The house was immaculate and in a really beautiful location, the area was very quiet and the bus stop was literally on your door step. It made travelling into the city really easy and the buses were very frequent. Kathy was very helpful and the house had a lots of useful information on the sites to see in and around Edinburgh
The house has all the amenties you needed for a relaxing holiday, the bedrooms were very spacious and the beds were comfortable and we would defintely reccommend to family and friends.
A very quiet, luxurious feeling modern neighbourhood.
- The kitchen is very spacious, with ample worktops.
- Good equipment, though the freezer is bigger than the fridge (I'd expect it to be the other way round).
- I love how smooth the huge drawers are.
- There are 2 lighting options, down lighting from under the cupboards, and a bright main light, so you can cook dinner in good light, then eat in low lighting.
- There's a "family" bathroom in the hall with a bath, and an ensuite with a shower.
- The shower is powerful, although the heat controls appear backwards.
- The ventilation is so great that the mirror doesn't steam up even by the time you've used all the hot water.
- There are shaving ports for both voltages in both bathrooms.
- The hall bathroom does not have a mirror over the sink. Instead it's facing you while you sit on the toilet. Mirrors generally are a little on the low side if you're tall.
- The thick curtains are very good at blocking night, so you'll get a good nights sleep.
- The beds are very comfortable. The double bed is huge.
- Easy access bedside lamps.
- The pillows are very very puffy.
- The bedrooms look over a little private garden so you shouldn't face any public scrutiny (as it's the ground floor).
- Sockets in the singles bedroom are a bit annoyingly placed.
- Only the master bedroom has proper shelving in the cupboards. The single bedroom just has a single shelf above head height.
- Nice sized flatscreen TV with netflix (you will need an account). No VGA port though, only HDMI / USB.
- Fast wifi.
- The sofa and chairs are only half back, which can get a bit uncomfortable after a while.
The public path and the driveway run next to each other, until the drive goes to the garages behind the house. Parking is on the driveway beside the house which means other garage users have to use the pavement to get past.
Leaving the property requires a 5-10 minute drive on a very wide open road limited to 20mph, which is a bit torturous but barely a complaint.
- There's a golf course 5 minutes away.
- The stores are a short drive away. I'd recommend the Tesco not Waitrose for access and parking reasons.
- There is a big selection of gyms to choose from.
- Driving in the town centre is a bit of a nightmare, even at 9pm at night.
- Traffic lights every 10 yards are always at red turning what could be a 10 minute drive into a 40 minute drive.
-The 23 bus goes from a stop on the main road in to town every half an hour. The timetable says it will take half an hour, but that's not in Fringe season for sure.
- They've likely changed the rules recently because older sat navs try to take you the wrong way down 1 way lanes, through bus lanes, or unnecessary detours.
We were met at the property and shown round even though it was around 22.00.
I stayed at this wonderful hidden gem with friends to celebrate a special birthday, upon arrival we were impressed by the warm welcoming atmosphere, spaciousness and special personal touch like beautiful fresh flowers and a happy birthday card for my friend.
Hosts Kathy and Lachlan are such friendly warm hosts, they have thought of everything you could need. Real home from home.
Although location is a little out of town the pleasant leafy quiet surroundings make it feel you are in the country whilst in reality you are just 15 mins or so from town. Public transport is extremely reliable. The 23 bus stops less than a minutes walk to the Edinbothy and stops in central Edinburgh.
I wouldn’t stay anywhere else now and would recommend to all our friends.
We are so happy to have found this perfect little base for our visit to Edinburgh. Easy to get into the city and all the main sites of this wonderful city. The apartment is light and airy and tastefully decorated. A real home from home.
This is the second time we have stayed at The Edinbothy and we hope it won't be the last. It is a bright and cheery, ground floor flat with easy access through its own front door. The beds with their crisp white cotton sheets and excellent pillows are invitingly relaxing and having two bathrooms - one with a shower and one with a bath - is a great help when there are 3 of us. The kitchen is fully equipped with all we have ever needed and, like the rest of the flat, always spotlessly clean. The bulging Edinbothy folder in the sitting room is a mine of information, full of everything you might need to know about the flat and what there is to do in and around Edinburgh. And, if you still have questions, Kathy is always readily available to help.
The location suits us perfectly. It is in a safe, quiet, green, low-density housing neighbourhood with a frequent bus service into the city centre - the best of both worlds for a wonderfully relaxing or culturally stimulating holiday. Last but not least for those of us who like to stay connected - the WiFi at the Edinbothy is great!
We really enjoyed our stay from the minute we were welcomed by Kathy. The only reason we haven’t given an excellent rating was the lack of a shower in main bathroom. It would have been easier to get ready in the mornings if all four adults weren’t using the one shower in the en suite.
Kathy our host is super caring and sweet, great on informing and checking in before our arrival. She did all she could to ensure we have all we needed for our stay even set up extra bed in the bedroom for us at last minute. Greatly appreciate that!
Her house is cozy and tidy, everything is maintained at good condition and she provided more than just basics.
When we went down to Cotswolds My parents kept comparing that holiday house with Kathy's and nonstop reminded me how great they think Kathy's place is :)
The neighbourhood is quiet and mainly families living there, the small area outside Kathy's house is perfect for little walk with my kid. Driving from her house to anywhere in Edinburgh is convenient. I will definitely stay at Kathy's house again when we visit edinburgh next time. Thank you again :)