pm. Started off with several appetizers, which was actually ordered off the bar menu, including the haggis bon bons, smoked salmon, bacon rashers, and liver pate. The haggis bon bons were absolutely delicious .. Deep fried with haggis on the inside. The salmon was delicious as well, served with a pickled lemon peel. The bacon rashers (just regular fried bacon) were served with butter scotch which made it extremely tasty.

We also ordered some cocktails which were very good and I thought sizeable enough.

After the appetizers, I was very excited for the main course. A few of my party ordered the venison, the special which was mussels, the rib eye and the roast chicken.

Upon receiving the mains, we were disappointed. Portions were very small given the price. The venison which was 26 pounds, was not worth it..We were given 2 ounces of it. My roast chicken which I expected to be more sizeable given it's chicken, was also very small. Just one thigh. Received a few veggies with the main, about 3 pieces. If you wanted veggies, you had to order them a la carte. The ribeye, ordered medium rare, was served well done and very dry. Despite the rib eye and small portions, the food did taste very good. The mussels special was also very good served with a cream sauce.

For dessert we ordered the creme brulee, the chocolate mousse and the cheese plate. The portions were back to regular size here and the portion of the chocolate mousse was about the size of a softball (and it was amazing).

Desserts, cocktails, and apps were good here but Id skip the entrees and just stick to these. They have a cute bar area that's separate from the dining area that would be good for a cocktail.

Reviewed August 23, 2017 via mobile

Oh my DAYS. Literally, by far the nicest meal we've had for a long long time. What a beautiful setting, wonderful helpful and friendly staff, fantastic decoration and amazing choice of drinks and food. We were able to wait as we were a little early in their comfy coffee table area.
My boyfriend tried a local beer which he throughly enjoyed, both of our drinks were added to our tab, and brought to the table.
Our steaks were fantastic and extremely reasonably priced for how fantastic they were.
I had the most amazing chocolate mouse for pudding, with salted caramel. The whole experience was fantastic, super relaxed and we'll definitely be coming back again!